Can't we just cancel the subscriptions?

Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ
Can't we just cancel the subscriptions?

I'm a complete GS noob, so be nice.

I'm just thinking - suppose, I subscribe for Netflix or the wine thing. I get my bonus miles at the end of November and use them to book a flight. Can't I just cancel the subscription after I've taken my flight using those miles (or even once I've used them for a reservation - wouldn't risk it)?? No reason to wait for May 14th....

I'm sure this would probably cause some problems for your DM account, and I don't think I would try it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:31 pm

I suppose that could work if you plan never to use your mileage account again, but US might give you a negative mileage balance and/or require you to buy the miles that were subtracted.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I'm a complete GS noob, so be nice.

I'm just thinking - suppose, I subscribe for Netflix or the wine thing. I get my bonus miles at the end of November and use them to book a flight. Can't I just cancel the subscription after I've taken my flight using those miles (or even once I've used them for a reservation - wouldn't risk it)?? No reason to wait for May 14th....

I'm sure this would probably cause some problems for your DM account, and I don't think I would try it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Then what's the point of posting this?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Because with a little coaxing/rationalization, the OP could try it!!!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Maybe others want the 5 or 6 hits that require expensive subscriptions and don't care about their accounts.

I'm only going to even consider this if LH F is magically available for the place I want to go, on the dates I want to go, and the only thing left for me to add to hit a bonus is LifeLock.

Ok, now that I think about it, I'd definitely keep the subscription with LH F on the line
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:19 pm

Really, what are we talking about here? An exta couple or three hits? Doesn't seem worth burning an account and potentially worse for at most 20k extra miles. Really have to treat this game as a marathon, not a sprint.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:52 pm

I could actually see situations where this might arise naturally for some flyers who use the miles and then have job loss/major illness/catastrophic accident that necessitates cancellations due to financial hardship. I'm guessing with some documentation that USAir would be leniant. Reality is this policy is just meant to prevent the 99% of sane people from being tempted to take advantage of hits partners. They built the thing in such a way it's a really bad risk/reward potential in going through the trouble of cancelling subscriptions.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:35 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
As these "subscription" hits are the most expensive, it is rational to believe that people will use them for achieving the top levels of the promo.

For example, i am aiming to the 40 hits due to the 10.000 PQMs! I would be perfectly fine with 80.000 miles (32 hits) and i would probably stop there, if it wasn't for the preferred miles. And i could do that fairly easily and with not much cost!!

For the people like me that aim at PQMs, i imagine it doesn't worth the risk!! After all, what's the value of a CP or a PP with a negative miles balance..??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.