Security Line Reports

Old Oct 23, 2001, 7:13 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Security Line Reports

Given the number of people on this board who fly in and out of various airports in the US system, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where we can pool our information on the length of time it takes to clear security at various airports, with a particular emphasis on airports where lines are extremely long, the idea being that it would give us all at least some idea of what to expect.

CMH Monday 6:15 am, took 30 minutes; laptops run through separately; keep an eye on your computer as they were all put in one spot after X-ray and it would be easy to grab the wrong computer.

FLL Monday 2pm, line was so long it ran nearly to the next concourse; wait time estimated at 2-3 hours. Lots of troops with M-16s running around.
Old Oct 23, 2001, 8:24 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Sounds like an excellent idea, though this may be more airport generic than US specific.

PIT: Leaving Friday night (late): Absolutely no delays or no lines.

ATL: Leaving Sunday night (peak time): About a 15 minute delay at security. Lines were about 10-12 people deep.

I'm flying to LGA this weekend.. I am NOT looking forward to coming back at 7pm on Sunday from LGA. I figure I might want to leave on Saturday to be safe

Old Oct 23, 2001, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also post the time of day, as I am finding out that makes a huge difference as well.
Old Oct 23, 2001, 8:46 am

BDL-Monday mornings the security line is 20-25 minutes and the Preferred checkin was 10-15 deep. But they pull you out line and send you to the front of regular checkin and security if you have a flight leaving soon. Sunday PM the lines are nil. National Guard MPs with pistols only.

RDU-Early weekday mornings the lines for regular checkin are long but Preferred is short about 2-3 minutes. Security is about 15-20 minutes since all major carriers in Terminal A go through one area. The other security area which is empty most of the time is reserved for Southwest and Airtran which is pretty stupid in my book. Same terminal. In later afternoon, the security lines are shorter except on Fridays when they approach the early AM business rush. Eticket itineary OK. National Guard with M-16s.

BWI-Regular checkin line is long in mid afternoon. Preferred was short. Security was about 15-20 minutes. Here they had checkin terminal at security to get boarding passes for these with intinearies because they required boarding passes to get through.
Old Oct 23, 2001, 9:34 am
Original Member

PHL was at least an hour in line on Friday afternoon. This is especially bad, since I was connecting from Europe, and the customs area is not secure, and one has to re-enter the airport (go figure!)

PHF -- a small airport (Newport News) was great. This might be the trick: begin flight in an underserved market on USAirways Express.

------------------
Old Oct 23, 2001, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I'll add this link with comments abotu SEA and DEN. I'll add my observations about SEA, PHL, MCO and PIT next week.
Old Oct 24, 2001, 6:57 pm

Sitting here in ATL. I flew out of PIT this afternoon. Arrived at the airport around 2 PM and was on my way about 2:10. Flight didn't board until 3:40. I wonder when it will become clear just how much time you really need to check in? I will report on ATL tomorrow.

At PIT they required you to take the laptop out but it was OK to leave the cell phone in my carry on. There was a lady standing there yelling this.

This flight might have been 1/2 full.
Old Oct 24, 2001, 9:14 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Agree with JGill on coming in to PHL from Europe. Came in from AMS on Sun. 10/14. Had to recheck bags upstairs in non secure area after clearing customs,etc. Regular line was very long (100-150+ people)but preferred line was short (5-6 people).Security line was medium. (about 20 minutes). Missed flight to LAX but to US Airways credit, was put on a full flight 2 hours later. Maybe being Gold helped? Asked why one had to go to unsecured area after clearing customs & reason given PHL airport was ungoing renovations. Heard that most of the international flights will go through PHL in the future.
Old Oct 26, 2001, 9:20 am

I am back from ATL. No curb side check in. Sky cabs were waiting by the Hertz drop off point at the terminal.

Only about 6 in front of me at ticketing counter. The line was actually shorter than the preferred line.

Ticket agent told me which security line to go through since the other side had a long line.

It took me about 10 minutes to get through security. Laptop out of case, ok to leave cell phone in case.

They didn't announce S stamps but they did pull certain ones aside. One lady was told her suitcase was pulled of the plane and checked and she was also checked. She wondered why and they didn't give her an answer.

Next weeks trip should be interesting. My drivers license expires and I have a temp. internet license. I wonder how they will handle it. PA will know it is legal, wonder how many people working the checkpoints have ever seen one?

Getting to the airport 2 hours early seems like overkill but I am not sure how far I should cut it back. My luck when I go back to one hour that is when I will be in the endless line. Curbside check in speeds things up, it will be nice when more airports return to it.
Old Oct 26, 2001, 11:09 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<< Next weeks trip should be interesting. My drivers license expires and I have a temp. internet license. I wonder how they will handle it. PA will know it is legal, wonder how many people working the checkpoints have ever seen one? >>

Show the expired license. They probably won't look for the expiration date. When a driver's license expires, it still serves as a photo ID, but you may not drive a motor vehicle without a new one (temp or permanent).
Old Oct 26, 2001, 11:37 am

They did point out the date at both security checkpoints at PIT and ATL! Hertz noticed the date at the security checkpoint.

The temporary license will still be good for driving thank goodness.
Old Oct 26, 2001, 11:39 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Three weeks ago when I got to the airport 2 hours in advance of a flight (in PIT) I spent 1 hr 45 mins sitting in the club twiddling my thumbs.

Today I'm planning to get to the airport 1 hour 30 minutes in advance. Like you I'm worried that this will be the day the lines go to the Hyatt -- but what's life without a little risk

... and there's a later flight

Old Oct 26, 2001, 11:59 am

LAX on the 19th for the red-eye to PHL had nobody in line at security, and only a few in line at the counter. Southwest was done for the night, and there was only 1 America West flight at 12:20am and the PIT red-eye.

PHL on the 21st around 6:30 pm. Checked in at Preferred line, about 6 people ahead of me. Asked about which terminal to check in at, and was told C was definately the shorter of the 2. Was prepared to walk over to D to clear if necessary. Line took about 10 minutes, as they only had 2 of the 4 scanners working.

BEWARE, PHL can be a huge mess, you probably should get there 2 hours in advance, or walk down to Temrinals A or D to clear security, especially in the morning.
Old Oct 26, 2001, 2:39 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by safetymom:
They did point out the date at both security checkpoints at PIT and ATL! Hertz noticed the date at the security checkpoint.

The temporary license will still be good for driving thank goodness.
</font>
Tell them to "shove it" (not Hertz, the airport people). A driver's license is *NOT* photo ID; it *serves* as a photo ID. As long as your photo is not years past expiration, where one could argue it's not of much use due to aging, it is still a photo ID.

Presumably your temporary license has no photo? In that case, how could the security people possibly accept the expired license with the temporary, photo-free license, but not accept the expired photo license by itself? You're inside an airport, where you can't drive a motor vehicle even if you wanted to.

The security people need to realize the difference between a driver's license and a government-issued photo ID. They are not equals.

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 10-26-2001).]
Old Oct 27, 2001, 6:25 am

The temp. license says to present it with your photo license. This is one of those times they may be required to think as I am sure it wasn't handled in their briefing. I'll post what happens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.