Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What 7/3/1 on Int'l SWU?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2002, 5:49 am
Original Poster

What 7/3/1 on Int'l SWU?

Maybe I am missing something, or the agent was, but I made reserves for RDU-CDG last week, flying 29 Mar, returning 7 Apr, and we are both confimed envoy on the return, and have one confirmed envoy outbound (it was the last avail upgrade seat for now). I am CP, wife is SP. I asked the agent if there was a 7 day window for asking about the final seat and she said no, saying that I was queued up on the waitlist.

So I guess the lesson is always ask.

edit: K class fares.

[This message has been edited by bg1001 (edited 02-03-2002).]
Old Feb 3, 2002, 8:26 am
ATC

Location: Boston, Freefall: Chairman's Preferred -->Steerage Status
DMUPSYS's (old SWU's) can be used anytime in advance. The new SWU's according to well-founded rumor can only be used during 7/3/1 time windows.
Old Feb 3, 2002, 11:31 am
Original Poster

These are SWUs earned under the challenge this fall. Is the 7/3/1 rule for the new ones that will be mailed in Feb?

Old Feb 18, 2002, 8:23 pm

If you will look closely at your new SWU's, they are 7/3/1--a HUGE change. For CP's practically worthless. Domestic, we get 7 anyway and internationally, good luck! Even worse for GP's and SP's. I was told by the CP desk that they want comments!!!!
Old Feb 18, 2002, 9:51 pm

Boy I'm glad I qualified at the end of 2001 (via the challenge). The SWU's I got for 2002 are the old DMUPSYS's. (Just used them today for a UK trip in July, in fact)
Old Feb 19, 2002, 6:51 am
geo1004

Personally I don't see how adding the 7/3/1 day advance upgrade restriction to the SWU will affect your actual chances of upgrading transatlantic as a CP. As a GP or SP, yes, but not as a CP.

I give US credit for having one of the better yield management systems out there. They know how many full fare Envoy seats they should hold until day of departure. While you may have to wait until closer to flight time to actually get the upgrade, you still have priority over GP and SP on the waitlist (who, under the old SWU rules could have upgraded weeks or months in advance...).

Getting the confirmed Envoy seats in advance will be affected far more by the new option of upgrading with miles on lower fares than by the 7/3/1 window IMO.

[This message has been edited by geo1004 (edited 02-19-2002).]

Old Feb 19, 2002, 6:52 am
geo1004

dup

[This message has been edited by geo1004 (edited 02-19-2002).]

Old Feb 19, 2002, 7:06 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The 7/3/1 rule should absolutely help CP's because they will no longer be competing with GP's and SP's for Envoy upgrades using SWU's.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 7:36 am

Programs: United Gold
A few replies here:

GregLeg - didnt you upgrade a ticket you bought on flights.com with your 2001 SWUs? Can you post about how long it took for the ticketing process to complete before you could upgrade?

geo and Beckles - As a new CP, I am happy about the 7/3/1 rule. However I am much happier about the 'use miles to upgrade' change for transatlantic. I qualified in December, and got my packet soon after. Not getting another packet this year is more than made up for by the new 'anytime in advance' mileage upgrades.

Regardless, I think we'll all be interested to see how well the new 7/3/1 process works.

Loved Piedmont - Of course, if the CP desk asks me about the SWUs I'll wish I got more this year and wish I could confirm further out (eg 14/7/3)?
Old Feb 19, 2002, 7:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hscottm:
geo and Beckles - As a new CP, I am happy about the 7/3/1 rule. However I am much happier about the 'use miles to upgrade' change for transatlantic. I qualified in December, and got my packet soon after. Not getting another packet this year is more than made up for by the new 'anytime in advance' mileage upgrades.</font>
And I agree 100% with that too. In case you didn't see some of my other posts, being only a GP and my girlfriend only an SP, US is the best program for us in terms of upgrades, in particular across the Atlantic. We get two free ones per year (SWU's) plus we can now upgrade most fares with miles. Throw in domestic ESavers again being upgradeable, and I'm one happy camper with the upgrade policy this year.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 8:09 am
geo1004

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Beckles:
US is the best program for us in terms of upgrades, in particular across the Atlantic. We get two free ones per year (SWU's) plus we can now upgrade most fares with miles. Throw in domestic ESavers again being upgradeable, and I'm one happy camper with the upgrade policy this year.</font>

Mark you calendars folks!!! geo and Beckles are in complete agreement.

Old Feb 19, 2002, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Sorry folks, but I have to disagree with the general consensus regarding the usefulness of the new 7/3/1 SWU for transatlantic travel. I think they will be much less useful for this type of trip in comparsion with the old SWU's.

Personally, I believe that most of us will now upgrade transatlantic flights using miles. For the Gold and CP folks here, we tend to have lots of miles in our accounts. An upgrade from a cheap (K) fare is 40K miles. With the 100% bonus for G and CP, the net cost for a upgraded round-trip is only 20K miles. Also, note that the mileage upgrades apply to all DM members, not just elites. This means that anyone with the miles can easily get upgrades, not just elites. I think that by the time 7/3/1 windows open, only the CP's will have much luck with upgrades.

Only time will tell with this issue. However, if I were planning a summer trip to CDG or FCO, I would definitely be planning on upgrading with miles.
Old Feb 20, 2002, 7:09 pm

Agree with above. Don't forget all the corporate deals with upgrades. Anyone who thinks that there will be much availability 7 days out much less 3 is blowing smoke. This is a change that only benefits the airline and the big corps., not us ordinary folks who bust our buts and remain loyal thru all the chaos.
Old Feb 20, 2002, 7:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by loved piedmont:
Agree with above. Don't forget all the corporate deals with upgrades. Anyone who thinks that there will be much availability 7 days out much less 3 is blowing smoke. This is a change that only benefits the airline and the big corps., not us ordinary folks who bust our buts and remain loyal thru all the chaos.</font>

Yeah, these SWU's are crap compared to the free international upgrades I get as a Gold on Delta or what I would get at equivalent levels on CO, NW, UA, or AA ...

Not to mention the fare restrictions on international upgrades compared to DL, CO, NW, or UA (ok, AA gets by on that one ...).
Old Feb 20, 2002, 8:19 pm

US is sensitive to their CP's and GP's thoughts. Let them have some. We may get this changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.