Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger)
Reload this Page >

Sunday Headlines in Phila Inquirer: "USAirways moves to fix airport mess"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2003, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Management has finally figured out what we already know:

1. Baggage system needs overhaul
2. Laid-off workers need to be rehired
3. More screeners necessary to aviod 2-hour security lines

Long 2-page article. Let's hope this is more than a little public relations.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 8:04 am

Here is a link to the article

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/6289799.htm

Jay
Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
They forgot to mention the lines at customs and immigration. I have found PHL to be the worst "airport experience" I have ever encountered. In my opinion it is a serious detriment to US Air. Given their increasing reliance on PHL that cant be a positive thing for them. I hope they realize the extent of the problem although from the article I am not sure they do. Perhaps they can divert the river and wash it away and start over. Sort of a biblical reckoning.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 7:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GadgetFreak:
They forgot to mention the lines at customs and immigration.</font>
Agree, but strictly speaking, not a USAirways problem.

Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:54 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
It is if they're running 90% of their international traffic through it. Holy plastic wine glasses, Batman, these guys who run this place are good. They have worked it out on their own that there's a problem in Philly. Add that to their uncanny ability to discover the business traveler is demanding more RJ's, instead of those wasteful full size planes, and you can see how they have been able to bring the company to where it is so quickly.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 4:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Does US Airways think they're running PRC Airways (People's Republic of China)? A 50-member task force??? 30-60 days??? No wonder this company is bankrupt!

"To make recommendations to solve the problems, US Airways has named a 50-member task force, composed of airline employees, TSA officials, contractors to the airline and TSA who worked on the baggage-conveyor belt, and representatives of the city's Aviation Division, which manages the airport, Castelveter said.

The task force has a goal of finding a permanent solution to the conveyor-belt problem in 30 to 60 days, he said."

Unbelievable!
Old Jul 14, 2003, 6:53 am

Flying out of ABE made my life much less stressful. I no longer have to wain an hour for luggage.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 7:15 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
TW1, add to that the fact that nowhere do they seek customer input. The inmates continue to run the asylum.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 7:28 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by deelmakur:
TW1, add to that the fact that nowhere do they seek customer input. The inmates continue to run the asylum.</font>
That isn't possible-- the meeting hall would be over its capacity imposed by fire code if it were to add anymore people!
Old Jul 14, 2003, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TTT103:
Flying out of ABE made my life much less stressful. I no longer have to wain an hour for luggage.</font>
Amen to that. I fly ABE a lot also. Instead of waiting an hour for your luggage, you hop on a Dash 8 and spend the hour in the club in concourse F. Get two more segments also.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Oh crap. I just realized my trip to Paris next week is through PHL. Duh, I may have to drink the whole time Im there to take my mind off the ordeal that awaits me at customs, immigration and security.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 12:41 am

I flew PHL-AMS on Sunday and was it ever a mess. I was not confirmed in Envoy and there were only 3 reps checking oin for economy. Looooooonnnnnngggg lines. My rep had worked a double shift since 5:30 AM and was a gate agent so didn't have proper training as a ticket agent. More to follow in my trip report.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 1:09 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gardener:
I flew PHL-AMS on Sunday and was it ever a mess. I was not confirmed in Envoy and there were only 3 reps checking oin for economy. Looooooonnnnnngggg lines. My rep had worked a double shift since 5:30 AM and was a gate agent so didn't have proper training as a ticket agent. More to follow in my trip report.</font>

As a CP, you can check in at the Envoy line, regardless of your class of travel.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 2:59 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MaineFlyer16:

As a CP, you can check in at the Envoy line, regardless of your class of travel.
</font>
Wowweee Zowweee Batman, is this true? Is it true for Gold and SIlver as well? This could be very valuable for me anytime my u/g doesn't clear in advance. BTW the Envoy line was pretty long too and they also had only three reps working it, but they were more experienced, my rep called two of them down to help her resolve my u/g when she couldn't - she referred to them as "senior" agents.

Old Jul 15, 2003, 3:16 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gardener:
Wowweee Zowweee Batman, is this true? Is it true for Gold and SIlver as well? This could be very valuable for me anytime my u/g doesn't clear in advance.</font>
I've also stood in the Envoy line when upgrades hadn't cleared and let's say the problem was fixed once I shifted lines. I can only speak from CP experience, but I wasn't given any guff for being in the Envoy line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.