FA Sickout last week?

Old Dec 29, 2001, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA
FA Sickout last week?

I just saw a ticker item on the news about US having to cancel flights due to a FA sickout last week. Anyone se or hear anything on this?
Old Dec 29, 2001, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
My flight was delayed 30 minutes on Xmas morning dur to FA calling in sick.
Old Dec 29, 2001, 7:38 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
local (PHL) news said that something like 10% of US's PHL flights had to be cancelled on the day after x-mas due to crew sickness.
Old Dec 30, 2001, 5:08 am

2 of the first 4 DFW-CLT flights canceled for "crew problems" on Xmas. We were supposed to leave at 230, ended up on the 1230 flight. Since that flight still wasn't full, even with the cancellations, it makes me wonder if this wasn't one of those situations where all the FA's know they can use some sick days without really costing anybody.
Old Dec 30, 2001, 7:20 am

11 US flights from PHL and 67 US flights nation wide canceled. Folks were waiting 3 hrs. for checkin and missing their flights. Local news covered it.
Old Dec 30, 2001, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I hope the FA's remember this before they start complaining about their jobs getting cut. In a non-union environment, these dumba$$es would be fired in a heartbeat and justifiably so in my opinion.
Old Dec 30, 2001, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
An F/A told me that this wasn't organized by the union. He said it was coincidental that all these F/As called in sick.

Regardless if that's the case or not, hopefully this incident will give management more leverage in sacking "union-protected" disgruntled employees.
Old Dec 30, 2001, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was delayed on xmas evening for about 20 minutes. The flight to SFO next door had the same problem.
Old Dec 31, 2001, 6:24 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerAl:
An F/A told me that this wasn't organized by the union. He said it was coincidental that all these F/As called in sick.
</font>
What a pile of garbage ... if 10% of the F/A's called in sick, I would seriously doubt that's a "coincidence" ... I could believe it was not organized by the union though, maybe just a group of F/A's ...

I know a couple of ORD-CLT flights were cancelled on the day after X-mas also.
Old Dec 31, 2001, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EP
I was on a LAX-CLT flight day after Charistmas. They cancelled the flight due to a sick flight attendant, but they reinstated it when someone on vacation volunteered to work the flight. There was a big cheer when he stepped up saying he would work.

But the bigger mess was at the LAX ticket counter. 3 people working the coach line that was wrapping around outside the terminal, and 1 person working Preferred/FC line. I waited over an hour there--and then only 10 minutes through security. The opposite of what I was expecting, after the incident over last weekend. And I wore my new socks I just got from Santa....

When I asked in the club about the line at the counter, she said they had furloughed folks 2 weeks before, and it has been like that ever since. What a shame....and what the **%# were they thinking?
Old Jan 1, 2002, 6:11 pm

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
I can confirm my flat mate was furloughed from US Airways ( it starts 1/1/02) but she as well as others decided to use up their sick days
Old Jan 2, 2002, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Aluminum tubing:
I can confirm my flat mate was furloughed from US Airways ( it starts 1/1/02) but she as well as others decided to use up their sick days </font>
I wish I had a flat. I wish I knew what one was as well, but they sure sound better than apartments!
Old Jan 2, 2002, 9:43 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dingo:
I wish I had a flat. I wish I knew what one was as well, but they sure sound better than apartments!</font>
Wise guy ...

I believe a flat is a single story apartment.
Old Jan 2, 2002, 11:47 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Wiser guy......

flat 2 [flat ] (plural flats) noun
U.K. See apartment n.1

[Early 19th century. Alteration, influenced by flat1, of Scots flet "interior of a house," from Old English flet(t) "house," earlier "floor." Ultimately from the same Indo-European word as English flat1.]

[This message has been edited by planeluvr (edited 01-02-2002).]
Old Jan 2, 2002, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just think, if you live in a flat, you can eat breaky too!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.