Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGW transfer to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2002, 8:37 am
Original Poster

LGW transfer to LHR

I'm flying PHL-LGW next week and connect to a flight out of LHR. Has anyone flown US to LGW recently? Are the flights getting in early? What is a reasonable connection time from LGW to LHR?
Old Jan 2, 2002, 10:14 am

Programs: SQ Solitaire PPS AA nothing short of 1m miler US CP, HH Diamond,
Not a good idear in the winter.
If there is snow or ice on the highway transferring from LGW to LHR with the shuttel bus that can easily eat up up to two hours. To be really on the safe side you have to allow at least 4 hours transfer time.
I strongly advise not to do this. Have done it once in the winter and all I saw from my AA flight at LHR were the red blinking lights when I just arrived at the terminal.
And we all know that means the doors were already closed .........
Connect to another european gateway like AMS or FRA or Paris transfer s there are much better............
Have fun and a good new year
Old Jan 2, 2002, 12:25 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Although it is awkward and time consuming, the LGW-LHR transfer can be done on public transportation that does not involve roadway trafic.

Take the Gatwick Express from LGW to Victoria Station. (about 35 minutes plus wait time)

Take the Circle Line Tube from Victoria Station to Paddington Station. (about 20 minutes plus wait time)

Take the Heathrow Express from Paddington to LHR. (about 15 minutes plus wait time)

All together, the above would probably take about 2 hours!

Also possible is to take 2 Tube lines from Victoria Station to LHR. This is cheaper and takes about 20 minutes longer but Tube travel and tranfers are not for everyone.
Old Jan 2, 2002, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
I've heard a minimum of 4 hours - but I'd budget for a good bit more (say maybe 6 or so). Plus, hey, if you have an evening flight out of LHR, it'll give you time to wander a bit in London.

Remember, no airline will transport your bags to LHR from LGW (used to happen, but since 9/11 ...), so you're responsible for taking them over there. Left luggage or the check-ins at Paddington would be the way to go if you have a lengthy layover.
Old Jan 2, 2002, 12:56 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
A number of train services run direct from Gatwick Airport Station into London.
Direct services to London Victoria station.
Gatwick Express trains run every 15 minutes from 05:20 to 00:50 and hourly overnight. Journey time 30 minutes. Information line: 0870 530 1530.

Fare: £10.20 one way, return/round trip is £19.50. Same day return (valid from 9.30 am) is £11.70.

http://www.londontransport.co.uk/images/jp_big.jpg
http://www.londontransport.co.uk/ftt...e_carnet.shtml

[This message has been edited by planeluvr (edited 01-02-2002).]
Old Jan 2, 2002, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the input. I had hoped to make a connection in 2 hours, but I know this is impossible. I'll just take the next flight a few hours later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.