FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways Dividend Miles (Pre-2005 America West merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger-505/)
-   -   Flying round trip V fare from Europe today and returning the 8th: what to do . . . (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-2005-america-west-merger/117753-flying-round-trip-v-fare-europe-today-returning-8th-what-do.html)

cure Dec 17, 2002 8:31 pm

Flying round trip V fare from Europe today and returning the 8th: what to do . . .

Well aside from putting my miles in the UAL program, what to do?

This is Christmas.

I don't have the money to pay up with someone else before going and I don't have the money to pay up with somebody else should I end up marronned.

Further, once I have half the trip in the bag, will I be able to reverse the credit card charge?

Suggestions? I have enough Aeroplan miles to get a one way back but doubt an award would be open on such short notice.

TomBascom Dec 17, 2002 9:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cure:
Well aside from putting my miles in the UAL program, what to do?

This is Christmas.

I don't have the money to pay up with someone else before going and I don't have the money to pay up with somebody else should I end up marronned.

Further, once I have half the trip in the bag, will I be able to reverse the credit card charge?

Suggestions? I have enough Aeroplan miles to get a one way back but doubt an award would be open on such short notice.
</font>
Worst case is they go belly up between now and then. If that happens the other carriers are obligated to get you home albeit on their own terms so don't expect your preferred schedule or an upgrade...

If you take the trip don't expect a refund from the CC.

I also seem to recall that people who took refunds for Midway flights disqualified themselves from being carried under the marooned passenger provisions...

catwood Dec 17, 2002 9:25 pm

Perhaps purchase regular trip insurance? Not awardguard through an insurance carrier. That might be helpful.

stockmanjr Dec 17, 2002 9:45 pm

From looking at some of the major travel insurance companies websites.They seem to have taken us air and united off the list of the companies covered in case of a financal defult.This pretty much means all with us tickets (including usairmom(my mom))Could be sol if they close up.Funny thing is i was at the cto today and the agent said"any of these airlines of have equal chance of shutting down as us"Guess he didnt see the cwa announcement.
-howie

ClueByFour Dec 18, 2002 9:03 am

I don't think any of the travel insurance companies is going to write a policy for a US or UAL ticket at this time.

Further, I'm wondering where I can find the rule/law/regulation that requires any other airline to haul me home if US goes under. I think this has always been a courtesy type of thing, but I could be wrong.

Further, if you live in PIT, CLT, or PHL, while you may find an airline willing to fly you home, it will probably take a week due to the small number of non-US seats into these markets.

I'm in a similar boat, sort of. I'm supposed to head to LGW on 12/28.

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.

Arrzee Dec 18, 2002 9:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ClueByFour:

Further, I'm wondering where I can find the rule/law/regulation that requires any other airline to haul me home if US goes under. I think this has always been a courtesy type of thing, but I could be wrong.

</font>
Here you go... http://dms.dot.gov/general/orders/aug02/183624_web.pdf

Not sure if this applies to international travel, though. (I'm in the same boat as you; scheduled to head to CDG on 12/27).

pdhenry Dec 18, 2002 10:15 am

One view (I'm hoping) is that as a US-Flag carrier, flying to or from the US, they'd be subject to the rule.

I've posted the text of the new law in another thread here on USAirways and also in Flyer Buzz. No distinction about foreign or domestic flights in the law, nor is there one regarding paid vs. award tickets.

One catch may be that the language applies to a "route" which may mean that if you're flying LGW-PHL direct another carrier is only required to consider sarrying you if they have a direct LGW-PHL flight.

OTOH, USAirways bailed out Midway passengers because they have service to all Midway cities.

There is a section of the DOT website that shows what accommodation has been offered to passengers for each US airline suspension since PanAm.

hscottm Dec 18, 2002 12:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdhenry:

OTOH, USAirways bailed out Midway passengers because they have service to all Midway cities.

</font>
I think its more likely that US did this because they thought it was a way of generating future loyalty and business, just like they honored National tickets when they went under a few weeks ago. The fact that they served all the cities just made it easy.