Employees upgrade over paid pax?

Old Sep 22, 2002, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, 2MM Mile
Employees upgrade over paid pax?

Just completed my 100th segment this year, and ironically, did not sit in First. (I've been CP for 3 years now.) Flight 995 PHL to TPA, showed F3, I3, G0 earlier this afternoon. At the club in PHL I confirmed that I was first on the UG list, and the club rep said, "looks good."

I was surprised when the gate rep said First was full (I did notice 5 obvious 'actually paid First fare' passengers). But I figured I might get pulled up when they saw the empty seat(s) if there were any. But, that didn't happen.

But I was surprised to see a pilot get on at the last minute and sit in 3C.

If it's policy that pilots get UG's over CP passengers, then that's fine. I'm all in favor of rested pilots. But I always thought that passengers came first.

As it turned out, I probably got more work done in my exit row seat in coach, without the distractions of food and booze. But it was my 100th segment, and thought maybe someone would bring me a cake.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 5:35 am

Only if Marie Antionette is now an FA....
Old Sep 23, 2002, 6:21 am

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimatr:
Only if Marie Antionette is now an FA....</font>
Old Sep 23, 2002, 10:58 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
In my experience, US is among the BEST carriers for NOT doing this. I can recall only once observing a situation where I believe the ground personnel placed two station employees in F (in front of US1s and US2s who were waiting). I see this unfortunate practice all the time at UA -- you may wish to visit the UA threads to read all about this commonplace practice at that airline. Very frustrating and maddening -- caused me to give up UA altogether.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 11:29 am

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
I’m surprised. I have always appreciated that flight attendants and pilots usually leave the f/c cabin to the passengers, even with many open seats. Last week, for example, the lead f/a asked a pilot whether he would be more comfortable in f/c; he declined with thanks and sat in coach. My only thought is whether this is a contractual requirement when the crew may be traveling to an international departure.

I’ve always been impressed that our carrier of choice does not seem offer employee class!
Old Sep 23, 2002, 1:37 pm

Let me see if I can help.

It has been my observation that the priority list is always cleared prior to allowing a non-revenue upgrade.

There are some contractual provisions that provide for pilots and flight attendants to be seated in first class or envoy, but to my knowledge, never ahead of a revenue passenger. An example of such would be a pilot or flight attendant jumpseating on personal or company business or an international crew deadheading to/from Europe.

I have seen the priority list not cleared should there be an insufficient amount of meals boarded (8 meals, 24 seats). Perhaps this was the case? But then again, I have likewise seen the priority list cleared with "pax advised no meal available."

Also, since new security regulations went into place, non US Airways pilots are no longer allowed to sit in the flight deck. These "jumpseating" pilots are customarily offered any available seat on the aircraft after boarding has finished.

I'm not quite sure what transpired, but do apologize for any inconvenience that resulted. And BTW, congrats on your new tier!

Old Sep 24, 2002, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, 2MM Mile
The official word:

Thank you for contacting US Airways. I am sorry that you were not offered a
First Class seat on flight 995 when clearly one was available. Our agents
should never upgrade an employee over any revenue passenger. I have shared
your email with the Philadelphia Station Director who will take corrective
action to help prevent a recurrence. As a gesture of apology, I am sending
you a customer service domestic upgrade which you may use on a future flight,
or share with someone else. Thank you for choosing US Airways. We appreciate
your importance as a Chairman's Preferred Dividend Miles member.

Sincerely,
Randy Draffen

A nice reply, I thought. Not a cake, but nice.

[This message has been edited by JHark (edited 09-24-2002).]
Old Sep 24, 2002, 8:06 pm

Programs: United Gold
Interesting - have never received a transferable CS0007.
Old Sep 24, 2002, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
hscottm--Though the cert that CS0007's are often printed on say non-transferable, ALL CS0007's are indeed transferable.

Old Sep 27, 2002, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL:Lifetime Gold: US:CM:SPG:Lifetime Plat:HHonors:Diamond
Just called adn was told that my cs0007 is NOT transferable? How can I get this transfered to someone else?
Old Sep 27, 2002, 7:53 pm

I can relate to this happening on United, I was premier exec with them, 5 years in a row, and sat in coach on a SFO --&gt; MIA flight last year while they put some FA's in first class. The jacka** gate agent in SF insisted their were no FC seats.

(I understand Pilot's have it in their contracts that they are to fly FC when in uniform, when available, yet there is no reason some deadheding FA should be in FC in front of a customer who brings the airlines $30k+ in revenue a year)

I did the same thing as you, wrote a very lucid, straightforward letter (no ranting or raving) and received a remarkably simlar letter, with a system-wide domestic upgrade cert.

Good to see US Airways stands up and admits their mistake in this instance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.