upgrading to europe as silver

Old Dec 13, 02, 8:31 am
Original Poster

upgrading to europe as silver

i will be travelling early january to AMS on an H fare (lowest available fare for the date i needed).

as a SP, do i stand any chance at all on upgrading to envoy with a DMUPSYS02?

alternatively, i could upgrade with miles. the web site is rather vague about the number of miles needed. it says 20000, but will be increased to 30000 for after 1/1/03. does this refer to the date of the upgrade request or to the date of the flight?
Old Dec 13, 02, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Could be wrong, but I'd think that the date synchs w/ the date of the flight.

On my trip to London, Envoy was completely full...got the last two seats using the systemwide. On the return on the A330 it was 25% full. Perhaps others can comment on what they've seen on different days of week to help you figure out the chances. My outbound was a Friday night and return was a Saturday morning.
Old Dec 13, 02, 9:53 am
Original Poster

to clarify, i'll be flying phl-ams on tuesday jan. 7. the return is on a V fare so not upgradeable.
Old Dec 13, 02, 11:41 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I'd try. As a Silver I recently did PIT-FRA using certs, I easily upgraded on my outbound, and cleared at the gate for my return. That was in Oct, (Thur out/Sun back). Early Jan loads will most likely be lighter. Did you check the ITN site for how full Envoy is currently looking? Don't use your miles unless it's looking dicey.
Old Dec 13, 02, 12:21 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
23 available J seats on a 767 vs. 35 on an A330. As a SP, your chances are greatly improved on a Tuesday in January. But, it's also following a holiday period and people maybe returning home, or work. ITN will likely show J7 C7 until the last day and suddenly go to near nothing. If I was Silver, I'd use the miles.

The 30K says it's for REQUESTS made after 1/1/03. My interpretation is that if you request the upgrade award now for the trip, you'd pay 20K each way. But, that's just my interpretation.

Also, it won't hurt to ask at check-in on your way home if you can upgrade(assuming you have the SWU on you). If there are seats, the agent may still take your SWU and give it to you - even though you're on a V fare.

Search this Thread