20 vs 24 vs 28 hits

Old Oct 7, 11, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

20 vs 24 vs 28 hits

Not sure if this should be under how many hits or should be a new thread so moderator , decide what is best.

I have completed my 20 hits and I am thinking about going further on for 4 to 8 more hits. I am wondering if I should pay about $80 more for 4 car rentals with Hertz to complete 24 hits for 10k miles more.

Furthermore, from 24 hits to 28 hits I could add 2 more Hertz rental for total of $40, netflix subscription and wine accessory from Vinesse for an extra 15k miles on top of all this.

Is it worth it to spend another $190 or so for another 25k miles for total of 60k for Grand Slam?
Old Oct 7, 11, 5:23 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
it depends on how you use the miles. i aim for all 36 hits, but i think it is expensive to spend 190 for 25K miles.

i have many valuable ways to use the miles, but i have too many miles as i havent redeemed any miles i earned from last year GS.
Old Oct 7, 11, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

With 20 hits, I would have roughly a total of 145 k miles ( I bought 60k with the 100% bonus miles for about $865 ). I plan to use part of it for my Vietnam and Cambodia trip on Biz or 1st class in Dec 2012. I could use the rest for another trip to Asia or Europe for a later time

Last edited by metoo; Oct 7, 11 at 5:39 pm
Old Oct 7, 11, 5:45 pm

In my opinion, you got to be very careful about hoarding US miles that you have not real plans of using in the next year or so. The miles could devalue dramatically, or US could go belly up.
Old Oct 7, 11, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by bobby21 View Post
In my opinion, you got to be very careful about hoarding US miles that you have not real plans of using in the next year or so. The miles could devalue dramatically, or US could go belly up.
If US Airways actually hikes up redemption rates (gulp), how much warning would there be -- months, weeks, no notice? Any guesses? My whole goal in accruing miles is to save them for years from now. Maybe that's risky.
Old Oct 7, 11, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by metoo View Post
Not sure if this should be under how many hits or should be a new thread so moderator , decide what is best.

I have completed my 20 hits and I am thinking about going further on for 4 to 8 more hits. I am wondering if I should pay about $80 more for 4 car rentals with Hertz to complete 24 hits for 10k miles more.

Furthermore, from 24 hits to 28 hits I could add 2 more Hertz rental for total of $40, netflix subscription and wine accessory from Vinesse for an extra 15k miles on top of all this.

Is it worth it to spend another $190 or so for another 25k miles for total of 60k for Grand Slam?
Shouldn't that be $190 for ~27100 miles?
Netflix = 1500
Hertz = 100/rental with double mile code.
Plus the misc points from Vinesse.
Old Oct 7, 11, 7:24 pm

Programs: Starwood, Delta, American Airlines, USA, United

That is exactly where I am right now. My USA points were wiped out, so I basically started with scratch. but their home airport is PHX and that's my home airport BUT, I still have almost a million miles that I am trying to use up in other programs: especially BA before Nov 15th. Wondering if I should pay the fees associated with getting to that level, or just be happy with my 20 hit bonus of 35,000 plus al the points that came along with that and then just leave it at that. Decisions, decisions, decisions!
Old Oct 7, 11, 7:26 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by metoo View Post
That's a no-brainer in my book. Anytime you can buy miles for less than 1 cent/mile, you buy them. (Assuming you will use them!) In this case, you're paying just .76 cents/mile! I'd buy at least 100,000 miles right now at that price if I could. Probably more.

Here's another way to look at what you're asking. You can book a domestic flight on US for those 25K miles (20K is you use the DM MC...), and you're going to pay just $190!
Old Oct 7, 11, 9:05 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by tommyleo View Post
That's a no-brainer in my book. Anytime you can buy miles for less than 1 cent/mile, you buy them. (Assuming you will use them!) In this case, you're paying just .76 cents/mile! I'd buy at least 100,000 miles right now at that price if I could. Probably more.

