Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lessons learned (or, Making plans for 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:12 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by akp
I miss the fun of the Grand Slam. Silly as it may seem, I have done several things to prepare for GS 2012:

- opened rewards accounts with all the hotel transfer partners from last year.

- built up $25 balances in e-rewards and e-miles balances for me and my husband. (Expiration date is late fall so plenty of time for a transfer before they expire.)

- got the Barclay US Airways credit cards.

- signed up for TopGuest to build up balances for hotel transfers. I should easily have enough to transfer for Hilton, Priority Club, and Best Western.

- booked a stay for the fall at a Holiday Inn and was mindful when booking of the 2011 minimum spend to qualify. It could change for 2012, I know, but used 2011 as a guide.

Anita
re the topguest-is there anyway to do it without a smartphone?
ie thru a normal computer?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:23 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Link your topguest to foursquare and then use m.foursquare.com. on a PC
Old Feb 5, 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
no grand slam 2012??
She didn't seem to think so.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by marshlight
But when I asked her if I should just assume the online reg is lying and call to confirm next time, the rep said yes (of course), but also something more interesting: that she "wasn't aware of" any plans for a GS12, "but there may be something different." Of course there's a lot of time before then and I don't know how these things proceed, but the way she said it made me think you guys would want to know.
I think its a leap to suggest that the fact that a CSR isn't aware of the GS12 is any indication there won't be one. GS12 is just a glimmer of of an idea in the marketing department at this stage, there is no reason that a CSR WOULD be aware of it, some weren't even aware of it DURING the last one.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by burmans
I think its a leap to suggest that the fact that a CSR isn't aware of the GS12 is any indication there won't be one. GS12 is just a glimmer of of an idea in the marketing department at this stage, there is no reason that a CSR WOULD be aware of it, some weren't even aware of it DURING the last one.
Except that she was one of the two CSRs whose job it was to handle GS stuff exclusively. But I think you could be right.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:58 pm

i cant see why they wouldnt do it either-i think its been very succesful for them as a marketing tool-and i dont think they have lost money on it at all.
i am now using us and never would have before
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:17 pm

I can see why they may not do it again. I'm sure US wins out on the GS--but I'm not convinced their partners do. I know for a fact Sharebuilder spent more money getting me as a customer than they'll ever make off of me (given that both my buy and sell order were free). I know skymall was probably ticked at all the silly small orders. I'm sure for some partners they made out, and for others GS is a time when they cringe, and bring on extra support staff.

I do hope that there is a GS'12...I've been preparing since the last one ended. But I'm also not sure there will be one.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Stubtify
I can see why they may not do it again. I'm sure US wins out on the GS--but I'm not convinced their partners do. I know for a fact Sharebuilder spent more money getting me as a customer than they'll ever make off of me (given that both my buy and sell order were free). I know skymall was probably ticked at all the silly small orders. I'm sure for some partners they made out, and for others GS is a time when they cringe, and bring on extra support staff.

I do hope that there is a GS'12...I've been preparing since the last one ended. But I'm also not sure there will be one.
would have thought skymall,depot etc do very well on the small orders when you include the fees etc
Old Feb 15, 2012, 7:06 pm

Open more hotel rewards plan instead of just SPG for the hotel transfer options

Keep adding amount to emiles and erewards so will be ready for September 2012

Keep going and not stop at 32 hits

And don't keep eating biscoff cookies. I gained more weight in September and October than Thanksgiving and Xmas.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by metoo
Open more hotel rewards plan instead of just SPG for the hotel transfer options

Keep adding amount to emiles and erewards so will be ready for September 2012

Keep going and not stop at 32 hits

And don't keep eating biscoff cookies. I gained more weight in September and October than Thanksgiving and Xmas.

I've done pretty much this in preparation. One thing to be careful of is that erewards limits you to 1 partner reward per quarter. I am using it to dump into my hotel partners that are not topguest affiliated. But for example I did a Choice Privlidge transfer last week of 4,000 points ($100 in erewards $$), and a 2,000 point Club Carleson. Both will require one more transfer from erewards, but that must be done next quarter. Something to plan ahead for in case you are using it to dump into programs like I am.

Also topguest is really sweet, I'm up 1,500 Best Western points, Hilton Points and PC points there. Trying to not use erewards at all for those three.

Also set up with car rental programs, and become familiar with their deals. Alamo has $13 a day a/i lately here, I just hope that holds into sept.

and yes... biscoff=crack
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
LaQuinta 20% off point purchases

Still not great value, but if you think you will need to buy LQ points for a hit in the fall - they are 20% off currently. Cost is now $44 for 5K (5K will transfer to 1K US) rather than $55 normally.

Better option of course is to rack up e-rewards -> LQ -> US but still could end up a little short - I did this past year.

http://www.lq.com/lq/returns/members...ignID=LQTopNav
Old Feb 16, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, LH SEN, TB Emerald
Originally Posted by bearcat74
Still not great value, but if you think you will need to buy LQ points for a hit in the fall - they are 20% off currently. Cost is now $44 for 5K (5K will transfer to 1K US) rather than $55 normally.

http://www.lq.com/lq/returns/members...ignID=LQTopNav
Just looked at there reward table for US AIRWAYS:

http://www.lq.com/lq/returns/nmembers/airline.jsp

6,000 Points Required | $52,80 to earn 1000 points
Old Feb 16, 2012, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by maxbluebrosche
Just looked at there reward table for US AIRWAYS:

http://www.lq.com/lq/returns/nmembers/airline.jsp

6,000 Points Required | $52,80 to earn 1000 points
E-rewards nets 4000 LQ points for just $100 in erewards currency. LQ I'll be transferring and then maybe buying 2k for $22. Or transfer another $30 in erewards for another 1k x 2.

Last edited by Stubtify; Feb 16, 2012 at 5:24 pm
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Stubtify
I've done pretty much this in preparation. One thing to be careful of is that erewards limits you to 1 partner reward per quarter. I am using it to dump into my hotel partners that are not topguest affiliated. But for example I did a Choice Privlidge transfer last week of 4,000 points ($100 in erewards $$), and a 2,000 point Club Carleson. Both will require one more transfer from erewards, but that must be done next quarter. Something to plan ahead for in case you are using it to dump into programs like I am.

Also topguest is really sweet, I'm up 1,500 Best Western points, Hilton Points and PC points there. Trying to not use erewards at all for those three.

Also set up with car rental programs, and become familiar with their deals. Alamo has $13 a day a/i lately here, I just hope that holds into sept.

and yes... biscoff=crack
lets hope they will do it after the work people are putting in!
one thing -for erewards is it only one redemption per quarter or can you redeem to different partners in same quarter?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
lets hope they will do it after the work people are putting in!
one thing -for erewards is it only one redemption per quarter or can you redeem to different partners in same quarter?
I was unclear: it is one reward per parner per quarter. So I've got a little spreadsheet of which ones I'm focusing on this quarter, then I'll go back next quarter and finish topping them up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.