"I'm Sorry, We Do Not Have Enough Staff To Let You Off The Plane"

Old Nov 17, 02, 4:32 am
Original Poster

"I'm Sorry, We Do Not Have Enough Staff To Let You Off The Plane"

Flew on the shuttle from BOS-LGA on Saturday and they closed the door and pushed back right on time.

The only problem was after moving the plane about 5 feet, the captain said there was a ground hold in LGA so we would have to remain in Boston for another 45 minutes. Then he said he will let everyone back inside the terminal, but stay close to the gate area for an update.

Then 5 minutes later the pilot gets on and says "I'm sorry we do not have enough staff to let you off the plane, we will have to wait here".

So we spent 45 minutes parked a few feet away from the gate.

The sad thing is, according to the US website this flight took off on-time since the plane closed the door and pushed back on schedule.

[This message has been edited by Ringside (edited 11-17-2002).]
Old Nov 17, 02, 8:45 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
The sad thing is that because it went into the books as an ontime departure, that delusional bunch at Ft. Fumble in Crystal City will go right on believing their end of month press releases on satisfactory performance. Speaking of those, as the line gets smaller, it gets easier to operate what's left in a more timely manner, but has anybody calculated the time spent rebooking and rerouting these days, because of constant schedule changes? That kind of wasted time is every bit as insidious as gate delays and flight cancellations, but it doesn't show up in any statistic. I haven't booked anything since the original "sneak attack" on elite roaches, but I had 8 trips booked over the winter for Florida commutes, which I was stuck with. So far, these have had to be rebooked four times, in their entirety, at no less than an hour each time, and yesterday Scheduling told the agent to tell me not to change the March and April stuff, because there were more coming. PS to Ringside: Next time take the Acela train.
Old Nov 17, 02, 11:20 am

Some smart young congressman who wants to get re-elected should put some laws on the book to prevent garbage like this... All the airlines care about are their bogus performance records.

What about that "5,000 succesful transatlantic" flights on US Airways? Are they trying to tell me that not one flight was rediculously late getting in or taking off? That's garbage. Unless their definition of "successful" is not crashing the plane, I don't believe a word of it.
Old Nov 17, 02, 1:18 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I think with US' ACARS system, if they close the door and kick the brakes off, the flight has "departed."

I could be wrong, but I would not be suprised if that's the case.

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Nov 17, 02, 3:37 pm

Location: PIT at school, PHL/ACY at home...US Airways Gold Preferred
Last week, I spent over an hour parked outside at DCA due to the usual ground hold at PHL. The gate agent knew we would be delayed that long, and she even rebooked the people who would misconnect, but she made us all get on the plane so that we would have, in her words, "an on-time departure."
Old Nov 17, 02, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bfunkjeep:
Some smart young congressman who wants to get re-elected should put some laws on the book to prevent garbage like this... All the airlines care about are their bogus performance records. </font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by deelmakur:
The sad thing is that because it went into the books as an ontime departure, that delusional bunch at Ft. Fumble in Crystal City will go right on believing their end of month press releases on satisfactory performance. </font>
I've never seen on-time departure as a performance metric - DOT always publishes on-time arrival, complaints, and mishandled baggage. Every press release I could find from US refers to on-time arrivals. I'm assuming a flight that sits at the departure gate is going to be 45 minutes late and ding them on the performance numbers that count.

I know that FA's (pilot too?) get paid for hours worked, which start with closing the door, so you may look to pin the blame elsewhere.

Search this Thread