Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lessons learned (or, Making plans for 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
There was a way around this problem this year because Avis was running a promo for 9000 CC points for a three-day rental that fit my travel plans and didn't affect the number of rental hits I needed for GS. Since there's no guarantee Avis will offer a similar promo next year, I also registered for the Radission promo and will get 50K in my account. Since I don't generally stay or redeem awards at Radisson, I'll hold onto the points in my CC account just in case US increases the threshold for a transfer to get a hit or CC increases the number of points required to get 1000 US miles.

And that brings up another planning point: US may do some further tweaking for 2012 so don't assume transfer requirements (or even partners) will remain the same. I'll definitely be keeping an eye open for additions or subtractions to US's group of partners.
the main odd ball is Hilton, since they give only 850 miles so either Hilton will have to go up to 1000 miles per 10k or have a 1000 mile level for more then 10k in pts or no longer be a Transfer Partner. I think it will remain as is as it already tweaked from '10 to a min of 850 probably so as to include Hilton

Id say they will look elsewhere for the '12 tweaking. With HZ killing the hour rental program I dont see any tweaking with the cars either over what they did this year and Hotel stays will remain at 250 otherwise too many Programs wont qualify, could be they will make some others only count if theres a min # of miles earned
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:39 am
Formerly known as gwhit21

Programs: All of them.
Lesson learned start early

I learned that e-rewards and e-miles are a pain in the butt and that they should be started really really early. I have already started for next year.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA AS DL UA US WN Choice Gold, BW Diamond, PClub Plat, HHonnors Gold, Marriott, Carlson Gold
For those who look forward to the 2012 GS: Wyndham hotels has a great deal now. Register and stay 2 stays at any of their (cheap) properties and get 6500 bonus points. Also if you book from the website you get 1000 bonus points for that and if you pay with their credit card you get 500 more bonus points. This will come to more than enough points for a GS hit if you just stay 2 times. Some properties are about $26 a night. I booked a Super 8 in PHX for $26 plus tax. Since you don't even need to show up to get the points this is a great deal.

Last edited by iang000; Nov 22, 2011 at 2:57 pm
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Originally Posted by iang000
For those who look forward to the 2012 GS: Wyndham hotels has a great deal now. Regsiter and stay 2 stays at any of their (cheap) properties and get 6500 bonus points. Also if you book from the website you get 1000 bonus points for that and if you pay with their credit card you get 500 more bonus points. This will come to more than enough points for a GS hit if you just stay 2 times. Some properties are about $26 a night. I booked a Super 8 in PHX for $26 plus tax. Since you don't even need to show up to get the points this is a great deal.
do you get points for no show at a super 8 as well? i thought it was only hawthorn suites and wyndham.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by synd
do you get points for no show at a super 8 as well? i thought it was only hawthorn suites and wyndham.
All Wyndham group hotels - it's part of Wyndham Rewards t&cs. But hardly anyone used Super8 for GS because the miles would usually have been less than the minimum required (which was why Hawthorne and their 500 DM per stay were so popular this year).
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA AS DL UA US WN Choice Gold, BW Diamond, PClub Plat, HHonnors Gold, Marriott, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by synd
The no-show policy is for Wyndham Rewards, which includes all of their hotel brands. This would be earned points and not miles which you would use to transfer to DM next year for the GS if they offer the same partner transfers as this year. I believe that 8000 Wyndham points converts to 3200 miles.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by iang000
For those who look forward to the 2012 GS: Wyndham hotels has a great deal now. Register and stay 2 stays at any of their (cheap) properties and get 6500 bonus points. Also if you book from the website you get 1000 bonus points for that and if you pay with their credit card you get 500 more bonus points. This will come to more than enough points for a GS hit if you just stay 2 times. Some properties are about $26 a night. I booked a Super 8 in PHX for $26 plus tax. Since you don't even need to show up to get the points this is a great deal.
Does this include foreign Super 8's as well, with a quick search was able to find some as low as 22.50 and could possibly find some cheaper with time.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by burmans
Does this include foreign Super 8's as well, with a quick search was able to find some as low as 22.50 and could possibly find some cheaper with time.
You could always try doing a search, either on the thread about this offer on the Wyndham board or in the T&Cs themselves.

