Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Warning Regarding Targeted Promotions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2002, 2:30 pm

I say we carefully nominate one person to call the DMSC anonymously and ask if this is for real. We need a real diplomat for this job!
Old Oct 15, 2002, 2:31 pm

What is House of Miles, anyway? Why am I thinking this is utter BS.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
The House of Miles is the name for Randy's headquarters in Colorado (IIRC). The message is legit; the only debate at this point is whether the threat has teeth.

------------------
Thank you for choosing Continental Airlines, a proud member of the SkyTeam Alliance.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 2:47 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I just received a letter from Mike Isom (Director of Dividend Miles at US):

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Mike Isom said:
We did ask FlyerTalk to advise customers that we were going to correct accounts that did improperly register for and earn bonus miles and tier miles for promotions for which they were not targeted for but we did not tell them that we would be freezing or terminating accounts. We will ask them to change the verbiage.</font>
Old Oct 15, 2002, 2:49 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Mike Isom said:
...but we did not tell them that we would be freezing or terminating accounts.</font>
So then there is absolutely NO reason to call in and "confess" if you improperly registered for any bonus codes...
Old Oct 15, 2002, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rtpflyer:
I've always simply assumed that such offers to me were "lost in the mail" or thrown out with the other junk mail, and that if I signed up for them based on FlyerTalk postings and the miles were credited to my account, then I must have been in the targeted group.</font>
So if (1) we are all too busy to read all the junk mail we receive in credit card offers, emails, etc. etc. and (2) USAirways doesn't have the means to tell who is targetted for what (otherwise their computers would screen out non-targeted pax) then how are they going to know which miles to remove? I mean if their systems are so lame that they can't prevent signups or awarding of miles to non-target pax, how can they justify removing miles?

Not to mention some of the offers came from Hilton, Amex, FirstUSA, etc. Does Hilton send them a list of every DM miles member who received the PHX double miles bonus offer? And even if they did, would their IT system be able to process it?

Old Oct 15, 2002, 3:05 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Beckles:

Mike Isom said:
We did ask FlyerTalk to advise customers that we were going to correct accounts that did improperly register for and earn bonus miles and tier miles for promotions for which they were not targeted for but we did not tell them that we would be freezing or terminating accounts. We will ask them to change the verbiage.</font>
I have a huge issue with the "improper" verbiage.

Improperly implies that it won't work, or you are somehow warned that it won't work. See the post with the contract law analogy--it speaks for itself.

The right thing to do here is fix the IT systems such that one cannot register for bonuses one is not targeted for. Not waste valuable IT cycles trying to figure out how many people slipped thru the cracks of said broken system. By doing this, it's almost like throwing good money after bad--a practice which a bankrupt enterprise really ought to learn to stop partaking in.

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 3:07 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Didn't CO have an issue like this a year or so ago? Anyone know how they resolved it?

And doesn't EDS do IT for both???
Old Oct 15, 2002, 3:08 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gardener:
So if (1) we are all too busy to read all the junk mail we receive in credit card offers, emails, etc. etc. and (2) USAirways doesn't have the means to tell who is targetted for what (otherwise their computers would screen out non-targeted pax) then how are they going to know which miles to remove? I mean if their systems are so lame that they can't prevent signups or awarding of miles to non-target pax, how can they justify removing miles?

Not to mention some of the offers came from Hilton, Amex, FirstUSA, etc. Does Hilton send them a list of every DM miles member who received the PHX double miles bonus offer? And even if they did, would their IT system be able to process it?

</font>
I think we have a pretty good idea what the primary culprit is here ... and it will be pretty easy to see a person was registered for and received miles for five promos which they know they only sent once to each member, at the most, and each of the five awards the same thing, so they just limit it to one set of earnings per account for that particular bonus ...
Old Oct 15, 2002, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Beckles:
I just received a letter from Mike Isom (Director of Dividend Miles at US):

Mike Isom said:
I spent a few minutes trying to figure out how USAirways feels about "us". My thought was, if I were in their shoes, it would be a love-hate relationship.

I would love the FT'ers because they fly so much and have so much influence over others.

I would hate the FT'ers because they expect so much and have so much influence over others.

Old Oct 15, 2002, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA LTG EXP, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gardener:
I would hate the FT'ers because they expect so much and have so much influence over others.
</font>
They should love us for our influence over others, we make people fly their airline.

Now if they touch any of my miles, then they need to hate me for my influence over other people.

Note to Mike Isom, yes I am entitled to all of the bonus miles you have given me. You and your BK airline have received plenty of my money because of them, if not for the bonuses I would have been on AA. I also expect to see the bonuses appear on all the flights that I have already ticketed, I bought them because of the bonuses, I expect to get them.

Look you can be unreasonable about this and stiff you customers out of miles they earned on PAID flights, and we can stop paying. Giving me a lot of miles does not result in lost revenue, having me, my wife, my kids, my parents, my friends, and everyone I can talk into not flying your airline.... now *that* will cost you revenue. I mean it, if anything bad happens I will make it my personal hobby to talk as many people out of flying on US as I can.

Just a suggestion, if this is for real, (all he have so far are second hand comments) then make an official policy statement that effective, as of, oh say 1/1/03 you will enforce your bonus policy, and actualy *define* what it is. And we will keep giving you revenue.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 4:12 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Who's the maroon at "Flyertalk Management" who went as far as incorreclty quoting Dividend Miles management. If Mike Isom has confirmed they didn't threaten "freezing" or "termination" of accounts, then why did the Flyertalk poster put such a serious statement in quotes if it isn't even accurate.

That being said, I'm not budging. If they pull miles that I wasn't targetted for, then so be it. Easy come, easy go. I don't think they would go so far as removing earned miles or tier/class of service bonuses. They were earned regardless of the promotion codes.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 4:22 pm

Screw them. Targeted promos are a perversion of the whole loyalty program function. By their very nature, these are discriminatory. Since the software can't stop it, and they have laid off so many people in the back office, they have little compliance control,they need to resort to threats in an attempt to prevent what's going on. If they would treat all customers equally, this stuff never even happens. Good luck.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 4:37 pm

Location: Greensboro, NC (US Air CP = Compassionate Proctology, Hilton Diamond)
My guess is that Mike Isom is responding to those of us who wrote him complaining about the recent onslaught of fast track promos. He likely wants to put a lid on the folks who flew the "stated" miles or segments from finding out that you really only need to wait until near the end of the year and fly just a fraction on the "stated" miles or segments.

In my opinion, US Airways wants to have their cake and eat it too. They want one group to be loyal and follow the original rules and they want to give the same rewards to a second group who are far less loyal. I wonder if my wife will let me cheat on her the last three months of every year even though the rules at the beginning of the relationship were that we had to be faithful all year long? I wonder if Mike's wife would be ok with such an arrangement?
Old Oct 15, 2002, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
I'm thinking I should take out all of my miles in awards...and the redeposit them when this all blows over....anyone up for a FC trip to Europe or two?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.