Can you stand by for FC only on a Coach ticket?

Old Feb 8, 01, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, HH Dia, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Avis First, Hertz PC
Can you stand by for FC only on a Coach ticket?

On DL if you have an upgradeable ticket you can stand by for FC only on an earlier flight, and not coach. On UA on the other hand, you have to standby for coach, only then after you have a coach seat can you go for an FC seat (that's my understanding anyway).

What's the rule on US. Can I standby for an FC seat with a coach ticket?
Old Feb 8, 01, 9:43 am

Hello,

This is a good question. The two times that I (I'm Gold Preferred) have done this (standby for FC on an earlier flight with a coach ticket), the gate agents implied that I would be after any Preferred level (CP, GP, SP) ticketed passenger who was waitlisted for FC.

The two locations were CLT and LGA. I hope that some more experienced US FTers have an answer.

Va.SquireFlyer
Old Feb 10, 01, 5:47 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
I've done this as well, but as Chairman's was behind every variety of elite who where originally booked on the earlier flight and waitlisted for upgrades. In two cases, I didn't get first, but got one of the fairly good coach seats those folks had relinquished for their upgrade.. and I got home earlier. I'd only be willing to do this for a short flight home.

So I guess the answer is no? But now that I think about it, if I had actually changed my res to that flight, in coach, and waitlisted for first, I could have trumped some of those waiting. But that would require a change fee -
Old Feb 11, 01, 10:37 am

I know UA has put me in an upgraded first seat even if coach was completely sold out. They just did this for me a few weeks ago in fact. I wanted to change/go standby for an earlier flight, but coach was sold out. The agent checked that there were still NF (upgraded first) seats available, and confirmed me with no change-fee either . They've done this for me at least 4 times in the past in similar situations too. I'm not sure however if it is the rules or the exeption. But I've never been told no when asking someone to look at this.

I know there's a lot of UA bashing on this board (much of it admittedly deserved), but they do have their good points too!

For the record, I love 'em both