Wiki Posts
Search

Somethings ARE better!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2002, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, 2MM Mile
Somethings ARE better!

As I took my weekly mid-day flight from TPA to either PHL or PIT, I was thinking that somethings have gotten better. A year ago -- pre-9/11 -- I would have to wait in line (Preferred, but sometimes a wait) to get a boarding pass, or do it at the club, which took time. Today I can just go to the Kiosk, and 30 seconds later I'm on my way.

Also a year ago the lunch "meal" on a 737-400 was a "snack" of sandwich on a half-tray with paper napkin. Today it's a hot lunch with two choices (pasta or chicken today), served on linen with salad and hot bread, in an Airbus 320.

I know we love to complain, but sometimes things do get better!

Not to mention -- shhhh! -- the 10,000 miles I get for each trip with all the silly awards out there!
Old Oct 9, 2002, 5:38 am

You mean like the change from 800 mile coupons to 500 mile coupons. But we are getting a better sandwich in coach....
Old Oct 9, 2002, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes some things are better. And then you get to see how much better it can get.

I had to schedule a last minute flight and, in ongoing defiance of giving US my full fare $$, I routed on Delta through ATL instead of a US direct (it was also $800 cheaper - I'm not that defiant). In Atlanta there were flat screen displays showing time to board, weather, upgrade stand-by list, number of F checked in (I think I saw that), a list of passengers who had requested better seats that were now available (posted after the 30 min cut-off).

I was also upgraded to F without even requesting. I had sworn off Delta after a fiasco getting to the '96 Olypmpics, but I must say the service was great (although an MD-88 pales in comparison to the 757/321 I've been used to)
Old Oct 9, 2002, 12:53 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CPRich:
In Atlanta there were flat screen displays showing time to board, weather, upgrade stand-by list, number of F checked in (I think I saw that), a list of passengers who had requested better seats that were now available (posted after the 30 min cut-off).</font>
GIDS (Gate Information Display System, I think ...) is awesome, and it certainly does show number of F checked in and number of seats available and even shows the FC waitlist (using initials for some privacy), so you can see exactly where you are ... DL is second to none in technology among US airlines, from posting of miles, to GIDS, to online seat selection/changing, to online upgrading ...

If it weren't for DL's horrific upgrade policies I'd probably still be flying them, even here from Charlotte ...
Old Oct 9, 2002, 1:13 pm

Programs: DM,A+,UAMP,PriorityClub,WNRR
I had a passenger last night who wanted to fly one way from PIT-SNA Thur Oct 10. After quoting the rate at 979.00 and hearing her fall off her chair I proceeded to pull a rabbit out of my hat and eventually sold her a one way at 562.00. My trick....
USPIT-PHL-LAS-HPSNA....Racked her up about 2700 miles plus told her to check the website for the coast to coast bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.