FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways 2011 Grand Slam Promotion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-2011-grand-slam-promotion-684/)
-   -   Grand Slam Holiday (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-2011-grand-slam-promotion/1255423-grand-slam-holiday.html)

Shanye2233 Sep 4, 2011 3:53 am

Grand Slam Holiday

So here what I have planned out . Yes it's expensive but I was going anyway just changed a few things.
Arriving at airport renting car to take me to hotel then dropping off car so dont have to pay for overnight parking ($50)
HIT 1 ? Renting and returning the same day?
Checking into Hilton day 1 paying $130 per night
HIT 2
Checking into another Hilton for 3 nights paying $500
HIT 3
Checking into Marriott resort paying $150
HIT 4
renting car for 1 day rental using promo code freeday rental with Hertz paying excess $12
HIT 5
checking into hyatt resort $160
HIT 6
Returning car and renting another car again using promo code free day with hertz paying $27
HIT 7
Checking into hilton again for 3 days $500
HIT 8
Returning car and renting car avis $55
HIT 9
checking into marriott $240 :td:
HIT 10
returning car and renting another one day $55 avid
HIT 11
checking finally into hilton $130
HIT 12
Catching air bus back to airport.
Now I'm a Marriott platinum I think. Have to earn spend $500US to earn enough for a transfer hit
HIT 13
Now I have enough points with the double points promo to transfer 10k with HH
HIT 14
So I buy a few cookies take an airport shuttle bus hopefully the e-miles if I can get enough I'm currently (340).
The toolbar

What else can I do does that look all ok?

travelkid Sep 4, 2011 5:14 am

I will urge posters to post in relevant threads. Hundred of separate threads really do clutter GS forum.

Can I ask mods to use merge function?

lkar Sep 4, 2011 11:01 am

Originally Posted by travelkid (Post 17051684)
I will urge posters to post in relevant threads. Hundred of separate threads really do clutter GS forum.

Can I ask mods to use merge function?

This is turning into a disaster. There should be 5 to 10 threads max, with each poster who starts the thread owning it. One of the threads should be an all purpose thread for the "I am buying a dishwasher" or "look at my plans" posts.

Three weeks from now someone is going to not get points from a local Avis and they will start a thread called "Avis.". Will that then be the Avis forum? We actually don't need or want an Avis forum. We want a car rental forum because a Budget issue may be relevant to Avis. There should be a read first sticky with clear rules. I received a lot of great ideas and info last year from flyertalk. Seeing how these forums are going so far and lack of posting discretion, I don't see it working so well this year. Those thinking one thread for every partner or idea will be an improvement are, in my opinion, going to be surprised at the amount of good info that gets lost once Sept 14 rolls around.

Shanye2233 Sep 4, 2011 11:57 am

+1
With the "Look @ my plans " thread . It will show everybody what others are doing and help a lot . US can't change the rules now

Zurich Flyer Sep 4, 2011 5:32 pm

@ Moderator

Would it be possible to close/merge this thread?

starflyer Sep 4, 2011 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Shanye2233 (Post 17051523)
So here what I have planned out . Yes it's expensive but I was going anyway just changed a few things.
Arriving at airport renting car to take me to hotel then dropping off car so dont have to pay for overnight parking ($50)
HIT 1 ? Renting and returning the same day?
Checking into Hilton day 1 paying $130 per night
HIT 2

Checking into another Hilton for 3 nights paying $500
HIT 3

Checking into Marriott resort paying $150
HIT 4

renting car for 1 day rental using promo code freeday rental with Hertz paying excess $12
HIT 5
checking into hyatt resort $160
HIT 6

Returning car and renting another car again using promo code free day with hertz paying $27
HIT 7
Checking into hilton again for 3 days $500
HIT 8

Returning car and renting car avis $55
HIT 9
checking into marriott $240 :td:
HIT 10

returning car and renting another one day $55 avid
HIT 11
checking finally into hilton $130
HIT 12

Catching air bus back to airport.
Now I'm a Marriott platinum I think. Have to earn spend $500US to earn enough for a transfer hit
HIT 13

Now I have enough points with the double points promo to transfer 10k with HH
HIT 14
So I buy a few cookies take an airport shuttle bus hopefully the e-miles if I can get enough I'm currently (340).
The toolbar

What else can I do does that look all ok?

You might want to check your math.

You have 7 hotel stay hits listed, but the max allowed for the GS promo is 6.

You say you need to spend $500 at Marriotts for HIT 13, but you're only spending $390.

Also, some rental car agencies (e.g. National) don't award credits for consecutive rentals - return and pickup on same day. If you're doing this, you might want to confirm with Avis and Hertz that you'll receive airline mileage credit for each rental.

This looks awfully expensive. I hope you were planning on doing this even without Grand Slam. Otherwise you'd be better of using part of your budget to buy 100,000 miles, and saving the rest.

Shanye2233 Sep 4, 2011 10:07 pm

I was going on this trip anyway . I might credit one of the hotel stays with my wife's DM account. Also with the cars maybe better to return to hertz and pick up from Avis .
So there is no minimum spend per day with the car rentals? What if I use a freeday certificate and just pay for the baby seAt it's till $15

lkar Sep 5, 2011 12:03 am

Whether or not this plan makes sense depends on how many hits you hope to get total. If you are thinking you will get 36 hits, maybe it's worth it. If I had $2,000 in personal hotel spend coming up, I'd probably just do all the hotel promos I could and earn 20,000 to 30,000 hotel points. I think those are worth more than getting the 6 grand slam hits, since you can get those hits with $40 mattress runs. If you're only looking at 16 to 24 hits total it is a complete waste imho. Take the hotel points. Also it doesn't sound like a very relaxing holiday. If you were planning on doing all that hotel jumping that's one thing, but if you're doing it just to get hits, forget it and take the hotel points and dn't worry about checking in and out 7 times in two weeks.

Shanye2233 Sep 5, 2011 2:11 am

I had planned to stay in Brisbane for two nights and the rest at Hilton . So when the GS promo came I broke it up to receive hits.

I don't think I can find or do MR in Sydney or Brisbane

pinniped Sep 9, 2011 9:19 am

The Marriott transfer hit is VERY expensive in terms of lost value. To me, that's a last resort...only worthwhile as the 28th, 32nd, or 36th hit.

The Hilton transfer hit is also quite costly - also only worthwhile for the above hits or *maybe* #24.

(All of the above assumes the hotel transfer is the necessary and final hit I can achieve.)

For these stays, I'd probably focus on your preferred chain's normal fall promotion.