Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many safety hits?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by footypjman
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere - I tried searching and couldn't find a discussion on it.

I am finalizing plans to get to exactly 32 hits, but started to get concerned: should I consider getting an "extra" hit to be sure that I hit the 32? I HATE to "waste" a hit and can't see myself spending the money that would be required to get me the other 3 hits to make it to 36.

Thus far, everything has posted for me except:
- debit card purchase -- but, thanks to discussion in another thread -- I think I was able to clear up the "new US Air account opened by B of A issue and have charged some things that should post to the proper account over the past 4 days
- Net Sol - discussed extensively in another thread, so just waiting for my points to post early next month
- a couple of car rentals/hotels that haven't had time to post

My OfficeMax purchase has even posted!

For now, I am planning to shut it all down after a $30 all-in car rental next Saturday, which should get me to exactly 32, but -- as a newbie -- I would love to get input from more experienced "hitters"
If you did NetSol early enough, you could receive that hit before Nov 14. That's the only one I'd be worried about. If it doesn't post by the 10th or so, I would have an insurance hit ready. Don't risk 20K miles over $30.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by footypjman
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere - I tried searching and couldn't find a discussion on it.
This thread has been on the front page for the last few days.

How many safety hits?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I don't understand why you'd stop at 32 hits when only four more hits gets you at least another 20,000 miles! (I say "at least" because those four extra hits will each award miles individually, too.)

In my mind, any amount up to $200 that you can spend for 20,000 miles is a deal to jump at. Just something to consider...
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: US Gold, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by tommyleo
I don't understand why you'd stop at 32 hits when only four more hits gets you at least another 20,000 miles! (I say "at least" because those four extra hits will each award miles individually, too.)

In my mind, any amount up to $200 that you can spend for 20,000 miles is a deal to jump at. Just something to consider...
+1

You can't buy, share or fly that amount for a penny a mile (using Tommy's 20K/$200), this is the only promo that offers it.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Last year I ended up with a loser's bracket of 4 questionable hits, I tried to be more prudent this year but things are shaping up the same way. At this point I am considering Sharebuilder, Officemax, and 21st Century quote to all be bonus hits if they post.

I have 22 posted and 4 more solid hits completed. I am debating if I go for 2 hits and disregard the above activities or 3 on the chance they all come in. The additional hit would be $35. Decisions...
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: Several dozen
No hundreds of GCS here, just a few for POC in Months of Mysery. Always do a POC as you never know what you will find. I found a new trout pond.

My problem children include 1-800-ForgetIt (my bad - I meant to say 1-800-Flowers) whose transactions posted early on, but then the same transactions no longer seems to post. Watch out for the "lets change the rules in the middle of the game mentality." Biscoff hiked costs then has been erratic about miles posted. Skymall vendors jettisoned battery purchases. The Dividend Miles>Asia>Dividend Miles gig has not always worked. A similiar American Airlines gig was killed off early. The toolbar has proven iffy as has OfficeMess and Thanks for Nothing (my bad - I meant to say OfficeMax and Thanks Again).

Teleflora might be a nice Hail Mary hit.

Originally Posted by Steph58
Not to get off track but UA Months of Miles isn't a misery for all of us. Every single item I have purchased and every single restaurant dine, has posted for me. But then I did not buy hundreds of $10 gift certs or Cokes. I did receive the original invite e-mail, so I have no worries that I will get the bonus miles that were promised.

