Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The glass is half full...GS 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:32 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Last year, there was a tweet confirming it in mid-August. I would hold off until then.

I tweeted last week that I was looking forward to the 2012 Grand Slam, that it was my favorite promotion of the year. The twitter team responded with "We're looking forward to it too!".

Anybody else tweeted or e-mailed?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
What does flying have to do with Grand Slam? Grand Slam is about getting your fiberglass bigfoot a wine tasting guide and a night at the local Quality Inn.
You forgot about the delicious cookies and a useless car for an hour at an airport in the middle of nowhere ;-)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by KathinJax
Last year, there was a tweet confirming it in mid-August. I would hold off until then.

I tweeted last week that I was looking forward to the 2012 Grand Slam, that it was my favorite promotion of the year. The twitter team responded with "We're looking forward to it too!".

Anybody else tweeted or e-mailed?
This would be just awesome. GS did get me and Mrs. Prof from Europe to Australia in style three times by now..
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by ProfNapalm
You forgot about the delicious cookies and a useless car for an hour at an airport in the middle of nowhere ;-)
I resent that. I took several nice drives from DCA to Union Station in DC, which was like taking Metro, only a) faster (no need to transfer) and b) worth more miles.

Also: Biscoff spread. How can something so good be so bad for you?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
I resent that. I took several nice drives from DCA to Union Station in DC, which was like taking Metro, only a) faster (no need to transfer) and b) worth more miles.

Ahh yes the spread.. how much weight did you gain ?

But rly faster from DCA to union ? 2 am ?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Ahhh yes, my three consecutive one day rentals in ABE.

They first day I scored a great upgrade, the agent looked at me like I was nuts when I handed him the keys 5 seconds after I signed for the rental. I explained what I was doing and the next day I got the exact clunker I reserved....

Last edited by Gamecock; Jul 15, 2012 at 8:36 pm
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by beltway

You actually drove your car?

Okay, I have to say it. That Biscoff spread is gross. Seriously. Next time around, if it's the cheapest item, I'm donating it to charity.

Mike
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:14 pm

But rly faster from DCA to union ? 2 am ?
On the weekend, so a) no real traffic and b) the usual long waits between Metro trains (plus a transfer), so yes, much faster.

Originally Posted by mikeef
You actually drove your car?
For some I did a no-touch rental out of Union Station. For other weekends, though, the rate was substantially lower to pick up at DCA, so I took a scenic 10-minute drive up the parkway, over the bridge, past the fish market, into the tunnel, and up to a century-old landmark. What's not to like?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: BD, USAir, BA, Iberia, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by KathinJax
Last year, there was a tweet confirming it in mid-August. I would hold off until then.?
Thanks for that. I shall certainly do so!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
We are pretty well prepared for GS12 if it happens-got all the hotel points topped up as well as E-Miles and E-Rewards. The one thing that does worry me is how much longer US will stay in *A. I think the current contract expires in 2014, so what happens after that? Can the other airlines kick US out? And if US left *A, what other partners would they have, you can't redeem on QR. I'd want to know more before I spend money on stuff I don't want like flowers and email addresses.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Tiki
We are pretty well prepared for GS12 if it happens-got all the hotel points topped up as well as E-Miles and E-Rewards. The one thing that does worry me is how much longer US will stay in *A. I think the current contract expires in 2014, so what happens after that? Can the other airlines kick US out? And if US left *A, what other partners would they have, you can't redeem on QR. I'd want to know more before I spend money on stuff I don't want like flowers and email addresses.
Just have a look at oneworld.. there are a lot of carriers that are as good as the *A..
And just my 2cents: I wouldn't keep my miles as long as 2014.. earn and burn is my motto..
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:14 am

One indicator that GS12 isn't happening: US hasn't posted anything on the website. In the past, you could generally see info about the promotion weeks in advance by visiting the previous year's links (and/or adding trivial changes, like updating "GS10" to "GS11").

I tried some noodling around last night & found nothing but file-not-found or last year's info. It's possible that US has wised up & located the GS12 files elsewhere (or even kept them off the production server), but my guess is they haven't learned any new tricks. If so, then the absence of evidence in this case is indeed evidence of absence.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:31 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

That Twitter reply mentioned was encouraging, but agree with beltway that the lack of any "accidental" evidence being found is worrisome. I just sent in a general email to US Airways inquiring about the GS and was told:

We have not been told if it will run this year. You will be advised via
e mails from your account.

I have Tweeted them and will do that again today. Can't hurt. I also agree that any potential future merger with OneWorld isn't a bad thing for miles earned from the GS. I like *A, but there are great OneWorld redemptions as well.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Okay, I have to say it. That Biscoff spread is gross. Seriously. Next time around, if it's the cheapest item, I'm donating it to charity.

Mike
Mike,

Send it to me. I've lost 30 pounds since the last Grand Slam ended, so can afford to eat a few more jars of Biscoff.

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:31 pm

Mike
My partner insisted on spending the extra $10 to upgrade to be giant box of cookies instead of the spread, thinking she may as well get something if we're spending the money. We still have 95% of those cookies left (luckily individually wrapped). I could keep Delta in stock for awhile, I think...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.