Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's With All the Blackout Dates

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2003, 10:49 am
Original Poster

What's With All the Blackout Dates

I have some DM I want to redeem, looked at the Award chart, and was flabbergasted with all the black out dates for domestic awards. There are way more blackouts than AA or America West, don't know about other carriers. Is it the same for United? Sheesh.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 11:51 am

Pretty soon, it will be:

This award is valid for all dates except:

Jan 1, 2003-December 31, 2003
and
Jan 1, 2004-December 31, 2004.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
The more progressive airlines have eliminated all blackout dates. They just don't have any award seats available.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 12:11 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Does AA even have blackout dates anymore? Couldn't find them on their website ...

As for America West, they have 17 blackout days in 2003 and 19 in 2004 compared to 9 for both years on US Airways.

Nine blackout dates is not what I would consider a whole lot ... even Southwest's vaunted rapid rewards ticket has 11 blackout days (and no waiver of blackout days for "elite" members, a companion pass holder in the case of Southwest).
Old Sep 3, 2003, 12:40 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
There was a time not more than 5 years ago that points were available for just about all of my first requests, whether it was domestic or European trips. I haven't tried to cash in points in quite a while, though, for US awards. How sad. This is getting like Continental's NONEpass program.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 1:02 pm

If you are elite with US, then there are no blackout dates.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 2:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Alysia:
If you are elite with US, then there are no blackout dates.</font>
That, in no way, means actual availibility, though.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 5:14 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Personally I've found US' award availability to be average at worst ... better than most other programs, but not quite as good as AA which seems to be by far the best of the major full-service carriers (but AA has it's own drawbacks, in particular steep penalties for ticketing within 21 days of travel for an award).

As I already pointed out, though WN's program is nice that there are no capacity controls, they actually have more blackout dates than US.

US is also one of the few with an off-peak domestic award for 20k miles also, another big plus of their program in my experience.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

I think US has good availability overall, though not as much as AA. America West, on the other hand, is ridiculously bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.