Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAIR Introduces E-Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2002, 11:25 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RMINIONE:
No code-share on United flights---that is the worst part of this. Thats going to be a lot of flights on US I'll have to do. Was so looking forward to upgrading on UA</font>
According to the FAQ on the U website they will eventually allow us the opportunity to upgrade flights on UA. We can only hope they haven't changed there mind.

Benefits for Dividend Miles Members
How will US Airways' Dividend Miles members benefit from this agreement?

Starting November 1, 2002, Dividend Miles members will be able to earn mileage credit for every flight operated by United and its Express affiliates.
Starting January 1, 2003:

Preferred members will receive their Preferred bonuses when traveling on United
Dividend Miles members will receive mileage and segment credit toward Preferred qualification when flying on United
In addition:

US Airways Dividend Miles members will also have the ability to redeem Dividend Miles awards for flights to any destination served by United
Preferred members will be eligible to use Preferred ticketing lines and Preferred boarding when flying on United
Upgrades will be made available to members flying on United

Old Nov 8, 2002, 11:29 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by planeluvr:
According to the FAQ on the U website they will eventually allow us the opportunity to upgrade flights on UA. We can only hope they haven't changed there mind.

Benefits for Dividend Miles Members
How will US Airways' Dividend Miles members benefit from this agreement?

Starting November 1, 2002, Dividend Miles members will be able to earn mileage credit for every flight operated by United and its Express affiliates.
Starting January 1, 2003:

Preferred members will receive their Preferred bonuses when traveling on United
Dividend Miles members will receive mileage and segment credit toward Preferred qualification when flying on United
In addition:

US Airways Dividend Miles members will also have the ability to redeem Dividend Miles awards for flights to any destination served by United
Preferred members will be eligible to use Preferred ticketing lines and Preferred boarding when flying on United
Upgrades will be made available to members flying on United

</font>

Yes it does look like we will be able to upgradee with our DM points, but not with our E-Upgrades if I read this correctly
Old Nov 8, 2002, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
From the "FACTS about E-Upgrades" the statement:
"E-Upgrades are not valid on flights operated by other airlines, including code-share flights"....
Which pretty much means no UA!!
I'm sure we'll be able to use miles etc to upgrade at some point in the future, but they do specifically say it can't be done with the new E-Upgrades.
Old Nov 8, 2002, 12:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mauld:
"E-Upgrades are not valid on flights operated by other airlines, including code-share flights"</font>
I would rather this than lose my US CP privileges on US metal.
Old Nov 8, 2002, 2:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ThisFlightNoFuel:
2) Can a Chairman's Preferred member who still has unexpired paper upgrades exchange them for E-Upgrades? Or are they left with 500 miles per paper upgrade as their only option? If the latter is the case, then CP's are getting hosed by this deal!</font>
That's my big question. I have probably fifty or so paper upgrades. I'm going to make CP next week. If I read things correctly here, it looks like US has found another way to hate me.

I'm going to make CP via a mileage run that's costing me about $230. Do you think I should ditch it and remain Gold this year to be able to use this upgrade program? Or should I do the run, make CP, and probably miss out on the value of my paper certs?

The reason I even bring this up is because I won't requalify for CP for 2004, I'm sure. So if I make CP and have to turn in all my paper upgrades for 500 miles each (as opposed to watching them become worthless), then I'll be left with nothing when I drop back to Gold in Feb 2004.

Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by US Hates Me (edited 11-08-2002).]
Old Nov 8, 2002, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by US Hates Me:
That's my big question. I have probably fifty or so paper upgrades. I'm going to make CP next week. If I read things correctly here, it looks like US has found another way to hate me.

I'm going to make CP via a mileage run that's costing me about $230. Do you think I should ditch it and remain Gold this year to be able to use this upgrade program? Or should I do the run, make CP, and probably miss out on the value of my paper certs?

The reason I even bring this up is because I won't requalify for CP for 2004, I'm sure. So if I make CP and have to turn in all my paper upgrades for 500 miles each (as opposed to watching them become worthless), then I'll be left with nothing when I drop back to Gold in Feb 2004.

Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by US Hates Me (edited 11-08-2002).]
</font>
ok you're not really making sense. you could stay gold and use the 500-mile certs w/a 3-day window or you could make chairman's and get unlimited upgrades w/ the longer 7-day window convert the paper certs into e-upgrades and get the 500 miles for each of these e-upgrades... why is this "upgrade program" better than the unlimited upgrade program CPs enjoy? deal with the downgrade to gold when it happens-- if us is still around.

[This message has been edited by kv99 (edited 11-08-2002).]
Old Nov 8, 2002, 4:52 pm

Location: PIT at school, PHL/ACY at home...US Airways Gold Preferred
I'd guess that the UA upgrades will be like the NW/AS relationship. They get a certain number of certificates for use specifically on the partner airline.
Old Nov 8, 2002, 5:03 pm

I remember reading somewhere that we could upgrade on UA codeshares but AFTER US converted to e-upgrades.

The current disclaimer may be part of the bigger, we can't upgrade on UA yet.

Old Nov 8, 2002, 8:34 pm

Until the eupgrade system is in place will we still warn the old NAUsas usual.
I sould be getting a Gold welcome package soon( made GP in late Oct). will this include a couple of SWUs and NAUs.
How about the 4SWUs for 10,000 miles aftre reaching Silver?
I'd like to get these as NAU certificates and trade them in for eupgrades at the 4-1 ratio.

If I am flying around Txgiving and want tp upgrade will it be NAUs or eupgrades.
Old Nov 8, 2002, 9:46 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Quick question, does anyone see if its possible to selectively upgrade portions of your itinerary? For example, if someone flies PHL-PIT-MSP and only wants to upgrade the PIT-MSP part (ie and not use an e-upgrade for the couple hundred miles between PHL-PIT) is that possible?

I found 6 unexpired NAUs for me and 12 unexpired for my wife. That'll build a nice bank of 24 and 48 for us to start the year, I guess. I have turned in over 60 NAUs under the older program with 500 miles per NAU .. too bad, wish I had the oppty to get more miles...
Old Nov 8, 2002, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kv99:
I do almost exclusively transcon (SFO) and so I'm usually on 321s and 757s, and yesterday, I took one of those Dash-8's after a long time. They ****ing suck. </font>
Ditto. After 26 months of SFO transcons, I scouted out a new project last week in West Nowhere, middle o'America. Nothing direct, and at least one ERJ, CRJ, Saab, etc. I really have been spoiled. And none of them are US - I'm $*&*&'ed
Old Nov 9, 2002, 1:29 pm

OK, I read the web site again. The e-upgrades only replace the DMUP01.

This means that you should keep your DMUPSYS02.

The big question is, will we get these next year.
Old Nov 9, 2002, 3:24 pm

How would a gold upgrade to Europe without using miles or a systemwide upgrade? Can you use e-upgrades for transatlantic flights?

[This message has been edited by nawlinsdoc (edited 11-09-2002).]
Old Nov 9, 2002, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nawlinsdoc:
How would a gold upgrade to Europe without using miles or a systemwide upgrade? Can you use e-upgrades for transatlantic flights?

[This message has been edited by nawlinsdoc (edited 11-09-2002).]
</font>
You can't - unless they turn the SWUs into a type of e-upgrade. Same goes for a Silver or Chairman's. Of course, they can always change the rules.

[This message has been edited by CLTFlyer (edited 11-09-2002).]
Old Nov 10, 2002, 6:46 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
My guess is that if Preferred Members are allowed to use upgrades on UA, perhaps sometime in q1 or q2 of 2003, that CP's will no longer receive unlimited domestic upgrades. In fact, perhaps UA and US will begin awarding a similar number of 500 mile e-upgrades, so as to prevent for example all UA 1K's trying to become US CP's since that would be a better deal. If they really are not planning to allow US to upgrade on UA, then they might keep the CP program more or less the same. If I had to bet one way or another, I would say unlimited CP upgrades will disappear in line with much of the rest of the industry. I truly hope and expect though with such a change that US prefs are allowed to use e-upgrades on UA, again based on industry trends with alliances. I.e. CO and NW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.