FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways 2011 Grand Slam Promotion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-2011-grand-slam-promotion-684/)
-   -   Thanks again hit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-2011-grand-slam-promotion/1261724-thanks-again-hit.html)

Kay_nyc Sep 21, 2011 6:46 am

Thanks again hit

Question from a GS noob:
How do I make sure I get a hit from an airport restaurant/store purchase? I've a couple of work trips coming up, and figured I'd just buy water at the CNBC store. Will I get the hit if I register the card I use for purchases?
Thanks!

pr0digy25 Sep 21, 2011 3:40 pm

Why not do the proven Restaurant.com purchase?

So what... you might throw away $1.25 if you don't use the coupon! ^

SkyVillager Sep 21, 2011 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc (Post 17146220)
Question from a GS noob:
How do I make sure I get a hit from an airport restaurant/store purchase? I've a couple of work trips coming up, and figured I'd just buy water at the CNBC store. Will I get the hit if I register the card I use for purchases?
Thanks!

1. Login to your Thanks Again account and register a credit or debit card.

2. Search Thanks Again web site for a list of participating retailers.
Make sure to read the earning rules listed next to each one.

All that I've found require a mix of transactions totaling $250 or more over a period of 90 calendar days.

If you spend less than $250 in 90 days - you will receive zero US miles, and no hit at all.

3. Use registered card at participating stores.

dsquared37 Sep 21, 2011 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by SkyVillager (Post 17150591)

2. Search Thanks Again web site for a list of participating retailers.
Make sure to read the earning rules listed next to each one.

All that I've found require a mix of transactions totaling $250 or more over a period of 90 calendar days.

If you spend less than $250 in 90 days - you will receive zero US miles, and no hit at all.

I think you need to go back and read the rules a second time.

The hit is based upon a purchase (pause, breathe) while the $250 threshold you refer to is for bonus miles and has nothing to do with the hit.

maccoinnich Sep 22, 2011 12:04 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 17150652)

The hit is based upon a purchase (pause, breathe) while the $250 threshold you refer to is for bonus miles and has nothing to do with the hit.

While I'm 95% sure that you're correct, it's not entirely clearly explained on the Thanks Again website. From a random airport merchant near me:

Cards:AMEX and VISA Only - Earn 500 Bonus Miles/Points when you spend $250 over 90 Days; 1500 Bonus Miles/Points when you spend $500, 4000 Bonus Miles/Points when you spend $1000; 25000 Bonus/Miles Points when you spend $5000; Max Bonus: 25000 Miles/Points ever
Reading this, it's not obvious at all that you would 4 miles for a $4 purchase at this merchant, especially when other merchants have it listed as:

All Cards; First Transaction Only: 5 Miles/Points per Dollar Spent; Ongoing Transactions: 2.5 Miles/Points per Dollar Spent

swag Sep 22, 2011 7:34 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 17150652)

The hit is based upon a purchase (pause, breathe) ...

Is there anything that says the TA hit requires a purchase? I got 100 free TA points via their FB promo, and am expecting a hit once those sweep into my US account.

pinniped Sep 22, 2011 8:31 am

I signed up for TA, registered one CC, searched the TA site for a local restaurant, and bought a cheap Restaurant.com certificate for $10 via the link from Thanksagain.com.

Is there a reliable track record of these miles posting correctly?

Only reason I ask is that Thanks Again is a pretty poorly-designed website and a bunch of the Restaurant.com links were broken. It was only on my 5th or 6th restaurant that I found a live link.

Do you have a link to the FB promo? I might do that as a backup if it's another way to dump a few points into TA.

dsquared37 Sep 22, 2011 8:33 am

Originally Posted by swag (Post 17153485)
Is there anything that says the TA hit requires a purchase? I got 100 free TA points via their FB promo, and am expecting a hit once those sweep into my US account.

My bad, no I don't believe a purchase is necessary. Rather, I was trying to delineate the difference between the bonus miles and just miles being awarded for a purchase (or facebook likes).

kochleffel Sep 22, 2011 8:40 am

Facebook

Originally Posted by swag (Post 17153485)

Points from the facebook promo worked last year.

kochleffel Sep 22, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks Again online shopping

In addition to the facebook promo (if available to you) or the purchase of a restaurant.com certificate, it's possible to get the Thanks Again hit through TA's online shopping section. (This is NOT the Dividend Miles Shopping Mall. You would need to log into Thanks Again and then choose their online shopping tab.)

The rewards levels are mediocre, which is generally the case with travel-related reward for online shopping, but it would be possible to purchase something you actually need. I ordered one item, with free shipping, from Walmart. Points haven't posted yet; I'll update when they do.

swag Sep 22, 2011 8:45 am

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 17153783)
Do you have a link to the FB promo? I might do that as a backup if it's another way to dump a few points into TA.

FB page is http://www.facebook.com/ThanksAgain

Click the link to filter the wall to only the posts from TA, then scroll down to September 9 at 2:32pm for the (simple) instructions.

kochleffel Sep 22, 2011 8:47 am

Double-dip Thanks Again and DM Dining

If you are actually going to use a restaurant.com certificate, keep in mind that many of the restaurants listed with restaurant.com also participate in Dividend Miles dining.

Since the certificate value will cover only part of the total, if you pay the difference with a credit card registered for DM Dining, you should be able to achieve two hits with one meal.

Exiled in Express Sep 22, 2011 8:55 am

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 17153783)
I signed up for TA, registered one CC, searched the TA site for a local restaurant, and bought a cheap Restaurant.com certificate for $10 via the link from Thanksagain.com.

Is there a reliable track record of these miles posting correctly?

Only reason I ask is that Thanks Again is a pretty poorly-designed website and a bunch of the Restaurant.com links were broken. It was only on my 5th or 6th restaurant that I found a live link.

My miles for a restaurant.com purchase with coupon code processed amazing quickly.

9/14 purchase
9/15 posted to credit card
9/16 showed in Thanks Again
9/20 posted to US

pinniped Sep 22, 2011 9:06 am

Great...thanks for the responses. :)

I should have my DM dining points on the way as well...our local pizza joint is included so I just flipped one CC from AA dining to DM dining...

nabeelj Sep 22, 2011 9:45 am

Originally Posted by kochleffel (Post 17153872)
In addition to the facebook promo (if available to you) or the purchase of a restaurant.com certificate, it's possible to get the Thanks Again hit through TA's online shopping section. (This is NOT the Dividend Miles Shopping Mall. You would need to log into Thanks Again and then choose their online shopping tab.)

The rewards levels are mediocre, which is generally the case with travel-related reward for online shopping, but it would be possible to purchase something you actually need. I ordered one item, with free shipping, from Walmart. Points haven't posted yet; I'll update when they do.

+1

I needed 4 Groupons to the local zoo. Bought them, one at a time, through ThanksAgain and DM Shopping. Scored 2 hits each for my wife and I. Miles already posted.