Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lessons learned (or, Making plans for 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Gamecock
There are two types of FF mile hoarders.
1) Those on FT. (lurkers and members)
2)Those who have figured it out on their own and have never heard of FT and think they are doing something that is somehow illegal.

That being said, I'll bet that most people out there are satisfyed plusing their accounts up by a few thousand miles. The vast majority of folks out there don't have the attention span to chase 36 hits.
FT is not the only place this has been mentioned, i.e. there are other sites on how to game FF points, FT is of course probably the best but I suspect some will have just read the blogs on "how I got X US Air dividend miles for Y". These people may be FT "aware" but don't really want to wade through 100 pages of info to get the tips.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by gwhit21
I learned that e-rewards and e-miles are a pain in the butt and that they should be started really really early. I have already started for next year.
But not too early, or else you'll learn another lesson. From the e-Rewards T&Cs:

8.b. All e-Rewards Currency earned during any Membership Year must be redeemed within thirty (30) days following the end of the Membership Year. (For example: A Member who enrolls on August 21, 2010 is assigned a Membership Year ending on September 30, 2011 and must redeem Currency earned during the Membership Year running from August 21, 2010 to September 30, 2011 by no later than October 30, 2011.)

8.c. Following the end of the thirty (30) day period, as set forth in Section 8.b. above, seventy-five percent (75%) of any unused e-Rewards Currency remaining in a Member's account that was earned during the just-ended Membership Year will expire, and will be removed from the Member's account. The remaining twenty-five percent (25%) of the e-Rewards Currency earned by the Member during the past Membership Year shall be automatically transferred into such Member's account balance for the next Membership Year. For example: At midnight of July 30, 2010, Member has $100 of unredeemed e-Rewards Currency earned in the Membership Year ending June 30, 2010, and $5 of unredeemed e-Rewards Currency earned between July 1 and July 30, 2010, for a total account balance of $105 in e-Rewards Currency. On the morning of July 31, 2010, Member will have a total account balance of $30 in e-Rewards Currency: $5 earned in July 2010, plus $25 (25% of $100) rolled over from the Membership Year ending June 30, 2010.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by sc flier
But not too early, or else you'll learn another lesson. From the e-Rewards T&Cs:
Yow, thanks for highlighting that. For my longer lasting account I haven't a clue what my membership year is, how do you find that out?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by burmans
Yow, thanks for highlighting that. For my longer lasting account I haven't a clue what my membership year is, how do you find that out?
If you go to the My Account page At the upper right hand section will tell you the Amount subject to expiration rules. Underneath that will tell you the date and amount that will expire on that date.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: aa
Although those terms look bad, e-rewards has always waived the expiry every year for me. I guess they do it if you have some decent amount of activity,
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by KathinJax
If you go to the My Account page At the upper right hand section will tell you the Amount subject to expiration rules. Underneath that will tell you the date and amount that will expire on that date.
That's is very useful, so mine expire start of Feb 2012, so now looks like I should transfer the points I have out during Jan to one of the Hotel programs to build up my balance there and then set about rebuilding my e-rewards balance.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:15 am

That's is very useful, so mine expire start of Feb 2012, so now looks like I should transfer the points I have out during Jan to one of the Hotel programs to build up my balance there and then set about rebuilding my e-rewards balance.
Hotel points redemptions have best value when you redeem at the highest level. If you take a few surveys now, e-rewards will most likely extend the expiry within a week of the end of the membership year which in your case is 31Dec11.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by sun_aa
Hotel points redemptions have best value when you redeem at the highest level. If you take a few surveys now, e-rewards will most likely extend the expiry within a week of the end of the membership year which in your case is 31Dec11.
They didn't extend mine when my membership year ended on 30 September. I didn't find out whether they would have been cancelled though as I transferred them out during October.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by sun_aa
I guess the question that comes up here is when/how do you know they have extended. I agree higher levels work better but if I'm close to the date and this hasn't happened I rather take what is available than take the risk.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 6:00 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Of course it would be nice to receive enough surveys to allow you to make the choice. I see that 3/4 of my points will expire in August, unfortunately they are well below the threshold for even the smallest award to a partner.

At the rate at which I am currently receiving surveys, I might just sneak through, but no guarantees. Perhaps I should change my profile, but I am aware of people being caught out doing so.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:30 am

I guess the question that comes up here is when/how do you know they have extended. I agree higher levels work better but if I'm close to the date and this hasn't happened I rather take what is available than take the risk.
They will tell you when they extend.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by gnarly
Of course it would be nice to receive enough surveys to allow you to make the choice. I see that 3/4 of my points will expire in August, unfortunately they are well below the threshold for even the smallest award to a partner.

At the rate at which I am currently receiving surveys, I might just sneak through, but no guarantees. Perhaps I should change my profile, but I am aware of people being caught out doing so.
Make sure your preferences are set to send you as many surveys as possible -- that will help with the activity.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:11 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Originally Posted by akcae
Make sure your preferences are set to send you as many surveys as possible -- that will help with the activity.
Already done. I just feel that my other e-rewards account (for BA) interferes with the US airways one by directing all of the opportunities to BA.

Over the course of the promotion (Sep-Nov), my balance went from 900 points to 1200 (equivalent to $11.25 to $15 in most people's e-rewards (UK-based ones work on points, with 2000 yielding 500 US Airways miles)).

Meanwhile my BA activity was nearly 3 times that.
As I said, I might just about have enough points to make a donation before my rewards year, but can't see a way of getting enough in time for next September.

I obviously need to change my job and lifestyle.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:42 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gnarly
I obviously need to change my job and lifestyle.
That... is quite the level of dedication to GS.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:57 pm

Flying most weekends from MAN-PHL-LAX and back on my own dime was as far as my dedication to US airways went.

Having not flown with them for 7 years, shows my current level of loyalty.

The GS has piqued my interest in using the airline again, but let's take it one step at a time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.