Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airways Really Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2003, 3:28 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Today I flew out of LGA, and when I got to LGA, to see how easy it would be to walk up to the non-preferred check-in desk and deal with a real person rather than a kiosk, I just walked up to the check-in line and nobody steered me to a kiosk or blocked me from going up to a live ticket agent. So in my experience, had I wanted to fly standby, I would have been able to deal with a real person when checking in and solve the problem there.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 11:08 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
Non-refundable tickets are "restricted."

Refundable tickets are "unrestricted."

If you want flexibility, buy an "unrestricted" ticket. It's a no brainer.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 2:42 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Randeman:
Non-refundable tickets are "restricted."

Refundable tickets are "unrestricted."
</font>
It's not that simple. Many refundable tickets do carry restrictions and there are various mixes of restrictions in the matrix of non-refundable tickets. You cannot assume anything -- you must always read the actual rules for every segment if you want to avoid unpleasant surprises.

And don't assume that last weeks rules for a certain code are the same as this weeks.

You can buy non-refundable tickets with a very short list of restrictions -- if you can find them. The web site is no help at all in the search effort though.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
If you want flexibility, buy an "unrestricted" ticket. It's a no brainer.
</font>
I find it rather ironic that the most heavily restricted tickets are obtained by following the airline's advice and letting them know that "your travel plans are flexible" -- yeah right, right up until the moment that you buy that ticket... from that point forward you're locked into a straitjacket.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 2:47 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kramer1:
I have never been charged a stand by fee with US Airways. I have no special status directly with them, I always use my United Premier Executive account. At least twice a month, I fly out of CLT to TPA. I usually pre-book the 4PM, but always get to the airport early and catch either the noon, or 2pm. Now, I do check in for my normally scheduled flight, and change it at the gate.</font>
It sounds like you're one of those rare beasts called "the business traveler" who buys full fare tickets.

The airlines think that there are herds of you sitting at your desks waiting for some signal to return and make them healthy again.

Nothing personal and welcome aboard but I think it's more likely that your customers (or your management) just haven't gotten around to noticing how out of control your travel expenses are.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 9:59 am

Have to say I love the topic of this post! Even though a portion of my travel (both business and personal) is to the Northeast, I do everything I can to avoid US Airways. From baggage problems to broken planes and hour long waits on the phone to speak to a CSR... they have lost my business. I even hate to burn miles from my account because the "free" trips "Really Suck."
Old Jun 30, 2003, 11:07 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Since this thread has quite clearly run it's course from an "adding any value" standpoint, I'm going to close it.

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.