Wiki Posts
Search

How to share miles (no trading here)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
How to share miles (no trading here)

Several questions about sharing miles for the GS have been posted in other threads, and one thread -- now closed -- contained a proposal to match with someone for a share.

For the record, offers or requests to trade, share, or exchange miles (or anything else) cannot be posted in this forum. The only place on FlyerTalk where any such offer or request can be posted is the Coupon Connection, which is on the Community tab. You have to have a certain amount of history on FlyerTalk before you have access to that forum.

There are only a few other things that you need to know:

(1) When you share miles during the Grand Slam period, both the person sending the miles and the person receiving them score a hit. This is stated unequivocally in the FAQ: http://www.usairways.com/EN-US/FAQS/...AMFAQS.HTML#11.

(2) You can only score one hit for a miles share, regardless of which end of the share you're on.

(3) There is a fee for sharing miles: $30 per transaction, plus a variable amount based on the number of miles, plus tax. The minimum is 1,000 miles, for $10 plus the $30 plus the tax.

(4) It is probably easiest to share with a family member. Since sharing miles is reciprocal, it helps if an even number of people in your family are participating in the GS.

(5) You can share with any other DM member. There is no requirement to have the same surname or to have any prior acquaintance.

(6) If you need to find a partner for a share, the moderators in Coupon Connection allowed offers last year and have allowed at least one this year. Coupon Connection does not allow offers to sell miles or anything else, but it seems to be OK to suggest splitting the fee. The arrangements between the parties are made by private message. In the past I have suggested splitting the fee unequally, with the FlyerTalker who receives the miles paying the larger part.

(7) Once you have an agreement to share, the sender initiates it here.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by kochleffel

(4) It is probably easiest to share with a family member. Since sharing miles is reciprocal, it helps if an even number of people in your family are participating in the GS.
So not true!! Just signed up my sister for GS and offered to give (share) 1000 of my precious miles... she told me she wouldn't accept anything less than 25K!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:21 am

If my husband shares with me and my son, will all 3 of us each get 1 hit?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by miss bianca
If my husband shares with me and my son, will all 3 of us each get 1 hit?
Yes. See number 1 and number 2 in the first post. Those combined tell you that your husband will receive a single hit (not two) and you plus your son will each receive a single hit.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:40 pm

deleted.

Last edited by savekenny; Sep 23, 2011 at 5:41 pm
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: United Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Several questions about sharing miles for the GS have been posted in other threads, and one thread -- now closed -- contained a proposal to match with someone for a share.

For the record, offers or requests to trade, share, or exchange miles (or anything else) cannot be posted in this forum. The only place on FlyerTalk where any such offer or request can be posted is the Coupon Connection, which is on the Community tab. You have to have a certain amount of history on FlyerTalk before you have access to that forum.
I understand the policy that trades and shares have to happen on CC. But the issue is the terms and conditions of CC have changed. I remember last year I was below 90 and I could not use it. I tried hard and now above that 90 post threshold but the rules have changed now again where in I need 180 or more.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
As per above, this is not an offer or solicitation.

If one side provides 1000 miles and $40,
what have others done as a way to balance the swap ?
(money not being an option, of course).

Last edited by MrHalliday; Sep 23, 2011 at 1:15 pm Reason: sp
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Does anyone remember if US introduced a Share miles bonus at any point During the Grand Slam last year? Is there reasonable hope of that this year? I've been holding off on that one just in case.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by monkey99
I understand the policy that trades and shares have to happen on CC. But the issue is the terms and conditions of CC have changed. I remember last year I was below 90 and I could not use it. I tried hard and now above that 90 post threshold but the rules have changed now again where in I need 180 or more.
You could ask the Community Director to be grandfathered into CC. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...l#post16450251
Originally Posted by MrHalliday

(monny not being an option, of course).
The OP mentioned splitting the fee.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
So not true!! Just signed up my sister for GS and offered to give (share) 1000 of my precious miles... she told me she wouldn't accept anything less than 25K!
Get her a one-way ticket to East Overshoe.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by savekenny
Any alternatives for those of us who cannot access CC?
There is no other public area on FlyerTalk where trading is allowed.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by MrHalliday

(money not being an option, of course).
You try to reach a meeting of the minds on the value of a mile. Once you do, it's easy. Just make it so that each person is paying $20. Hypothetically, suppose the two agree that a US mile is worth 1.5 cents. The person who gives up the miles pays $5 of the fee and the person getting the miles pays $35. That way, the person who initiated the share paid $5 plus 1,000 miles (worth $15) or $20 for the hit. The person getting the miles paid $35, but got miles worth $15, so also paid $20 for the hit.

If you value miles as worth 1 cent, it would be $10 and $30. If you value the miles as worth 1.25 cents it's $7.50 and $32.50, etc. (Note that the cost to share 1,000 miles actually is $40.75, but you get the point.)
Old Sep 24, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I'd love to get into the Coupon Connection. I've been a member since July 2004 but just don't post that often until the last year. Only have 95 posts or so...
Old Sep 24, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HY Diamond
Originally Posted by canesfan
I'd love to get into the Coupon Connection. I've been a member since July 2004 but just don't post that often until the last year. Only have 95 posts or so...
By the rate at which you post, you will have access to CC in 2018
Old Sep 24, 2011, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by efox
By the rate at which you post, you will have access to CC in 2018
Nah, they'll up the post count long before then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.