The PQM bonuses are misleading; be careful

Old Oct 12, 11, 10:59 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PHL
Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Posts: 4,903
The PQM bonuses are misleading; be careful

After reading the GS chart, I assumed that at 24 hits, we'd get another 5,000 PQM (not another 3000 PQM) and that at 40 hits, Preferreds would get another 10,000 PQM.

Alas, this just posted:

10/12/2011 10/12/11 GRAND SLAM 2011 PQM BONUS - 24 HITS 3,000

Due to how I interpreted the chart (and I know I'm not alone), the 40th hit is what made the terms especially misleading. After all, why would US only give another 10,000 regular miles (of which, it now turns out, only 5,000 are PQM) for getting to 40 hits after giving another 20,000 regular miles for getting to 32 and 36 hits? It seemed logical that the only "carrot" to get to 40 hits was to earn another 10,000 PQM because the incremental spend needed for four extra hits beyond 36 hits would very likely be too high compared to the value of those 10,00 extra regular miles.

Last edited by tommyleo; Oct 13, 11 at 8:03 am Reason: Last batch of PQM's is 5000, not 3000.
tommyleo is offline  
Old Oct 12, 11, 11:22 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Posts: 916
There is nothing misleading, tommyleo.

The chart is clear:

The mile levels are cumulative (TOTAL miles awarded)

The PQMs are also cumulative as they refer to cumulative variables (..OF WHICH 3000/5000/10000 are PQMs)

I can complain for a bunch of things related to GS, but this is not one of them..
Nikolaos is offline  
Old Oct 12, 11, 11:32 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: LNK
Programs: US,PC
Posts: 730
Count me in who misunderstood and went after the carrot.

I take full ownership for my mistake. Wish Could have waited to do 2 hotel transfer till tomm.

Dracs
dracs is offline  
Old Oct 12, 11, 11:32 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Posts: 3,430
Originally Posted by tommyleo View Post
Due to how I interpreted the chart (and I know I'm not alone), the 40th hit is what made the terms especially misleading. After all, why would US only give another 10,000 regular miles (of which, it now turns out, only 3,000 are PQM) for getting to 40 hits after giving another 20,000 regular miles for getting to 32 and 36 hits? It seemed logical that the only "carrot" to get to 40 hits was to earn another 10,000 PQM because the incremental spend needed for four extra hits beyond 36 hits would very likely be too high compared to the value of those 10,00 extra regular miles.
The Chart is for normal people to earn US miles by every day activities that they do regardless of GS or not.
for normal people, there is no additional cost for earning the last 4 hits on GS as it is part of their every day life. It is only in FT and other travel blogs that we *game* the system by earning hits with as little spent as possible.
pbd456 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 11, 11:33 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Posts: 430
deleted.
virtuo0 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 11, 11:34 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PHL
Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Posts: 4,903
Originally Posted by Nikolaos View Post
There is nothing misleading, tommyleo.

The chart is clear:

The mile levels are cumulative (TOTAL miles awarded)

The PQMs are also cumulative as they refer to cumulative variables (..OF WHICH 3000/5000/10000 are PQMs)

I can complain for a bunch of things related to GS, but this is not one of them..
One poster on another thread and Dracs on this thread already agree with me. That's why I started this thread: I am certain that others also misinterpreted the PQM bonuses and I want to make sure they know the actual rules ASAP so that they plan accordingly.
tommyleo is offline  
Old Oct 12, 11, 11:39 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PHL
Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Posts: 4,903
Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
The Chart is for normal people to earn US miles by every day activities that they do regardless of GS or not.
for normal people, there is no additional cost for earning the last 4 hits on GS as it is part of their every day life. It is only in FT and other travel blogs that we *game* the system by earning hits with as little spent as possible.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I'd imagine that many people who "normally" earn, say, 30 hits by everyday purchases and don't read these blogs/forums will likely wonder what else they can do to get to 32, 36, or 40 hits.
tommyleo is offline  
Old Oct 12, 11, 11:43 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Posts: 916
Originally Posted by tommyleo View Post
One poster on another thread and Dracs on this thread already agree with me. That's why I started this thread: I am certain that others also misinterpreted the PQM bonuses and I want to make sure they know the actual rules ASAP so that they plan accordingly.
I am sure that a lot of people misinterpreted the chart & i know that your intentions are good!!

My point is that it is not US' fault!
Nikolaos is offline  
Old Oct 12, 11, 11:44 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PHL
Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Posts: 4,903
Originally Posted by dracs View Post
Count me in who misunderstood and went after the carrot.

I take full ownership for my mistake. Wish Could have waited to do 2 hotel transfer till tomm.

Dracs
Interestingly, I'm in the opposite situation. I was going to go for a total of 36 hits, but I will likely now go for the 40 hits because I'll probably need those extra 5,000 PQM's that come with the 40th hit. Before tonight, I though that by my 24th hit I'd get a total of 7,000 PQM's, which would be all the bonus PQM's I'd need.
tommyleo is offline  
Old Oct 12, 11, 11:46 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PHL
Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Posts: 4,903
Originally Posted by Nikolaos View Post
I am sure that a lot of people misinterpreted the chart & i know that your intentions are good!!

My point is that it is not US' fault!

I'm kind of on the fence about that. If enough people misread the chart, then the chart is indeed misleading (though most certainly not intentionally so).
tommyleo is offline  
Old Oct 12, 11, 11:53 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Posts: 916
Originally Posted by tommyleo View Post
I'm kind of on the fence about that. If enough people misread the chart, then the chart is indeed misleading (though most certainly not intentionally so).
I am sure that a lot of people didn't get it right, not because the chart is not clear, but due to what psychologists call "wishful thinking"..
Nikolaos is offline  
Old Oct 12, 11, 11:57 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ROC
Programs: Anything CC gives me
Posts: 1,112
I don't even care about the PQMs
booyaa is offline  
Old Oct 13, 11, 12:04 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,763
FWIW, this question was raised & concisely answered on Oct. 8 at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/2011-...l#post17241312
beltway is offline  
Old Oct 13, 11, 12:13 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PHL
Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Posts: 4,903
Originally Posted by beltway View Post
FWIW, this question was raised & concisely answered on Oct. 8 at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/2011-...l#post17241312
I saw those posts and the questions asked were pretty much nonsensical:

"Are the PQMs at each additional PQMs for each level or are they total? So if I get 20 hits, do I get 4k total PQMs or just the 2k?"



And there was no clear answer given.
tommyleo is offline  
Old Oct 13, 11, 12:26 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SEA
Posts: 1,887
Originally Posted by booyaa View Post
I don't even care about the PQMs
x200K!
HikerT is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread