PHL strikes again!

Old Dec 4, 02, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
PHL strikes again!

There I am yesterday, in 6D going from PHL-MCO getting settled in with my paper, laptop,etc. looking forward to a productive 2 hour flight to MCO. When suddenly--The Philly Gate Agents strike again!!
Seems coach was oversold so they gave an operational u/g to the family of 6. Mom-Dad-and FOUR of the most ill mannered, ill behaved, out of control kids ranging from 4-11 years old.
They yelled, they fought, they spilled everything,they crawled around on the floor, they pulled the tray table out of the armrest and beat on them. Since this appeared to be their first flight-ever, one kid kept yelling "Were gonna die, were gonna die" Dad was sitting next to me and did nothing. The FA did her best, but without any parenting the behavior resumed after she walked away.
In front of this group was a couple with their 2 small children, one was a 6 month old. The baby kept waking up because Huck and Tom kept kicking their seat, that added to the cabin chaos.
Now for the kicker--about 45 minutes into the flight, the 4 year old pulls out a rubber knife and starts waving it around. A big "Rambo looking" rubber knife. Where is an Air Marshall when you need one not to mention the TSA.
What was the Philly gate thinking when they put these folks up front? I looked around in the boarding area prior to departure and there were plenty of other options including some well dressed elderly people who would have loved a little extra service and a shorter walk to their seat. Total incompetence, again.
Old Dec 4, 02, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Hertz PC
In cases where coach is oversold operational upgrades are usually given at the last minute by just assigning those without seats to first.

In this case, if they had wanted to seat the family of six in coach (presumably they had no seat assignments) they would have had to reassign six folks from coach to first, then issue the family those six seats. This is obviously a lot of work for the agents, and it's just easier and much faster to put the family in first instead of starting to reassign seats.

I'm not sure why you think this is a PHL thing, I've seen similar situations play out in other cities, and even on other carriers, this is somewhat of a standard approach to dealing with coach oversells ...
Old Dec 4, 02, 6:18 pm

Well I for one would have spoken to the "gentleman" who appeared to be the parent. I have a rather icy glare that seems to work well also. Kids are out of control because their parents refuse to be parents.
Old Dec 4, 02, 7:07 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
On another PHL note, we waited for 45 minutes at the baggage carosel on monday, as the flight was posted on the monitor, then scrolled off, only to find out that the bags had been put on a different carosel without any notice. (and of course my priority tagged bags came out dead last!)
Old Dec 4, 02, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Thief Of Hearts:
Well I for one would have spoken to the "gentleman" who appeared to be the parent. I have a rather icy glare that seems to work well also. Kids are out of control because their parents refuse to be parents.</font>
I did make a comment to the father-he reacted by telling his kids to settle down. This lasted all of 5 minutes when they started acting up again. I got up and walked in the galley for a while to talk to the FA's.

Search this Thread