The idea of Ireland rocks, but ....

Old Dec 3, 02, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

The idea of Ireland rocks, but ....

Was Ireland a trade for Costa Rica ?

I remember last month's Attache showing a green dot in Costa Rica as a "future service pending government approval ..." location. In this month's it's gone !

No issue with which is a better deal (IMHO - go Ireland !), just wondering if anyone knew what happened to the Costa Rica idea ?
Old Dec 3, 02, 6:49 pm

Costa Rica is still pending government approval. Route would not be flown with a widebody, so there is not trade off with the new Ireland filing.
Old Dec 3, 02, 7:04 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by phllax:
Costa Rica is still pending government approval. Route would not be flown with a widebody, so there is not trade off with the new Ireland filing. </font>
The trade was for any random city West of the Mississippi...
Old Dec 3, 02, 9:56 pm

Location: PIT at school, PHL/ACY at home...US Airways Gold Preferred
Personally, Ireland sounds great. But I think it's a bad idea for the company. I think that, if anything, they should cut a few European routes (AMS, MUC, MAD) so that they can make their widebody fleet all A330s. I think they should concentrate on the Caribbean, where they're strongest. Adding somewhere like PDX wouldn't hurt either. That being said, Ireland sounds awful nice...
Old Dec 3, 02, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
As I understand it, the European routes are among the most profitable for U... I dont think it really matters which aircraft they are flying. More Europoean destinations=more money!
Old Dec 4, 02, 7:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MaineFlyer16:
As I understand it, the European routes are among the most profitable for U... I dont think it really matters which aircraft they are flying. More Europoean destinations=more money!</font>
Is that necessarily true? What happened to Brussels?

Old Dec 4, 02, 10:00 am

Programs: United 1K
Brussels died when Sabena did. Dont know that people were flying to BRU for destination traffic - mostly connecting to other cities.

Also dont forget that the reason why many of the European routes are profitable is cargo carrying contracts (eg I keep hearing there is a good one for the MAN route)..
Old Dec 4, 02, 10:18 am

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WV Flyguy:
Was Ireland a trade for Costa Rica ?

I remember last month's Attache showing a green dot in Costa Rica as a "future service pending government approval ..." location. In this month's it's gone !

No issue with which is a better deal (IMHO - go Ireland !), just wondering if anyone knew what happened to the Costa Rica idea ?
</font>
Remember, everything going south has basically been A-320s and A-319s with a dusting of 737s. So, I don't think this was a substitution.
Old Dec 4, 02, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Hadn't considered it as an equipment issue. But along that line of thought, the one time I've been south was on the PHL-SJU 330. I see that this proposed new service is to be on the 76 so I don't imagine it's an issue.

Had a chat with international res last night - they were under the impression that Costa would be back in Attache as a green dot next month - guess we'll see !
Old Dec 4, 02, 11:04 am

Yes there is a lot of revenue from cargo on the MAN route. I recently sat next to the guy in charge of cargo opps on a recent flight. He also remarked that FRA was very profitable. We also got in a conversation about ETOP's certifivation and he seemed to believe that the 321's were certified and that they could be used for some of the thinner flights to europe, retrofitted with envoy of cours He was a very neat person. When I asked what his position in the company was and he said cargo. I was like ohh good thing your not Ben Baldanza, or else i'd give you an earful, and he said, "I eat lunch with Ben he's my friend." I told him that Ben was not very popular right now with my friends.
Old Dec 4, 02, 5:06 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SDFlyer:
Yes there is a lot of revenue from cargo on the MAN route. I recently sat next to the guy in charge of cargo opps on a recent flight. He also remarked that FRA was very profitable. We also got in a conversation about ETOP's certifivation and he seemed to believe that the 321's were certified and that they could be used for some of the thinner flights to europe, retrofitted with envoy of cours He was a very neat person. When I asked what his position in the company was and he said cargo. I was like ohh good thing your not Ben Baldanza, or else i'd give you an earful, and he said, "I eat lunch with Ben he's my friend." I told him that Ben was not very popular right now with my friends.</font>
While I can't currently get thru to airbus' web site, I'd be shocked if the 321s can go to Europe (in revenue service, before somebody makes a smart remark). They can barely make the west coast in the winter, and that's with the extra range option that US bought.

I think the guy you were talking to probably meant that the 321s are certified for over water flight, which is not necessarily the same as ETOPS.

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Dec 5, 02, 8:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ClueByFour:
While I can't currently get thru to airbus' web site, I'd be shocked if the 321s can go to Europe (in revenue service, before somebody makes a smart remark). They can barely make the west coast in the winter, and that's with the extra range option that US bought.

I think the guy you were talking to probably meant that the 321s are certified for over water flight, which is not necessarily the same as ETOPS.
</font>
No way you could get a A-321 to Europe.

A 757, yes. CO and DL do it.

[This message has been edited by ITRADE (edited 12-05-2002).]
Old Dec 5, 02, 11:16 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
On the topic of aircraft redeployment, did anyone notice Cancun has a 767 from PHL in the winter? That's relatively new, isn't it? And, in the popular month of February, my friend was able to redeem 2 First class award tix(Envoy seats!)

[This message has been edited by PHL (edited 12-05-2002).]
Old Dec 5, 02, 11:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PHL:
On the topic of aircraft redeployment, did anyone notice Cancun has a 767 from PHL in the winter? That's relatively new, isn't it? And, in the popular month of February, my friend was able to redeem 2 First class award tix(Envoy seats!)

[This message has been edited by PHL (edited 12-05-2002).]
</font>
For all the drunken spring breakers riding on Dad's credit card.
Old Dec 5, 02, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ITRADE:
No way you could get a A-321 to Europe.

A 757, yes. CO and DL do it.

[This message has been edited by ITRADE (edited 12-05-2002).]
</font>
I am pretty sure that Delta doesnt operate 757s to Europe.

Search this Thread