Trial Preferred Status, Grand Slam, and EQM

Old Sep 15, 11, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Trial Preferred Status, Grand Slam, and EQM

Hey all!

So I have to make a lot of short domestic flights within the next three months, and with this grand slam promo popping up, seems like a no brainer for me to go and do the trial preferred status, get a hit for GS, and the fly enough to get preferred status through feb 2012.

If I get to 24 hits in the GS (or dare I dream 40?), that gets me 5,000/10,000 EQM. Does that 5,000 EQM count towards my trial amount that i need to hit for the trial preferred status (15,000 miles for gold)...or do I need to actually FLY my 15,000 miles during the trial period to reach gold?

And am I thinking about this the right way? You need to buy the level that you think you can hit? Or do you just buy the level for the service you want to try out for 90 days, and then however many miles you acquire that's the preferred status you get for the next year?

-S
Old Sep 15, 11, 10:30 am

EQM earned as a part of the Grand Slam promo do not count toward your required total in Trial Preferred. Trial Preferred requirements can only be met through flight EQMs on US Airways or US Airways Express.
Old Oct 5, 11, 9:35 am

Effective sometime in the last few days (probably 10/1), US extended the benefit period for status earned via Trial Preferred. Previously, as stated in post #1, meeting the 90-day miles/segment challenge would only earn you status through Feb. 2012. This has now changed to Feb. 2013.

Obviously, Trial Preferred is too expensive to buy only for the hit. However, if you were thinking about this before & decided not to because of the short benefit period, it's worth another look, assuming your travel plans in the coming months will meet the miles/segment requirement.
Old Oct 5, 11, 9:48 am

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
If you had Trial Preferred, and did 7,500 BIS miles to earn Silver for 2012, I wonder if the GS 10,000 EQM would get you to Gold? IIRC, if you sign up for Trial silver, but do enough BIS for gold you get gold.
Old Oct 5, 11, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by kendenton View Post
If you had Trial Preferred, and did 7,500 BIS miles to earn Silver for 2012, I wonder if the GS 10,000 EQM would get you to Gold?
Did you read post #2?
Old Oct 5, 11, 11:14 am

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by beltway View Post
Did you read post #2?
Didn't think it through, my bad.
Old Oct 5, 11, 1:16 pm

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StevoVandy06 View Post
And am I thinking about this the right way? You need to buy the level that you think you can hit? Or do you just buy the level for the service you want to try out for 90 days, and then however many miles you acquire that's the preferred status you get for the next year?-S
Typically, the way it works is that if you purchase the trial silver they will give you the higher level if you achieve it in the 90 days. So, if you're shooting for gold, at least traditionally, you did not need to pay $400 at the start, but only $200 for trial silver. If you hit 15k in 90 days, you'll make gold and keep it for the next year.

Still, there may be reason to pay the $400 nonethless -- it would give you immediate gold instead of giving you immediate silver.

For example:

10/1: Buy Silver Preferred for $200. You will be silver immediately (or presently).
11/1: Fly your 7500th BIS mile on US metal since 10/1. You have now locked up silver through 2/13.
11/15: Fly your 15,000th BIS mile in US metal since 10/1. You will be elevated to gold within a few days and you will have locked up gold status through 2/13.

In this hypothetical you saved yourself $200 over buying trial gold from the start. However, what it cost you was not being gold from 10/1 to 11/15, which (for example) might have given you a better shot at upgrades. Also, you would not have received the extra RDM bonus miles you get for being gold over silver (not a huge deal -- maybe 4000 miles or so on 16k).

What I don't know is what happens if you pay $400 for trial gold and don't meet the 15k challenge. I think the answer is if you made the silver challenge, you get to keep silver, but you might want to check on that.

Note that all hypos here are using miles, but the same general priciples apply if you're going for segments.
Old Oct 12, 11, 7:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, US Chairman's, Star Alliance Gold, Delta Gold, AA Gold
CP disadvantaged in the GS promo

How do CPs buy up preferred or try the "trial preferred " status to get a hit???
Old Oct 12, 11, 8:23 pm

Tad dramatic on the thread title, no?

No perferreds get to do the "trial preferred", and about .0001% of lower level elites would even bother with the overpriced "buy-up".
Old Oct 12, 11, 10:04 pm

Cheaper to buy a club membership?
Old Oct 12, 11, 10:08 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by ramblers63 View Post
Tad dramatic on the thread title, no?

No perferreds get to do the "trial preferred", and about .0001% of lower level elites would even bother with the overpriced "buy-up".
Seriously...
Old Oct 13, 11, 12:04 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by sacgrad2002 View Post
How do CPs buy up preferred or try the "trial preferred " status to get a hit???
Call/email up US DM and tell them you're willing to part with more $$$ for this promo in exchange for uber-CP status, maybe they'll let you sit up front-front with the captain
Old Oct 22, 11, 5:40 pm

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Anyone think you would score a hit by being nominated to silver? (despite t&c stating "buy")
Old Oct 22, 11, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by travelkid View Post
Anyone think you would score a hit by being nominated to silver?
I doubt this would qualify.
Old Nov 7, 11, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I bought Trial Gold a couple days ago and realized that there's no posting in my mileage account for that alone. It'll be the one "phantom" GS hit...I plan on ending exactly on 36 so I hope I don't have to make a bunch of phone calls to get it to count.

FWIW, I confirmed with a phone agent (and it seems confirmed in the other thread here) that the trial you buy is unrelated to the status level you eventually earn. Buy any trial...you get that status for 90 days. Fly X miles in 90 days...you get the appropriate status under Feb 2013.

I bought Gold but will only qualify Silver. But since my qualifying will include some int'l segments, having *G for 90 days was worth it for me.

Search this Thread