Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CP companion upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2003, 8:19 am

Yeah, I've had this happen when traveling with my husband (CP)......I am Gold.....very annoying....of course I totally forgot to do anything about it when I got home and this was 5 months ago.......

KIM
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:19 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OverpaidSlacker:
that said, trying to book your tickets together on the same record may help minimize your chances of being victimized.</font>
Yeah, but then one of the people will miss the online booking bonus (or so I thought).

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 12:50 pm

Location: Near PHL, PA and GCM, CI and sometimes PLJ, Placencia. Belize
Programs: AA-EXP, DL-Gold, Bonvoy-Gold
This is a continual structural problem for which US doesn't yet seem to have a fix. The cost in time to correct errors must exceed the "benefit" of burning e-upgrades, so I really doubt that's it...

My bride (GP) travels almost always with me (CP) on the same record. Both upgrades come at 7 days, her as my companion. Nonetheless, there are very often e-upgrades taken from her account. We've had to call multiple times. Since we plan to use them for the 500 miles conversion, and she has well over 100 in her bank, this is actually not such a small matter for us.

SO - I call CP or the DM SC, and they fix. They say "we know it's a problem - we're working on it." BUT - why do it in the first place ???

BTW - there is a way to avoid this mess if the person checking you in is willing - just tell them to check that the record is correctly showing your number for your companion's upgrade. Usually they have to take out what the computer has put in and correct the record, but that avoids the "fix it later" waste of time.

If you use web or kiosk, I think the problem may just have to be fixed later.

(edit for typos - as usual...)

[This message has been edited by PhillyFive (edited 08-20-2003).]
Old Aug 20, 2003, 12:54 pm

Programs: United Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by geo1005:

I don't think there is any conspiracy theory here. I think the bare bones version of Sabre that the TA and GA's use on a daily basis probably defaults to an auto-deduct of the e-upgrades from the upgraded members account. There are probably so many little inputs that have to be made that one little slip by the agent and the default is the auto-deduct. And with all the pecking of the keyboard that the agents have to do just to check you in, is there any wonder this happens?

</font>
Explains agent-initiated check in, whats the excuse for kiosk check-ins? Uh oh, I am starting to sound like PineyBob. Someone stop me if I use the F word ;-)
Old Oct 19, 2003, 11:05 am

Bump for Problem solved!

Thanks to Mark M at the SFO check-in counter for explaining how the false deductions happen, and how it can be avoided. Below is a generally useful story for anyone who upgrades companions - not just CP companions.

First off, if you have status and then list/etc a companion, the system is going to keep the two of you linked with your DM number for the upgrade list. Most of us know this already. The hitch is when the companion is also a DM member - when the upgrade is processed in the computer, unless anything else is done, the e-upgrades will try to come out of that person's account (even if status-linked to you). If the second person isnt a DM member, apparently things get figured out automatically or manually as its more obvious to see what to do.

If you use kiosks, or web check-in, etc, you 'should' have the false deduction situation - even if you want them to come out of your account. The system is dumb this way. Check-in agents are smarter, but would otherwise follow the path of least resistance to get you checked in - ie not look for problems like this (not a knock on them, just a fact that they wouldnt notice it).

To make sure there is no deduction, you should check in at the counter. Mark suggested he couldnt think of a way that the problem can be solved otherwise.

Tell the agent "I would like to check in, and use my upgrades for {companion's name} as my companion". - This is again especially true if the companion is a spouse that might obviously be a companion. And the agent wouldnt think twice about. Checking in with a business associate, girlfriend with different last name, etc might set off the alarms needed to get what you want to happen below..

The agent should then check the primary (lead status person) first, with your account number, etc. Then the companion second, after you are already checked in. They can then see your DM number on your boarding pass and know what to do on the computer with it to make sure the e-upgrade is done to the right account.

Mark did all of this, and for the first flight together this year, my wife had no upgrades deducted. If you're in SFO, please thank him for us.

Its an extra 5 seconds up front that should always work. Yes, agents can still screw it up, but they all know how to do this. The reason they dont otherwise is because the system doesnt warn them about it. If you dont help, they cant help you.

So learn the magic words "upgrade as my companion"..
Old Oct 20, 2003, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
100% of the time I travel with Mrs. Dingo who is a GP she has the upgrades deducted. I've just got a form email that I send immediately after the miles post/ugprades are deducted. I've had this happen even after asking the CP rep, the ticket agent and the gate agent to make sure it doesn't happen...100% of the time.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 9:05 pm

dingo

we had the exact same problem (down to the form email). the process above should always work if done as you ask. if the agent is lazy and doesnt change anything, it will keep happening.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 4:53 am

Location: Near PHL, PA and GCM, CI and sometimes PLJ, Placencia. Belize
Programs: AA-EXP, DL-Gold, Bonvoy-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hscottm:
dingo

we had the exact same problem (down to the form email). the process above should always work if done as you ask. if the agent is lazy and doesnt change anything, it will keep happening.
</font>
As I posted a couple of months back - this is an easily fixable problem that US just doesn't seem to want to repair. The GP MRS Five has had to have about 10 errors like this corrected this year since she usually travels with me. We want to convert her EUGs to miles, not waste them.

The majority of Club and TC agents seem to be able to correct this as boarding passes are issued, but why everyone has to go to these extra lengths to correct dumb computer programming is beyond me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.