Eclectic news bits

Old Dec 17, 02, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Eclectic news bits

I watched a news clip of the old US Airways Arena implode and they blew it up (down?) in Landover, MD. I remember the days when I split season tickets to the Bullets (now politically incorrect) and the Capitals and saw the ACC tournament there. Let's hope this is not a foreshadowing of its namesake.

On another note, www.aviation.com reports that 2 Airbus 330's had a slight accident in Philadelphia and one will be out till Christmas or longer. Envoy is a Dash 8 anyone?

Old Dec 17, 02, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
I was thinking the same thing re the symbolism. I was a bit curious about the naming of the arena. The article in the Wash Times said it was renamed in 1993 but then the pro teams left the building in 1999 or so.

I figured that these sponsorship arena naming deals were on an annual basis for a fee but then why would the building retain the name after "retirement"? It would not be worth anything to US Air after 1999.
Old Dec 17, 02, 9:44 am

The pro teams may have left, but I would bet that there were still some events held at the place -- concerts, ice shows, truck pulls, minor-league hockey, etc.

The name would still have some value, just not nearly the same value as it would have with pro teams inhabiting it.
Old Dec 17, 02, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Board game conventions featuring B Baldanza?

Search this Thread