Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will US cut some slack on challenge mileage?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2001, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Will US cut some slack on challenge mileage?

My GF (current SP) and mother are signed up for Gold and Silver challenges respectively. My mother is short 52 miles for SP while my GF will be short 66 miles for GP when our FLL-PIT-SEA flights post. Is there any chance that US would cut them some slack and give them the status if they ask nicely?
Old Dec 5, 2001, 8:55 pm

Isn't a challenge already a seriously discounted level? Why set a minimum of 6,250 when US will bestow the level at 6,200? Doesn't seem fair that US would be flexible on a challenge. What should be the 'real' bottom limit? 6,000? 5,500?

I'm 227 miles short of the 20k for silver this year, and the SP desk asked me "when is your flight before 12/31 planned?"

Now I hear that there may be SP and "SP Lite" for 2002. As in if someone has the 25k flight miles, they get the 2 SWU's and 2 NAU's in their March package, where if someone like me who only flies 20k this year will only get the 2 NAU's. What about the challenge people? They only flew 6,250 miles...do they get SP or "SP Lite"?

Sorry about the rant...

[This message has been edited by PointJunkie (edited 12-05-2001).]
Old Dec 6, 2001, 12:10 am

I have to agree. Getting status by challenge is already a great deal (it is how I made silver earlier this year) and I don't think they should cut anyone any slack. I do think they should cut people slack if they are very close to the regular thresholds (25,000, etc.) but not for the reduced thresholds or challenge thresholds (and I will be requalifying using the reduced thresholds, so what I am saying does apply to me!)

On a seperate, but related, question: as an existing silver can I qualify for gold using a challenge next year? Has anyone heard anything about challenges in the first quarter of the year (i.e. dates)? It would be nice if I could make gold that way, but I especially want to use it to enable my girlfriend to make silver, so that she will be able to use her own NAUs when we travel.
Old Dec 6, 2001, 12:12 am

I just realized that based on the information in the original post that the answer to my question must be 'yes'. But that still leaves the question as to whether anyone has heard about challenge offers for the beginning of 2002...
Old Dec 6, 2001, 4:16 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
i agree with all about usairways shouldn't "discount" challenges and i think they should cut slack only on the reg levels.

however, increasingly i think usairways is becoming just like the others in terms of rudeness. if someone's just shy of 20k this year and asks if us will push them over, the response should be a polite "no sir, we won't be reducing the mileage levels below the already reduced levels. it's not fair to others..." however, they should not say things like "when is your next trip booked?" it's a reasonable question and deserves a reasonable answer.
Old Dec 6, 2001, 5:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
My GF (current SP) and mother are signed up for Gold and Silver challenges respectively. My mother is short 52 miles for SP while my GF will be short 66 miles for GP when our FLL-PIT-SEA flights post. Is there any chance that US would cut them some slack and give them the status if they ask nicely?</font>
No go, unfortunately. I had a friend recently who tried to do the SP challenge last summer in one trip DCA-ORF-PHL-SAN-PIT-PHL-ORF. Problems happened in ORF and he was rerouted ORF-PIT-SAN...He wound up short by 38 miles!

Can your mom and GF reroute FLL-PHL-SEA? The distance between PHL-and PIT should get you over the hump.

[This message has been edited by ITRADE (edited 12-06-2001).]
Old Dec 6, 2001, 6:43 am
geo1004

Want to be elite? Fly the miles.

Asking for a discount on a discount is in poor taste and I would hope US would emphatically say no.

BTW, this goes for expired Club certs also.

Old Dec 6, 2001, 7:06 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kv99:
however, they should not say things like "when is your next trip booked?" it's a reasonable question and deserves a reasonable answer.</font>
Before we jump down US's throat here, it wasn't clear in the original message if it was asked in a rude manner, because depending on the conversation, tone, etc, I would not automatically interpret such a comment as rude ...
Old Dec 7, 2001, 12:05 am

If it makes any difference to anyone, I'm planning another GSO-CLT-ATL-CLT-GSO run for $83.50 on an upcoming weekend day. That will definitely put me over 20k for the year.
Old Dec 7, 2001, 5:04 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
beckles -- point taken, maybe it wasn't meant to be rude. increasingly, though, i've had usairways reps ask me things exactly like that. i hate to see our airline turning into another united
Old Dec 7, 2001, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
My GF has 33k+ miles for the year. Over 1/3rd of that came in the past 2 months.
Old Dec 8, 2001, 12:52 am

Instead of driving to GSO, I get a rare CLT sale and I'm doing a same day trip to PHL.

http://www.usairways.com/promotions/...s/phl_shop.htm

These are only valid on Saturdays in December from a number of cities to PHL. It's $78.00 RT CLT-PHL.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum51/HTML/001893.html

[This message has been edited by PointJunkie (edited 12-08-2001).]
Old Dec 19, 2001, 11:46 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by geo1004:
Asking for a discount on a discount is in poor taste and I would hope US would emphatically say no.</font>
Amen.

[This message has been edited by LGA (edited 12-19-2001).]
Old Dec 19, 2001, 12:51 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
This past summer, I sign up for the Gold challenge. (thanks to FT for all the great info!) I had booked a SAN-LGW trip for cheap! I was silver at the time. I would have about 500-700 miles short of the Gold challenge. What did I do? Book another trip! I booked LAX-RDU for under $200 total. By the end of the year, I went to Europe 4 or 5 times, did a few transcons & picked up lots of miles! Got upgraded alot using systemwides & 800 milers. Bottom line: Fly & make sure you have more miles than the challenge requires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.