Here's another way to look at what you're asking. You can book a domestic flight on US for those 25K miles (20K is you use the DM MC...), and you're going to pay just $190!
Agreed--IF you have immediate or mid-term plans for the miles. I'd first ask myself what I'm trying to do in traveling with US over the next twelve months and then get the miles you need. I want 100K miles (I don't have status so 40 hits do nothing for me), but I'm single. Plus, I have certain travel plans during the GS that make earning some of these hits relatively easy as I'd be doing some of the travel, hotels, rental cars, pickups at airports, anyway. I'm just going to direct some of that towards US's GS partners until this promo ends.

I think the approach Mommy Points has taken, which is get 25K for yourself and then accumulate 25K for others in your household, see here, now appears to be the most sensible scenario if you're accumulating points for more than one person or going for points for domestic travel only. $80 per person for a domestic roundtrip would sound good to me if I had a family of four, but I'm aiming for a trip to Italy during the winter and a trip to Hawaii--so max accumulation does make sense for a single like me.

I still think it's most important to define your travel goals clearly and then try to figure it out from there.
Old Oct 7, 11, 11:16 pm

I'll stop at 20 or 24 hits myself, wouldn't pay real cash to hoard miles which may devalue soon, unless you happen to be on a trip which need hotel/rental cars, etc. Or you have a plan for travel soon whicn can use the US miles.

Chase/Citi/AMEX is fighting for credit card market share after the debit card legislation. Looking at how they give out miles this/last yea, this is not sustainable and miles must devalue somehow. Just like AirCanada, BA, everyone will follow suit sooner or later.

DM is especially vulnerable, doing this GS and 100% buy miles bonus, giving out miles like crazy. One easy way they can do is to block some Star alliance booking.

I want to pay real cash for US miles may be max at 0.7c/mile. For UA/CO miles, I think they are much more valuable and I can get them for higher price.
Old Oct 7, 11, 11:44 pm

International trips in business class or first class are FUN. If you can swing time for some trips go for the miles and travel in style.

A *A business class RT ticket to asia is 120k miles. If you can accumulate miles at half a cent per mile its only 600 bucks for a $5000 ticket.

That is COOL.
Old Oct 8, 11, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
International trips in business class or first class are FUN. If you can swing time for some trips go for the miles and travel in style.

A *A business class RT ticket to asia is 120k miles. If you can accumulate miles at half a cent per mile its only 600 bucks for a $5000 ticket.

That is COOL.
Hell yes. See my signature for some amazing photos!
Old Oct 8, 11, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by chespeak2002 View Post
I want to pay real cash for US miles may be max at 0.7c/mile. For UA/CO miles, I think they are much more valuable and I can get them for higher price.
Please explain. How are UA miles more valuable? UA has Starnet blocking and redemption levels no better than US's.
Old Oct 8, 11, 12:18 am

Programs: US CP, DL PM, UA Silver, HU/TJ Air Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat (Yay!)
Do it - I think it's worth it even in Y. Asia for 60k is so much better than dropping 1200 for a crappy ticket. Asia in C for 90k is that much better, and F for 120k is a tremendous value. I'm going to use my miles to take my gf and I to China from Europe in C with some stopovers and such, and it's costing me less than I would've paid for Y tix - not including the cost of the stopovers. Crazy values out there if you're into it.

I just signed up for netflix and am impressed - easily worth the 8$ a month.
Old Oct 8, 11, 12:38 am

I absolutely would, but only because I have a goal in mind and want to use these miles for a trip in Summer 2012 (which means that once I have enough miles to book, I'm booking flights). I've spent $501 and accumulated 120K after starting from scratch -- that's a first class ticket to North Asia! Granted, 40K of that was opening the US DM MC and 20K I bought, but I wouldn't have done so without the GS

Especially after US raised the prices for buying miles to 3.726 cpm (after tax), or 1.863 cpm if 100% bonuses continue, I think earning US miles at sub 1cpm is great and something the GS allows. Right now I'm earning at sub 0.5cpm, but wouldn't mind it if it took me up to 0.7cpm to reach 36 hits.

Search this Thread