Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Warning Regarding Targeted Promotions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2002, 4:38 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Ran Miletracker this AM, clicked on update, held my breath. Phewwww. No deductions yet for me or any of my family members.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 5:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flyertalk:
Unfortunately, we find that some members have continued to post these promotions that were not intended for public use on flyertalk.com and other information sources.

We will be deducting the improperly earned miles or downgrading the tier status of any members that register for promotions that they were not on the original lists for which they were targeted by US Airways.

</font>
"Have continued to post"... it sounds like they think they warned us and we continued. We have now been warned.

The second paragraph is interesting. They will deduct miles or downgrade the status. It may be much more manageable to just downgrade people's status and not adjust the miles. There would be a lot less phone calls and issues in case they don't adjust them perfectly. There would be less ill will also.

They may also make an example of a few pure mileage runners. This way they don't hurt themselves as much for future revenue.

Considering what they just went thru, they should be sensitive of people leaving.

The main objective should be to put an end to this. Leave the past in the past and correct it for the fall promos.

Old Oct 16, 2002, 5:44 am

Programs: United Gold
Obviously, we expect to hear from those affected by the first wave of adjustments as they happen. The interesting part will be trying to figure out their criteria or diagnostic mechanisms for making the adjustments. eg: will they be looking for 'new CPs'? 'people who have high tier miles/segments ratios'?

I earned CP-lite last year, and would have been close to it again this year without the bonuses. Will be interesting to see how much they choose to punish me. (note I should earn again under the CP challenge code ;-) - thats one they cant mess with I think).
Old Oct 16, 2002, 6:19 am

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
I flew US (PIT-MDT-PHL-LAX and back) last month for about $500. I could have flown UA (PIT-ORD-LAX) for about $300.

I specifically choose the higher, and longer itinerary, US fare because of the bonus miles that were offered to me.

Go ahead and take the miles.....I want the fare difference refunded. This is just one example of how US benefited from "allowing" bonus registration.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 6:25 am

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mileshound:
We have now been warned.

</font>
No we have not been warned, all we have are unauthenticated messages with no indication that they come from a person authorized to speak for US copied to us by third parties.

This would have been a fine way to have "dropped a hint" that people should back off on the bonuses. We could have all said "gee alright, if you say so....", but thats not what happened, someone tried to unofficialy wave around a stick that would have made Teddy Roosevelt feel right at home.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
They may also make an example of a few pure mileage runners. This way they don't hurt themselves as much for future revenue.
</font>
Yes yes, lets "make an example" of people who flew on a BK airline on paid tickets for no purpose other than to fly on that airline.... and now we want to punish them and make them hate the airline.... you try explaining that one to the judge.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
The main objective should be to put an end to this. Leave the past in the past and correct it for the fall promos.
</font>
No the objective should be to make the program whatever they want it to be AFTER existing bonuses expire. I have paid non-refundable tickets purchased on US because of the bonuses. Even giving me back my money would not prevent me from suffering harm at this point. My wife and I could have been out flying other airlines for status for months but have been flying US instead.

In fact I just got a letter from AA yesterday telling me where I was for requalification and asking me bascily to fly more. If I take out the one flight I had when US had suffered so many delays it had to send me on AA to get me home in time. As of JULY I had only 7 segments on AA for a total of 23,800 Q-miles, BUT 30,300 Q-points. Anyone who knows AA system can tell thats about $10,000 worth of international biz class. I even tried to give US half of that (would have given them all but they don't fly to NRT....), but I couldn't get the price even close. But apparently US doesn't want me to even try anymore.

[This message has been edited by jcrb (edited 10-16-2002).]
Old Oct 16, 2002, 6:40 am

US Air does not have the excess funds to track down the untargeted. When the bankruptcy judge and the creditors' committee get wind of this further waste of corporate assets, they will stop it immediately. Furthermore, if one mile is deducted from my account, I will join many of you and defect from US Air
Old Oct 16, 2002, 7:15 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
One could conclude that US is refining their notion of who the "enemy" is following the rescinding of the no-tier-miles-for-cheap-tickets mess - didn't someone mention at the time that the coordinated cries of outrage from FT members played a significant part in their decision to rescind? Maybe they wish this board would just go away.

[This message has been edited by pdhenry (edited 10-16-2002).]
Old Oct 16, 2002, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Anybody notioce how this issue (just like the tier miles debacle) has gotten a lot of lurkers to turn in to posters?
Old Oct 16, 2002, 7:51 am

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdhenry:
One could conclude that US is refining their notion of who the "enemy" is following the rescinding of the no-tier-miles-for-cheap-tickets mess - didn't someone mention at the time that the coordinated cries of outrage from FT members played a significant part in their decision to rescind? Maybe they wish this board would just go away.

[This message has been edited by pdhenry (edited 10-16-2002).]
</font>
It is clear that Ben & Dave hate their VFF. They were only partially successful punishing us during the Cockroach Crusade. I am sure they would like to make an example of the vocal militant cockroaches on this board.

U is on a slippery slope again.

Old Oct 16, 2002, 8:01 am

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by foodguy:
It is clear that Ben & Dave hate their VFF. They were only partially successful punishing us during the Cockroach Crusade. I am sure they would like to make an example of the vocal militant cockroaches on this board.
</font>
It's so obvious that if they just fixed the program to elimitate the behavior they don't like that there would be nothing to complain about, that I wonder if there is not something making then have to put on a show of this. Like a creditor who thinks we need to be punished or something.

I wonder if they want to actually fix the program (for example the "not valid with other bonuses" term is meaningless as it would make all their offers, even the public ones, cancel each other out), perhaps they just want to unwind things and hope we will go away and not have to spend money on actually fixing their computers.

Any of the more legaly minded here want to tweak avek00's letter into something we can all start sending to the BK judge to let him know US is about to start perpetrating a fraud against its VFF?
Old Oct 16, 2002, 8:09 am

Programs: lots
I don't think it would cost all that much to track us untargetted down. They must have it in their computers who received the postcards, etc. Its just a matter of them writing a program to get rid of all of our excess miles.

[This message has been edited by pitsheel (edited 10-16-2002).]
Old Oct 16, 2002, 8:13 am

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
Right now Ben and Dave are accustomed to having the upperhand with their "antagonists" i.e. Employee unions, creditors, etc. They are trying to add VFF and FT members to that list. They are so blindly focused on slashing and burning right now as they move towards their Utopian,"right size" airline that they are losing credibility with their very best customers. Hey Ben & Dave--We aren't the group you need to squeeze!!
Old Oct 16, 2002, 8:48 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
This situation is their own fault. If they'd just register the accounts they wish to target for a promotion themselves, this would never even be an issue. They could then send out an e-mail or post card indicating that the recipient has been preregistered for the bonus in question. Instead, they decide to generate yet more ill will with the company's best customers.

As for a class action, I see the issue as being a little murkier than others because of the program rules, which are stacked heavily in US' favor and which we accept when we participate in the program.

In any case, the days of the bonus code thread are unfortunately numbered. We have been warned.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

was I the only one who listened to geo???
Old Oct 16, 2002, 9:05 am

Dear Ben & Dave,
I have noticed that you seem determined to run the airline your way! Leaving the concerns and opinions of your most loyal customer base out of the equation! My new employer wants me to go to DFW on Monday on an unrestricted "B" fare. I requested your airline! The fare I saw is in excess of $1,600! See Dave & Ben sometimes cockroachs like me turn into actual people and threatening them is much more perilous. As for your threat to penalize me for signing up for bonus codes posted on flyer talk, I have two words! One for each of you! Those words are
BITE ME!

PS: I think that a total of 8 airline NOT named US Airways fly from PHL to DFW. Threaten all you like but as your FA's say, "I have Choices"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.