Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you check in for a flight, but don't fly, what happens?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2002, 10:45 am
Original Poster

If you check in for a flight, but don't fly, what happens?

For instance, say I start in PHL, have a scheduled connection to CLT and then on to MSY. What happens if I go to CLT, am fully checked in for the flight to MSY, but decide not to board and stay in CLT, never taking the 2nd seg. Do they know if I boarded? And if so, I guess no credit for the miles then?

Has anyone ever done this?
Old Aug 22, 2002, 11:02 am
Sig

If you do this you fit the profile of a terrorist a little too closely. Assuming that someone wanted to stick around to bomb another day they would do just what you proposed and have their bag with bomb go off on the plane that they were not on. They do head counts on the plane, and if you don't show up they have to account for you. This could mean anything from calling your number and verifying you weren't on the plane to deplaning everyone and rechecking all the luggage. Its an irresponsible stunt just to try to get some extra miles, IMHO.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 11:15 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sig:
If you do this you fit the profile of a terrorist a little too closely. Assuming that someone wanted to stick around to bomb another day they would do just what you proposed and have their bag with bomb go off on the plane that they were not on. They do head counts on the plane, and if you don't show up they have to account for you. This could mean anything from calling your number and verifying you weren't on the plane to deplaning everyone and rechecking all the luggage. Its an irresponsible stunt just to try to get some extra miles, IMHO.</font>
Whoa, dude. Jeez, calm down. I'm not doing it just to get extra miles. I may have to stay somewhere overnight at the connecting point, that I wasn't planning to stay at originally. I was just wondering if I'd get credit for all the miles. Anyway, they check you all the way through from your original destination. You are going to tell me if I don't finish the trip because of unforeseen circumstances not present when I booked the ticket, that I'm irresponsible?

Before you attack me and accusing me of pulling "terrorist-like" stunts, maybe you should ask for more information.

I also am not checking any lugguge.

(edited for luggage addition)

[This message has been edited by nawlinsdoc (edited 08-22-2002).]
Old Aug 22, 2002, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
If you decide not to board for the reasons you gave, call the airline and tell them. They are likely to charge you a new fare.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 11:22 am

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
If this is for the first leg of a roundtrip itinerary, they will most likely cancel your return trip upon you pulling a no-show on the second segment. And no, you won't get the miles for your second segment, as your boarding pass wasn't pulled.

Not sure about the terrorist profile stuff...
Old Aug 22, 2002, 11:26 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Arrzee:
If this is for the first leg of a roundtrip itinerary, they will most likely cancel your return trip upon you pulling a no-show on the second segment. And no, you won't get the miles for your second segment, as your boarding pass wasn't pulled.

Not sure about the terrorist profile stuff...
</font>
On the other hand...

I was in this situation a few weeks ago during some "irregular operations". I checked in and boarded the first leg of a RT. We were delayed, delayed, delayed, delayed... eventually I punted (3+ hours) called and got protected on the next mornings flight and went home. Shortly after I left the plane took off (there's a lesson to be had here...).

Surpise! I got the miles.

They sure had fun with my reservation for the rest of that trip though Every time I checked in there was some sort of confusion...
Old Aug 22, 2002, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Hilton, Hertz
I was flying from FAY to ATL and Delta wanted $800 or something and only $180 to ORL via ATL from FAY. So I called and asked why I could buy a ticket that is for more than twice the distance, has a connection and it's a boatload cheaper when I'm flying through where I want to fly in the first place. But no matter what I said, she didn't seem to understand. I told her that I'll just book from FAY to ORL and get off at ATL. To which she said I wouldn't be able to get back on the plane to head to FAY from ATL.

This story make sense? I wanted to fly from A to B. But it cost $800. It costs $180 to fly from A to C via B. I figure I'll buy a ticket from A to C and get off in B but they said they wouldn't let me back on at B to get to A.

hahaha...that's crazy and I can't believe I posted that. Well, you all needed a good laugh now didn't you? :-)

[This message has been edited by JetTroop (edited 08-22-2002).]
Old Aug 22, 2002, 3:10 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Happens all the time, both inadvertantly and purposefully.

If it's the last leg of an itenerary, and you don't get on the plane, big deal. The standby's move up the list. Maybe a preferred even gets your upgrade.

Getting points for the lost segment is another matter. Probably yes, because the system already has you 'checked' in. Personal experience says that yes, you'll get the credit. But I've only done it once in a while. I typically use my entire tickets.

But be warned that your no-show might get noted somewhere. Airlines are known for tracking customers who have a habit of not using segments of their iteneraries.

They have no legal recourse, however, to go back and bill you more $$$.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 3:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
One of the collateral benefits to the carriers which has come out of the current situation, is their ability to discover "irregularities" as a result of heavy scrutiny. These include, flying on someone else's ticket, using another person's club card, hidden cities and other fare games, just to mention a few. Short answer....don't no show a segment. They will proably notice. On the other hand, I was in Philly a few weeks ago. I normally terminate at White Plains, but sometimes will use New Haven if the fare is better. I travel so often, I just forgot to look at the ticket. I thought I was going to White Plains, but it was actually New Haven. By the time I showed up for the HPN flight, the New Haven one had already left. It was no big deal, and they just put me on that one. I did, however, have a checked bag (unusual for me), and I immediately asked the lead agent if no showing had complicated things (like maybe my bag was impounded). She said not to worry. Seems they only match tags on the intitial leg, presumably figuring that if it got there within the system it is OK. Anyway, it was in New Haven, and had gone on the flight I didn't take. Even so, I don't recommend no showing a segment in these times, but the security issues continue to be somewhat murky. Of course, it was USAirways Express, and it was Philly.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA/UA/BA
Note - being 'checked in' does NOT mean you are onboard.

When you board, your boarding pass is either read by a gate reader or the seat number is manually entered into the computer system and reconciled against the number of people checked in. If you don't travel, you simply become a no-show. Your downline reservations are normally cancelled at this stage.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 8:35 am
Original Member

The new security measures closed a huge loophole to get free miles. A colleague of mine who would always get upgraded would book hidden city one-ways because he lived in a high-priced hub. When he got off the first flight, he would offer his First Class ticket to someone on the next flight, and then go home.

He got the extra miles and segments, and someone got to sit up front. It was a win-win situation, until 9/11.
Old Aug 23, 2002, 8:46 pm

From my limited experience, even if you don't take the last segment of your ticket, you won't get the miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.