(The answer is not Chinese Super8s)
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
for us europeans or all others with a european address on file, it might actually be an interesting promo value wise. now finding the cheapest wyndham hotel will be a pain.

30K points, provided you have or can get 2K more, you get 12,800 US DM miles, which under today's price including a 50% sale, will cost you 240 USD.

assuming you can get a hotel at 30 USD/night => 180USD all in, now if i can find anything under 25 USD all in ofc i am definitively a taker.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
Lessons learned?

This was my first year doing the Grand Slam. Definitely learned some lessons:

1. Obey Flyertalk posts: in some cases I just read the instructions provided on the USAir site and did not get correctly credited. When I double checked the FT site, of course, it had specific details on how to get proper credit.

2. Start Early. I think I still have somewhere between 4 and 8 credits hanging. Very annoying. I really do not like the way USAir does this program (not being able to check specific hits) but starting early would surely help. I held off on some thinking about the ability to confirm hits by holding off on some but this really just muddied the process.

3. Consider whether this is worth all the work. This past year I applied for an AA Visa and Amex and got 150k miles. Paid for the majority of a trip to Jamaica. All it invovled was applying for two cards and making some charges. The points I eaned for the Grand Slam were MUCH harder to earn and I didn't earn half of what I earned on the AA promotion.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by craz
the main odd ball is Hilton, since they give only 850 miles so either Hilton will have to go up to 1000 miles per 10k or have a 1000 mile level for more then 10k in pts or no longer be a Transfer Partner. I think it will remain as is as it already tweaked from '10 to a min of 850 probably so as to include Hilton

Id say they will look elsewhere for the '12 tweaking. With HZ killing the hour rental program I dont see any tweaking with the cars either over what they did this year and Hotel stays will remain at 250 otherwise too many Programs wont qualify, could be they will make some others only count if theres a min # of miles earned
Agreed. I don't know how US will adjust this, which is why I'll keep on the lookout for new partners who might become eligible for hits in the 2012 GS. Hilton was a major PITA (really, a transfer rate less than Club Carlson or Wyndham?), but fortunately for me, they've devalued their awards so much that I can't imagine hoarding enough points to get a decent number of award stays from them. 10K gets you a hit with GS; it gets you very little in the HHonors program. I'll stay enough with Hilton through 9/12 to replenish my miles for a GS transfer hit; I've reached the conclusion that Hilton offers little in its loyalty program that I can't find more satisfactorily from other programs.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Diamondback
This was my first year doing the Grand Slam. Definitely learned some lessons:
3. Consider whether this is worth all the work. This past year I applied for an AA Visa and Amex and got 150k miles. Paid for the majority of a trip to Jamaica. All it invovled was applying for two cards and making some charges. The points I eaned for the Grand Slam were MUCH harder to earn and I didn't earn half of what I earned on the AA promotion.
Definitely some work compared with credit card applications. But unlike credit card apps in the current climate, a renewable resource. We'd hope we can get a new set of Citi/AA cards as the eighteen-month rule plays out, but there's no guarantee. The best part of GS is that it resets itself every year
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:35 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by gwhit21
I learned that e-rewards and e-miles are a pain in the butt and that they should be started really really early. I have already started for next year.
Agreed for emiles, still waiting on e-rewards invite. Maybe its because I am outside US and should adjust my address for a while in my profile.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by louie-m
You could always try doing a search, either on the thread about this offer on the Wyndham board or in the T&Cs themselves.

(The answer is not Chinese Super8s)
Yes have done that now
Old Nov 23, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
This is a promo that specifically seems designed with the FF public in mind. I saw no MSM-type advertising. I think many non-FT frequent flyers may have simply tossed the materials advertising this promo. Everything else advertising this promo seemed to be through the US website and the websites of most of its partners. I'm sure US and its partners have a target for the amount of participation on which they've based their assumptions about costs, etc.

Widespread publicity, such as an article in the Wall Street Journal or New York Times, would likely skew numbers for the entire promo in such a way that US and its partners would take a big hit that's not likely to be tweaked away the following year.

There are two types of FF mile hoarders.
1) Those on FT. (lurkers and members)
2)Those who have figured it out on their own and have never heard of FT and think they are doing something that is somehow illegal.

That being said, I'll bet that most people out there are satisfyed plusing their accounts up by a few thousand miles. The vast majority of folks out there don't have the attention span to chase 36 hits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.