Community
Wiki Posts
Search

71k tier miles so far this year -- any way to make CP?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2002, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

71k tier miles so far this year -- any way to make CP?

I have the feeling that I'm right on the borderline as to whether or not it makes sense to try and make 100k tier miles and qualify for CP this year. I'm GP right now (obviously) and have gotten there via 10 transatlantic segments + several PHL-DFW runs this year (and a little help from GOM, but just a little, I swear!).

I have about 4500 Amex miles I could transfer over, and about 2000 AA miles and 4000 AF miles orphaned elsewhere.

Is there any reasonable way to make CP this year? Do I really have only until 12/31, or will flights into Jan/Feb next year count?

I'm willing to do a mileage run, but the cheapest are still around $400 or so for the amount of miles I'm going to need.

Should I just give up and enjoy my GP status, or go for it?
Old Dec 10, 2002, 2:17 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bmolotsk:
I have the feeling that I'm right on the borderline as to whether or not it makes sense to try and make 100k tier miles and qualify for CP this year. I'm GP right now (obviously) and have gotten there via 10 transatlantic segments + several PHL-DFW runs this year (and a little help from GOM, but just a little, I swear!).

I have about 4500 Amex miles I could transfer over, and about 2000 AA miles and 4000 AF miles orphaned elsewhere.

Is there any reasonable way to make CP this year? Do I really have only until 12/31, or will flights into Jan/Feb next year count?

I'm willing to do a mileage run, but the cheapest are still around $400 or so for the amount of miles I'm going to need.

Should I just give up and enjoy my GP status, or go for it?
</font>
Fly out to SFO for the holidays on a cockroach fare -- that'll likely cost you about ~ $400 and net 5k miles -- while there decide to fly to Europe and back twice... there ought to be some sweet deals that keep those trips in the $400 range too. Total miles ought to come to around 30k for about $1,200 to $1,500.

(Personally I think I'd stick with Gold unless I really, really wanted to be CP and had absolutely nothing else to do...)
Old Dec 10, 2002, 2:24 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bmolotsk:
I have about 4500 Amex miles I could transfer over, and about 2000 AA miles and 4000 AF miles orphaned elsewhere.</font>
Only actual miles flown, tier miles bonuses (generally rare, none currently running), and the DM Visa 10k tier miles for $25k in purchases count.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Do I really have only until 12/31, or will flights into Jan/Feb next year count?</font>
Fly by 12/31 or forget about it...
Old Dec 10, 2002, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Looks like I'm just going to sit back and enjoy my GP status for '03. See you all in the upgrade line!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.