Can i get both bonus DM and 1 hit by buying DM?

Old Aug 30, 11, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Can i get both bonus DM and 1 hit by buying DM?

Buy 10K miles and get 10K bonus miles ends on Sep. 15th. The GS starts on Sep 14th. So If i buy miles on Sep 14th and 15th, will I get both?
Old Aug 30, 11, 12:52 am

Yes, you will get the bonus and a hit for GS if you do it either 14th or 15th. Another hit for share..
Old Aug 30, 11, 1:58 am

Before a bunch of people buy 20K miles on the first day, I just wanted to offer some calculations ...

If you buy the 10K+10K, you'll end up spending $295.63 for 20K miles + a hit. At $0.01/mile, you'd be paying $95.63 for the hit. Also, it would be an "early hit" (first or second day of a 2-month promotion) so it's rare that it would be an "incremental hit" (i.e., the 32nd or 36th hit, which gain 20K points each -- one should theoretically put more value on a late hit that raises you one mileage tier. If it's the last day of the promotion and I have an opportunity to spend $95 for 20K miles, I see that as high value).

However, if you buy just the 1K, you'll spend $29.56. At $0.01/mile, that's $19.56 for a hit anytime during the promotion.

Of course, if you were planning to buy miles anyway, it's a good deal (to wait for the promotion to get the miles and the hit). However, I think I'll only buy 1K and only if it is the cheapest option to help push me up one level late in the game.

Last edited by amolkold; Aug 30, 11 at 5:34 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 30, 11, 2:29 am

Programs: United 1k
isnt it better to calculate like this?

buying miles cost 14,7$ for 1000miles.
at this buying rate from hits 12-24 ,a hit is worth 37$/1000miles.

after that 24-28 is worth 56.25$/mile and 28-36 is worth 75$/mile.

this is of course based on assumption that you would buy miles anyway if no GS,
and that you will get 4 hits to take into next mileage band..
(point above regarding marginal value of one hit to push into next band is correct,but i think better to plan to get 4 hits before buying just one of them)
Old Aug 30, 11, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by bryanwallace View Post
isnt it better to calculate like this?

buying miles cost 14,7$ for 1000miles.
at this buying rate from hits 12-24 ,a hit is worth 37$/1000miles.

after that 24-28 is worth 56.25$/mile and 28-36 is worth 75$/mile.

this is of course based on assumption that you would buy miles anyway if no GS,
and that you will get 4 hits to take into next mileage band..
(point above regarding marginal value of one hit to push into next band is correct,but i think better to plan to get 4 hits before buying just one of them)
True, I see what you're getting at although I do not understand the numbers (shouldn't it be $29.56 for 1000 miles?).

I'm actually making a document right now planning out my guaranteed/free hits (already planned hotel stays, free things like the Toolbar searches/e-miles transfers, things I would buy anyway [like Biscoff ... yum]) and I will reach 14 hits. That means the next 2 hits would be worth $100 to me (15K > 25K miles) -- buying 1K would cost $19.56 (after subtracting the value of the miles), leaving me with ~$80 for the 16th hit (which can be easily done).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the price of the hit goes way up the more miles you buy (like 10K + 10K) because of the 7% tax. Unless you're already in the market for that many miles, I don't think a big mileage purchase is a smart move just for a hit. Also, given that the T&C state that miles from the promotion will post until March, it might be a while until you get all the miles deserved.
Old Aug 30, 11, 4:37 am

Shouldn't we also factor in fees and taxes?

It makes purchasing 1k miles very expensive per mile.
Old Aug 30, 11, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by iantowns View Post
Shouldn't we also factor in fees and taxes?

It makes purchasing 1k miles very expensive per mile.
My first post did. A 7.5% tax exists (unless you're in Canada, in which case they collect HST/GST, about 5% maybe?).

And yes, considering the bonus, purchasing 1K miles is more expensive per mile (~$0.03 and purchasing 10K+10K miles would be ~$0.015), but in the context of the Grand Slam (which is to get as many "hits" for the cheapest amount of money), purchasing 1K miles would be better IF you weren't already thinking about purchasing miles during the bonus promotion. The price of the "hit" with a 1K purchase is about $20, while the price of a "hit" with a 10K+10K purchase is almost $100 (again, I'm valuing obtaining these miles at 1cpm -- others might have different values).

Like I said, if you are already considering purchasing 20K US miles for ~1.5cpm, then that thought process doesn't apply, and then it is best to purchase those miles on 9/14 when you get the bonus and the GS hit.

Last edited by amolkold; Aug 30, 11 at 5:45 am
Old Aug 30, 11, 5:41 am

As I recall, last year US started a new miles purchase offer in the middle of the GS activity period; you got double miles on any purchase, even for the minimum 1,000 miles.

My own inclination is to wait and see what develops. Worst case is I find myself with 4N-1 hits and spending just under $30 (incl tax) to buy 1,000 miles.
Old Aug 30, 11, 6:21 am

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by amolkold View Post
True, I see what you're getting at although I do not understand the numbers (shouldn't it be $29.56 for 1000 miles?).
sorry if it was unclear what i should have said is that if you buy in 10,000 increments its 14.8 $ per 1,000,,
(as i was comparing with if you were going to buy a lot of miles anyway in the bonus promo)

you are right to say that if you want only 1000miles then its 29.56$..
as you wont get the bonus
Old Aug 30, 11, 7:52 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
if i live in sydney australia whats the time difference. What time does the bonus end on september 15th midnight US time , east coast west coast ?
Old Aug 31, 11, 7:54 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by Shanye2233 View Post
if i live in sydney australia whats the time difference. What time does the bonus end on september 15th midnight US time , east coast west coast ?
To the best of my memory, US Airways clocks ticks on Phoenix, AZ time.
Old Sep 1, 11, 7:10 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cvarming View Post
To the best of my memory, US Airways clocks ticks on Phoenix, AZ time.
And to my memory, I wouldn't trust US to be precise on timing things I certainly wouldn't try and get a points buy at 11:55 Mountain Time (where Phoenix is for the non-US people that might not know). Do it at least a couple hours early just in case...
Old Sep 13, 11, 7:03 pm

Programs: US CP, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, AA EXP, Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Platinum
Does anyone know if gifting miles counts as a hit?
Old Sep 13, 11, 7:22 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, LH SEN, TB Emerald
Originally Posted by justplanenuts View Post
Does anyone know if gifting miles counts as a hit?
Yes. It counts as a hit in your pocket for money loss.
Why didn't you read the rules FIRST? It is clearly written that only buy and share count.
Old Sep 13, 11, 8:48 pm

Programs: US CP, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, AA EXP, Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Platinum
Ouch, thanks for the wake up call that civility is dead.

Search this Thread