Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAIR Introduces E-Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2002, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
See the first post for earning information.

Chris
Old Nov 8, 2002, 7:37 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
No code-share on United flights---that is the worst part of this. So when I mail in all my paper certificated and get somewhere around 160 E-Upgrades good through December of next year -- Thats going to be a lot of flights on US I'll have to do. Was so looking forward to upgrading on UA
Old Nov 8, 2002, 8:00 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
I spoke with an angel at Chairman's today and she had NO IDEA about the e-Upgrades. Apparently, as these don't apply to Chairman's they were never told about them.

The good news: She said that as of today, no change to Chairman's Preferred unlimited upgrades for next year.

The bad news: She told me to be prepared for anything to happen tomorrow or the next day
Old Nov 8, 2002, 8:17 am

So that means we still have our 7 day window. Look forward to upgrading on those Dash 8s. Wait, I forgot, I haven't been on US in 3 weeks.

But I do have a Christmas trip.
Old Nov 8, 2002, 8:19 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerAl:
The exchange promotion is very generous, but once all those E-Upgrades are used up, the upgrade program will mirror AA's. And if I'm going to have to fly 10k miles for 4 E-Upgrades or buy them at $40 each, then I might as well fly AA because their first class is a higher quality product and upgrades actually clear when the 3 day window opens.</font>
Let's also not forget that MRTC beats US Y in most instances without having to do anything. MRTC exit-row trounces US Y.

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Nov 8, 2002, 8:34 am

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerAl:
The exchange promotion is very generous, but once all those E-Upgrades are used up, the upgrade program will mirror AA's. And if I'm going to have to fly 10k miles for 4 E-Upgrades or buy them at $40 each, then I might as well fly AA because their first class is a higher quality product and upgrades actually clear when the 3 day window opens.</font>
10000 Dividend Miles for 6 E-Ugrades sounds like a much better deal than $40 each (unless you actually had a better use for those Dividend Miles), and if you are contemplating AA, you probably don't.

Old Nov 8, 2002, 8:47 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by biggs:
So that means we still have our 7 day window. Look forward to upgrading on those Dash 8s. Wait, I forgot, I haven't been on US in 3 weeks.

But I do have a Christmas trip.
</font>
I do almost exclusively transcon (SFO) and so I'm usually on 321s and 757s, and yesterday, I took one of those Dash-8's after a long time. They ****ing suck. No more USAir trips booked for me either... not even one.

Three more transcons this year, all on UA connecting through Chicago for a 777 or a 747, wknd trip to London on UA, and Dec to BKK on UA. Hoping my Chairman's status is worth something on UA next year, but not counting on it.

[This message has been edited by kv99 (edited 11-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by kv99 (edited 11-08-2002).]
Old Nov 8, 2002, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Ok, I just made CP and have around 30 or so certs lying around. Can I only exchange them for 500 each? I'd like to convert them to e-upgrades and then into miles somehow. Any way that can be done?
Old Nov 8, 2002, 10:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lt1GM:
Ok, I just made CP and have around 30 or so certs lying around. Can I only exchange them for 500 each? I'd like to convert them to e-upgrades and then into miles somehow. Any way that can be done?</font>
If they match the UA model, the e-upgrades will convert into miles upon expiry also, so I suppose you could convert the paper certs into e-upgrades and then let them expire into miles. If US is around that long...

Old Nov 8, 2002, 10:16 am

My three questions are:

1) What happens to the E-Upgrade bank of a Gold Preferred member who reaches Chairman's Preferred? Do they automatically covert to miles? Do they just sit there in the bank? Do they just disappear??

2) Can a Chairman's Preferred member who still has unexpired paper upgrades exchange them for E-Upgrades? Or are they left with 500 miles per paper upgrade as their only option? If the latter is the case, then CP's are getting hosed by this deal!

3) For how long are E-Upgrades valid after being earned or deposited into one's bank? If they expire after a year, then it's going to be upgrade mania next year and then not much after that.
Old Nov 8, 2002, 10:34 am
ATC

Location: Boston, Freefall: Chairman's Preferred -->Steerage Status
Looking at catwood's first post, it appears as if the earning rate for Silvers and Golds stays pretty much the same. The increased upgrade-miles/mile earned will probably be offset by the increased wasteage per segment.
Old Nov 8, 2002, 11:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ThisFlightNoFuel:
3) For how long are E-Upgrades valid after being earned or deposited into one's bank? If they expire after a year, then it's going to be upgrade mania next year and then not much after that.</font>
From the E-Upgrade Facts Page: E-Upgrades are valid for 12 months and expire at the end of the twelfth month.

Old Nov 8, 2002, 11:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kv99:
If they match the UA model, the e-upgrades will convert into miles upon expiry also, so I suppose you could convert the paper certs into e-upgrades and then let them expire into miles. If US is around that long...</font>
Actually, it looks like you can convert directly into miles once they're in your bank by calling the service center. From the E-Upgrade Facts page: "Prior to expiration, E-Upgrades may be converted to 500 Dividend Miles by calling the Dividend Miles Service Center."
Old Nov 8, 2002, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ThisFlightNoFuel:
My three questions are:

2) Can a Chairman's Preferred member who still has unexpired paper upgrades exchange them for E-Upgrades? Or are they left with 500 miles per paper upgrade as their only option? If the latter is the case, then CP's are getting hosed by this deal!
</font>
Ahhh, this is the $64 question. Or in my case, the 90,000 mile question. Are my 60 NAU's worth 30,000 miles (what they were worth before this offer) or are they worth 120,000 miles?

Spoke to a CP rep, she didn't have a clue. She hadn't even heard about e-upgrades. At least she was able to upgrade me on the one segment (out of 4) I'm flying week after next that isn't an RJ or Dash8. Another B fare! This cockroach must be metamorphosing...
Old Nov 8, 2002, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium

</font>
Just read catwood's edited first post. Looks like we are getting hosed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.