Redeye flights

Old Dec 8, 02, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Redeye flights

I'm considering taking a redeye from LAX in Jan - the night of the Superbowl. I've been lucky enough to have never taken a redeye before.

What can I expect in FC? I assume it is a light snack then everyone sleeps and the FAs disappear. Do they even show a movie?

I can't sleep on planes, but since it is after the superbowl I may have had a few in the afternoon - too bad it won't be at the game which is in SAN.
Old Dec 8, 02, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
I believe you will still get a snack in FC but wouldn't swear to it ...

They do usually show a movie still ...
Old Dec 8, 02, 5:30 pm

When I flew SAN-PIT in early October, there was cold chicken breast/pasta salad and cheescake. Pretty decent.
Old Dec 8, 02, 5:36 pm

Light snack in First.

Movie.

No short subjects.
Old Dec 8, 02, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt L/T Globalist, Bonvoy L/T Titanium :), HH Diamond, Amtrak Select Exec
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nawlinsdoc:
When I flew SAN-PIT in early October, there was cold chicken breast/pasta salad and cheescake. Pretty decent.</font>
Pretty decent the first 25 times I was finally on a flight last week that didn't have the god**** cheesecake. The flight attendant and I did a little toast... Seriously. We were both so sick of that cheesecake.

Old Dec 8, 02, 6:34 pm

They should replace all cheesecake deserts with a basket of fruit - strawberries, bananas, and apples. So much better and so much healthier...

Since they've dropped the cheesecake on all flights there has been a correlation in the number of morbidly obese people sitting up front.
Old Dec 8, 02, 6:42 pm

Oh my, the cheesecake. The never ending cheesecake.

FWIW, just served it a few days ago. Caribbean - PHL. It seems to have flown south for the winter Beware.

[This message has been edited by USSky (edited 12-08-2002).]
Old Dec 8, 02, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, B6 Mosaic, HH Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Gold Amb.
I'd rather have the d**n cheesecake than the infamous cold chicken
Old Dec 9, 02, 7:55 am

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
I;ve seen the cold chicken plane and cheesecake deal for about three years now on the red-eyes. I've attempted to order the special fruit plate (especially coming out of SAN where fruit is actually fresh) but have had only a 50% success rate.

Old Dec 9, 02, 9:00 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt L/T Globalist, Bonvoy L/T Titanium :), HH Diamond, Amtrak Select Exec
The cheesecake was back last night PHL-SFO.

I've had 100% luck ordering the fruit plate, except last night where I called at 8:13 pm on Saturday night, just under 24 hours, and they would not accept it.

Very frustrating, esp. as the flight didn't leave last night until 9:35 getting into SFO at 12:20 or so!
Old Dec 9, 02, 10:11 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerAl:
I'd rather have the d**n cheesecake than the infamous cold chicken </font>
I'll trade you the cold chicken for the stupid snack mix and soda on my Express flights .

Old Dec 9, 02, 11:21 am

Programs: US Plat, HH Diamond, Hertz Gold
I traveled the Redeye from PHX-PIT three weeks ago and had a choice of a cold chicken plate or cold shrimp plate. Chose the shrimp, which was very nice.
Old Dec 9, 02, 11:28 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I miss the sundaes with choice of toppings. I do like the warm, soft big chocolate chip cookies they serve, though.
Old Dec 9, 02, 11:31 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
A quick snack, followed by lights out, and nothing moving for the remaining 4 hours. Its a great excuse for the F/A's to do nothing. Presumably, they're tired too.
Old Dec 9, 02, 12:04 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Are the F/As on a return leg from, say CLT or PIT? The block time for CLT-LAX-PIT or something similar is something around 10-11 hours. What's the one-day limit for them? If they're on a return leg, I can see being tired.

Search this Thread