Re: The topic of safety hits, I have 36 but feel a few could be shaky (BofA debit card, 21st Century Insurance quote, toolbar download). Originally I planned some backup hits, but not so sure now as they would cost me $45-$55 each. Might just sit back, wait and not cry if I up with 80K instead of 100K miles in the end. Murphy's law if I spend the extra $ I won't need backup hits, if I don't I will.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
My problem children include 1-800-ForgetIt (my bad - I meant to say 1-800-Flowers) whose transactions posted early on, but then the same transactions no longer seems to post. Watch out for the "lets change the rules in the middle of the game mentality." Biscoff hiked costs then has been erratic about miles posted. Skymall vendors jettisoned battery purchases. The Dividend Miles>Asia>Dividend Miles gig has not always worked. A similiar American Airlines gig was killed off early. The toolbar has proven iffy as has OfficeMess and Thanks for Nothing (my bad - I meant to say OfficeMax and Thanks Again).
IMO, Biscoff doesn't belong in this Rogues' Gallery. Biscoff posts only once a month, but we already knew that from last year, and apart from a few individual hiccups with DM numbers being garbled -- which the anecdotal evidence suggests have been resolved fairly promptly -- the company seems about as reliable as one could ask for.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:59 pm

I had completed 16 hits, three of which I'm still waiting to post (toolbar, emiles, sharebuilder). I heard about 21st Century, so recently completed that as well. I think the toolbar and emiles will post in early Nov, so I'm considering sharebuilder and 21 Century kind of iffy. Not sure if I should complete more more hit, or if those two will be enough for at least one to post. I would hate to end up at 15.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Right now I'm at 25 hits, 19 posted, and might get to 26 if I get 5 more e-miles surveys to complete. That being the case I'll find 3 more hits to go for 28 with one safety hit.

I hit one major foul ball already and don't want another.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:59 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Here's why insurance hits pay--- at least planning them.
2 weeks ago I booked one night at a Ramada in Leicester, UK. Not many hotels in that area; it's the only one that has any program affiliation except for a really dumpy HI.

It was to be my last hotel hit. We're supposed to stay there this weekend.

Discovered from trip advisor the hotel has been sold; it's an Accor now!

Having an extra car rental lined up makes this all better
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Sacrifice bunt might be a better term!!!
Old Nov 1, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA AS DL UA US WN Choice Gold, BW Diamond, PClub Plat, HHonnors Gold, Marriott, Carlson Gold
Last year I did 2 extra hits and everything posted. It turned out to be a waste. I was planning to do one extra this year, probably Mags for miles, which costs just a few hundred miles. If I get Netsol this week I will probably not even bother with the extra safety hit.

One thing to consider is the La Quinta hit I plan, there is no way to set the earning preference for La Quinta so you are at the mercy of the low paid employees at the check in desk to put the right information on your account.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by dwcatty
11/3/2010 12/15/10 CONVERSION: CHOICE CLUB PLUS REDEMPTION 1,000

11/3/2010 12/15/10 ADJUSTMENT CHOICE PRIVILEGES MILEAGE AWARDS

... And Choice showed up as a hotel stay (I had six other stays at Hilton family properties) so when I did not get my 36th hit I called DM customer service and they converted the points from stay points to conversion points.
My Choice points conversion has also posted with the description as a Mileage Award.

10/31/2011 11/01/11 CHOICE PRIVILEGES MILEAGE AWARDS 1,000

Does this mean it will not be counted as a valid hotel transfer hit (I have 6 other hotel stays planned)? Should I be calling DM customer service already? Until reading your post I just assumed it is OK to be called a mileage award because one is redeeming points for miles, and US would know the format of each partner activity posting.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 5:48 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by iang000
Last year I did 2 extra hits and everything posted. It turned out to be a waste. I was planning to do one extra this year, probably Mags for miles, which costs just a few hundred miles. If I get Netsol this week I will probably not even bother with the extra safety hit.

One thing to consider is the La Quinta hit I plan, there is no way to set the earning preference for La Quinta so you are at the mercy of the low paid employees at the check in desk to put the right information on your account.
I'm trying it in CLT this weekend. I noticed that they don't have the ability to put your DM # in the profile like Choice does. Going to swing away at the LQ tho, if for nothing but the extra 500 miles over Choice.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i have 31 hits posted.
2 rental cars hit to be posted.
1 credit card. (the statement will close on Nov 8)
netsol

i will see if i need to both share and buy miles to get the 36.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.