Perhaps some hits should be avoided?

Old Sep 12, 11, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Perhaps some hits should be avoided?

Hi -

I bring this up because several hits require that you maintain a subscription/membership until May 14 OR ELSE YOU LOSE ALL THE GS POINTS.

For example, do I really want an annual Lifelock Membership, or the USA Today delivered for 6 months ... or having wines shipped to me every month?
Old Sep 13, 11, 7:12 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
It really depends what hit number some of those subscriptions are for.
Old Sep 13, 11, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Discussed here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/2011-...on-policy.html

But yes, you better be sure you'll keep the service before you decide to credit it to US.
Old Sep 13, 11, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Platinum, Priority Club-Platinum StarWood-Platinum, Hilton-Gold, United-Silver
I was considering trying out netflix, but with the new restrictions, I'm going to pass on all of those that require the six month subscriptions and the possibility of forfeiture of all GS points.
Old Sep 13, 11, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Yes, nickfromct, I had come to the same conclusion.

But, without those vendors requiring a 6-month subscription, I won't get 40 hits, so no reason to get the hit for Trial Preferred. Or the Club membership. So, I will probably be settling in around 28 or 32.

It does seem a little strange that they would dangle out the new, higher hit count, only to make it too expensive to make it worth getting.
Old Sep 13, 11, 12:09 pm

I'm going to do netflix as I use netflix already and I'll just create a new subscription.

One to avoid for sure though is Energy Plus. It seems they have a very bad record of increasing prices on people a few months after switching to them for electricity/gas. If you google them you'll find many people spent hundreds of dollars more over a year or two than if they had used their local utility company.

Some of their mileage sign up bonuses are very lucrative (8k-10k or so) which is fine if you then monitor your bill and cancel within the first few months if they overcharge you.

But in terms of the grand slam your ENTIRE grand slam bonus would hinge on you not cancelling, so you could end up paying hundreds of dollars more knowingly as they up to 110,000 US airways miles hostage.

I'd avoid that one like the plague.
Old Sep 14, 11, 12:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by drbobguy View Post
I'm going to do netflix as I use netflix already and I'll just create a new subscription.

One to avoid for sure though is Energy Plus. It seems they have a very bad record of increasing prices on people a few months after switching to them for electricity/gas. If you google them you'll find many people spent hundreds of dollars more over a year or two than if they had used their local utility company.

Some of their mileage sign up bonuses are very lucrative (8k-10k or so) which is fine if you then monitor your bill and cancel within the first few months if they overcharge you.

But in terms of the grand slam your ENTIRE grand slam bonus would hinge on you not cancelling, so you could end up paying hundreds of dollars more knowingly as they up to 110,000 US airways miles hostage.

I'd avoid that one like the plague.
how can you do that? I have had netflix for 5 years and am eager to learn that one !
Old Sep 14, 11, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by lacuadra View Post
how can you do that? I have had netflix for 5 years and am eager to learn that one !
Well all netflix uses to identify you is an email address and a credit card number. So use a different credit card and email and they see you as a new subscriber.

But note that if you've already received a mileage bonus to your US DM account from Netflix they can obviously identify you by your account number, and they won't give you a second bonus.

Search this Thread