USAIR to Fly to Shannon and Dublin - Unconfirmed Report

Old Dec 3, 02, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
USAIR to Fly to Shannon and Dublin - Unconfirmed Report

I found this on USAviation.com, but after some news searching I haven't been able to substantiate it. I would be quite happy to be able to fly to Ireland direct, it's a beautiful country.

(Can anyone delete the words Unconfirmed report? Since it is now confirmed?)

Proposed new air routes welcomed
12/03/2002 - 7:24:51 pm

Tourism Ireland has welcomed a proposed new direct flight service from Philadelphia to Dublin and Shannon.

The routes were announced today by US Airways.

Tourism Ireland said they hoped the news would boost their marketing efforts in the US next year.

They undertook a major marketing drive in the US last month with the Minister for Arts, Sport & Tourism, John O'Donoghue.

Since the September 11 terrorist attacks on the US, transatlantic access to Ireland has been substantially reduced.

This new service together with the reinstatement of the Aer Lingus Baltimore to Dublin and Shannon service in 2003, bodes well for a recovery in the North America market next year.

The significance of the North American market is based on the fact that it is the highest yielding in terms of consumer spend, and is of vital importance to many sectors of the industry including serviced accommodation, car rental and regional tourism enterprises

[This message has been edited by catwood (edited 12-03-2002).]
Old Dec 3, 02, 2:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
http://www.online.ie/news/viewer.adp?article=1896207
Old Dec 3, 02, 3:01 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021203/dctu066_1.html

Press Release Source: US Airways

US Airways Plans New Seasonal Service Linking Philadelphia and Ireland
Tuesday December 3, 3:56 pm ET

ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 3 /PRNewswire/ -- US Airways today filed an application with the U.S. Department of Transportation for route authority to operate new nonstop roundtrip service to the Irish destinations of Dublin and Shannon from its Philadelphia hub.

The airline is seeking approval to begin seasonal summer service in May 2003. Service on both routes will be flown using Boeing 767 aircraft, offering seating for 199 passengers with 23 seats in Envoy Class and 176 seats in Coach Class.

Subject to U.S. and foreign government approvals, US Airways will offer daily nonstop roundtrip flights between Philadelphia and both Dublin and Shannon for the summer travel season, through the end of October. US Airways hopes to serve the routes year-round once market conditions and aircraft availability allow.

"Dublin and Shannon will mark our ninth and tenth European destinations, further strengthening our transatlantic gateway in Philadelphia," said Andrew P. Nocella, US Airways vice president of planning and scheduling. "The addition of seasonal service to Ireland is an exciting step for US Airways - we see a great deal of potential in the routes."

US Airways, the US Airways Express carriers and US Airways Shuttle provide service to 200 destinations worldwide, including 38 states in the U.S. In the Caribbean, US Airways serves Antigua, Aruba, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Cancun, Cozumel, Grand Bahama Island, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay, Nassau, Providenciales, San Juan, Santo Domingo, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and St. Croix. US Airways Express also serves North Eleuthera, Governors Harbour, Marsh Harbour and Treasure Cay from select cities in Florida. In Canada, US Airways serves Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa. US Airways' European destinations are Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, Madrid, Manchester, Munich, Paris and Rome.

From Philadelphia, US Airways currently operates 384 nonstop flights daily, serving 123 destinations.

Source: US Airways
Old Dec 3, 02, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
Anyone know if it will be PHL-DUB and PHL-SNN or PHL-SNN-DUB?
Old Dec 3, 02, 3:21 pm

I believe it will be 2 separate routes since the Shannon-DUB portion would be deemed a domestic route and very likely foreign carriers cannot fly domestic routes.

Old Dec 3, 02, 3:34 pm

True, they cannot fly domestic routes as an non-EU carrier, but can 'continue on' from one city to the other with passengers that originated in the USA or Ireland on the return. QANTAS, for example, flies JFK-LAX-SYD but all JFK passengers must go on to SYD and can't get off in LAX. So, US seems to be offering two flights, but could offer one with a stop.
Old Dec 3, 02, 3:44 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Beckles:
Anyone know if it will be PHL-DUB and PHL-SNN or PHL-SNN-DUB?</font>
I'd be willing to bet it'll be the "stub". 1 flight with two stops.

I think DL flies it that way.

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Dec 3, 02, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ClueByFour:
I'd be willing to bet it'll be the "stub". 1 flight with two stops.

I think DL flies it that way.

</font>
So does Continental.
Old Dec 3, 02, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
I believe there might actually be a law that mandates that you have to stop in SNN if you want to go to DUB ...
Old Dec 3, 02, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Do not pass Shannon. Do not collect $200.
Old Dec 3, 02, 5:07 pm

Good point, I stand corrected! Agree it will probably be same flight with stop in SNN.

If adopted, US certainly will get more business, both with the business market(IFSC, etc) and consumer market (those charmed or to be charmed by the Emerald Isle and its people as my g/friend would say).

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hilton-gold:
True, they cannot fly domestic routes as an non-EU carrier, but can 'continue on' from one city to the other with passengers that originated in the USA or Ireland on the return. QANTAS, for example, flies JFK-LAX-SYD but all JFK passengers must go on to SYD and can't get off in LAX. So, US seems to be offering two flights, but could offer one with a stop.</font>
Old Dec 3, 02, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
The wording of the actual US release makes it pretty clear that the company is looking to operate NONSTOP service from PHL to both SNN and DUB.

------------------
Thank you for choosing Continental Airlines, a proud member of the SkyTeam Alliance.
Old Dec 3, 02, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by avek00:
The wording of the actual US release makes it pretty clear that the company is looking to operate NONSTOP service from PHL to both SNN and DUB.</font>
Whew! I thought I was the only one who read that.

Old Dec 3, 02, 6:52 pm

The bigger question is where do they plan to get the 2 767's needed to run the 2 new flights from?
Old Dec 3, 02, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by phllax:
The bigger question is where do they plan to get the 2 767's needed to run the 2 new flights from?</font>
They are going to get them from the airplane graveyard...err the desert I believe...don't they have quite a few aircraft parked out there?

Search this Thread