Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Tix or Burn Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2002, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
Buy Tix or Burn Miles?

OK, so I found this great C fare to CDG, ex-PHL for late December with an early January return... Envoy for under $1000 (with corporate discount). Ordinarily, too rich for my blood, but such a deal that it's worth the splurge.

Question is: given the situation with US, is it wise to spend the money and get all the miles and bonuses associated with a C fare... or should I just cash in 160K miles for a Premium Envoy award? (no Standard Award inventory left and a Premium Coach won't confirm an upgrade now).

Thoughts?

Old Dec 7, 2002, 7:47 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I'd save teh 160,000 miles for 3-4 premium coach tickets within the US and spend the $1,000 ...
Old Dec 7, 2002, 8:48 am

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Good point, but I'm burning mine as fast as I can. I'm down to only abt 150k now..
Old Dec 7, 2002, 8:54 am

Burn Baby burn.

US : 95K to go...
UA : 0

Old Dec 7, 2002, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I must be the dumbest guy on this board.

I'm excited over making CP in a week or so.
I plan on flying US well into the coming year.
I have two Envoy award tix to CDG in September.
I'm still badgering DM for missing bonuses and getting them as if they mattered.

I refuse to panic. I refuse to panic. I refuse to panic. (said while stroking my cockroach pin)
Old Dec 7, 2002, 7:30 pm

Boy...that IS dumb!
Old Dec 7, 2002, 7:31 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Don't get me wrong, burn your miles, but don't waste them ... 3-4 premium coach tickets are much more valuable than a $1,000 paid trip in Envoy though ...
Old Dec 7, 2002, 8:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Buy the ticket to Europe. Use the miles for awards on QF to Australia in Business/First.
Old Dec 7, 2002, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
I guess I should've stated that I have over 600k DM in my account. So even if I spent the miles required for Premium Envoy, I'd still have quite a few to burn (including enough for a QF award).

I guess I'm still in a hoarding miles mindset and can't seem to swith to burning mode....
Old Dec 7, 2002, 9:04 pm

Arrzee,

I'd go for the miles! Even if US Airways were to cease operations, I doubt it'd be for another year or so, so you still have plenty of time to redeem them (and more opportunities with UA). Fares are going to go up, so we should take advantage of the deals while they're still here.
Old Dec 7, 2002, 9:41 pm

Buy the ticket. It's considered cheap. In a tiny way, it also helps US.

If it's that fare PHL-LAX, then try to get an award.

By the way, I have been in a slow burn mode for 2 years. UA down to only 12K. Still 6 figures with US and some others.
Old Dec 7, 2002, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IM4Travel:
Boy...that IS dumb! </font>
Thanks for the smooth, reasoned response.

But seriously - after I'm CP, I could turn the miles back in at no fee. But then what?

Try an award on United? They're about 72 hours or less away from Ch. 11. CO can't do a ch. 11 again, so if they go down, they're down for the count. The rest of the majors aren't in that great a shape, either.

Remember, the purpose of an airline is to carry paying passengers from one place to another. All of them have done that for me. The awards and stuff (which didn't even exist a couple of decades ago) are just icing on the cake. If it all goes away, there will still be aircraft performing the function for which they were purchased and American life and business will go on as usual.

Let's keep some perspective about this.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 8:01 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Remember, the purpose of an airline is to carry paying passengers from one place to another. All of them have done that for me. The awards and stuff (which didn't even exist a couple of decades ago) are just icing on the cake. If it all goes away, there will still be aircraft performing the function for which they were purchased and American life and business will go on as usual.

So why not use your miles and take advantage of the free stuff?? I have over 800,000 miles on USAirways and 2003 is going to be the year I start to BURN them. I have given a ton of money to this company over the years and have enjoyed flying them. The front line employees are fantastic. But it's time to show management that they SCREWED themselves to death.

There's no reason to hold onto frequent flyer miles anymore. They don't acquire more perks just sitting in a website awaiting to be used. It's not like money sitting in your bank, they don't gain interest. Plus we might start to see an increase in the award level starting in 2003. I think UA and AA already hinted at this in a posting elsewhere.

I'm hoping USAirways survives and we can continue to fly them. But I'm not going to let my frequent flyer miles just disappear into dust when they disappear from the skies.

[This message has been edited by trvlr64 (edited 12-08-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.