Envoy Lately?

Old Dec 13, 02, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Envoy Lately?

My wife and I are planning a trip to CDG in 8 weeks. Has anyone flown Envoy since the recent cutback? Any comments on the service? Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 02, 2:49 pm

Sent my uncle and wife to London with an upgrade to Envoy Thanksgiving timeframe, they were waitlisted for it outbound but booked for it inbound, made it both ways and loved it.
Old Dec 13, 02, 3:15 pm

No matter. Beats steerage.

Jane
Old Dec 13, 02, 3:41 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
It was fine just a few weeks ago....
Old Dec 13, 02, 6:03 pm

Can anyone provide a fuller description of the service now?
Old Dec 13, 02, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BizJet:
Can anyone provide a fuller description of the service now? </font>
BizJet, that's my question. We're looking at paid US, or award travel DL.
Old Dec 13, 02, 6:53 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I'll be going Envoy to Madrid in January. (outbound PHL-MAD Jan 16, return Jan 20). Will post how good the service is.

[This message has been edited by chemist661 (edited 12-13-2002).]
Old Dec 15, 02, 2:48 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
I flew in J to CDG back in January and at that time the main meal service was about the same as pre 9/11. The second meal is where I found significant changes. From PHL-CDG, there is a DINNER and BREAKFAST. Dinner was excellent with same choices as usual. Brekfast consisted of a small plate of fruits, a bagel and cream cheese served with plastic. No hot entree choice, yogurt nor cereal. Really downgraded.

Coming back from CDG, LUNCH and SNACK were served. No difference for LUNCH but pre-arrival SNACK was awful. They served some sort of pasta with cheese sauce and cold chicken and a pre-packaged cookie. Gone was the sandwich, fruit and assortment of pastries that they used to serve.
Old Dec 15, 02, 8:21 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold 1MM, AS MVP 75K, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Flew Envoy yesterday (12/14) from AMS to PHL.

Service from the FA's was quite good. Although one serving my side had a pretty poor memory (what drink did you want again? You did or didn't want water? Sorry it took me 10 minutes to bring your Bailey's), overall I found the FA's attentive. They also went around the plane, by DM Seniority, and thanked the CPs and GPs for all their business and for sticking with the carrier. I appreciated this.

The ammenity kits were there, though smaller than I've seen in the past. Socks, eye shade, lip balm, moisturizer, toothbrush, comb.

The meal service was similar to my previous Envoy trips. Appetizer of canapes, salad course, 3 entree choices (monk fish, chicken, and mushroom pastry), cheese and fruit course, and the standard orange cream cake for desert. Nothing exceptional, but decent. The pre-arrival refreshment was a cold pasta and chicken dish with packaged desert. Not very tasty at all.

As a side note, the baggage/customs/immigration situation in PHL was a mess as always. I really hope it gets better when they open the new terminal. With 3 flights arriving at once, it took about 30 minutes to get through INS, and then the baggage was at least 4 deep on each carosel, spilling onto the floor.

I'll be flying Envoy back PHL-AMS on 1/5. If you're flying J anywhere else that day, look for me in the lounge with a FlyerTalk tag on my bag.
Old Dec 16, 02, 12:39 pm

Envoy is still pretty good, here are the changes I've noticed
1.) the selection of wines has been reduced. One California white, red and one French red and a champange choice
2.) the travel kit no longer has Crabtree & Evylen products
3.) as mentioned before, the arrvial breakfast (going East) and the arrival snack (going West) is not what it used to be.

The service & food is still really good and Envoy service is at par with any of the other domestic carriers to Europe IMHO.
Old Dec 16, 02, 1:35 pm

Agreed, service is still good. They just keep cutting back on the food, they dropped the ice cream for the afternoon interlude on my flight 2 days ago (LGW-CLT) as well as the fruit tray at the snack station. Usually do CLT-LGW envoy once a month at least, and I love ice cream, so of course that's the first thing I looked for on the menu.

I'm trying to figure out how to bring my own ice cream now......dry ice, hmmm.....
Old Dec 20, 02, 6:54 am

US has cut the service in Envoy but it is still very good. BTW. Who need a hot breakfast when there is so much food for dinner. I don't blame the airlines for cutting back. When was the last time most of us paid full business class fare? It always amazes me when passenger complain about the food service. When was the last time you went to a 4 star restaurant and asked them to provide transportation from point A to point B. I still prefer US to DL or UA on transatlantic flights.

Search this Thread