Chairman's Companion

Old Nov 27, 02, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Chairman's Companion

On a flight tonight put of PHL I saw an Air Force Academy student in uniform (don't know the proper term for him) anxious to get home. I was traveling alone and am a CP. I felt in the holiday spirit so I asked the gate agent if there were any seats left in FC. He said yes. I asked if there was a wait list and he said no - didn't want to sc**w a gold/silver. I then told him I felt in the holiday spirit and would like to use my companion upgrade to upgrade the Air Force student.

The GA told me that it had to be someone I knew. I told him the rules only said companion but if he felt uncomfortable I would not do it. I also told hin that I could get to know him in the next 30 seconds.

He saw the light and asked me to have him approach the counter to be upgraded.

What is the real deal here? Can't I just choose anyone on the flight to be my companion? Is this just the PHL effect? Remember, I did this after all other upgrades were cleared so I didn't jip anyone.
Old Nov 27, 02, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt L/T Globalist, Bonvoy L/T Titanium :), HH Diamond, Amtrak Select Exec
I do this every once in a while after asking the exact same questions you asked -- I usually tell them what I'm doing, and I've never had an agent question it not even in PHL.

Nice thing to do!
Old Nov 27, 02, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kv99:
I do this every once in a while after asking the exact same questions you asked -- I usually tell them what I'm doing, and I've never had an agent question it not even in PHL.

Nice thing to do!
</font>
My thoughts exactly. And on the night before Thanksgiving it was great timing. The last thing I wanted was grief from a GA.

Old Nov 27, 02, 11:18 pm

Programs: SWA
awesome thing to do. The wife & I try to look for a military person to invite into the club to wait for their flight.

the upgrade is a nice touch.
Old Nov 28, 02, 4:10 pm

I just wanted to verify something about this as a new CP...

If I am flying lets say DFW-PHL-DCA and I see a friend / make a friend that is flying lets say just DFW-PHL or DFW-PHL-ROC the gate agent will still allow me to upgrade toe DFW-PHL segment for this friend even though he/she is obviously not on the same itinerary?

Daniel
Old Nov 28, 02, 4:34 pm

I've done it. You can call to set it up also.
Old Nov 28, 02, 11:18 pm

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
I do this all the time--I guess I'm a cockroach with a heart!
Old Nov 29, 02, 11:56 am

Three cheers to mileshound !!!!!!
Old Nov 29, 02, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dfwbob:
Three cheers to mileshound !!!!!! </font>
Close... Actually 3 Finlandias. Two were preflight drinks (and the flight was packed) so I feel justly rewarded.

Old Dec 1, 02, 2:21 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I hope I can do the same on my trip to MAD in January.

Search this Thread