BUMPING

Old Dec 13, 2000, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
BUMPING

Have been checking my itinerary for an upcoming US trip to the Left Coast. I've noticed that when I check the seat map through ITN.net, the seat map for my leg to SAN is not available. Do I make the assumption that all seats are therefore taken and to assume a higher than normal bump probability??
Old Dec 13, 2000, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
Not necessarily. Airlines usually cut off advance seat assignments when the flight is about 60%-70% full. The rest are held for airport check-in only. The best way to find out if a flight is overbooked is by calling Reservations. The agent might even "slip" the boarding total numbers to you.
Old Dec 13, 2000, 6:17 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally posted by ITRADE:
Have been checking my itinerary for an upcoming US trip to the Left Coast. I've noticed that when I check the seat map through ITN.net, the seat map for my leg to SAN is not available.
I keep seeing these hints that ITN has some special insight into seating availability. Do you have to book the trip through them or can anyone find this info (I don't see anything obvious when I pop over to itn.net)

Old Dec 13, 2000, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally posted by TomBascom:
I keep seeing these hints that ITN has some special insight into seating availability.
Tom, when you register, make sure to check the box that you are an advanced (or experienced...) user. Then when you pull up flights, you will see the inventory for all the fare classes (which could be the begining of the battle).

Old Dec 14, 2000, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally posted by avek00:
Not necessarily. Airlines usually cut off advance seat assignments when the flight is about 60%-70% full. The rest are held for airport check-in only. The best way to find out if a flight is overbooked is by calling Reservations. The agent might even "slip" the boarding total numbers to you.
True of most airlines, but I don't think that holds true of US. I've seen plenty of US Express flights which were the flight was authorized to 40 or so and 36 seats were sold. Only one little green seat was available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.