Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways 2011 Grand Slam Promotion
Reload this Page >

Grand Slam 2011 registration is officially open

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Slam 2011 registration is officially open

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by kochleffel
New York residents could not get hits for insurance rate quotes last year. One of the companies didn't write insurance in NY at all; the other does and advertises here, but we still couldn't get anything.
Could this year be different for NY residents? Sentry was hitless for NY last year but maybe this time it's expanded because now you can easily click STATE from a drop-down menu for a quote, and sure enough NY is listed, and nowhere does it say New Yorkers are not quote-eligible/points-eligible, unless I'm missing it. Am I missing some fine print? This could be a free GS hit, if we can confirm.

As for 21st Century, yeah, New Yorkers are out of luck. One possible approach: Can New Yorkers get a quote for, say, California, under the idea that we're considering moving or currently split time between NY and CA? Problem might be that Century compares quote info with home addresses on US Airways' end. ?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
Trading hits:

Last year, a number of us traded amongst each other when we needed hits. The process was clunky (people posted "wants" in the main thread and then waited for a PM). Normally, CC is the place to trade, but the rules were loosened a bit for the promo.
There are a lot of threads on this promo, but not too long ago, somewhere (maybe the "anticipation" thread) one of the mods indicated that board rules require only CC for that kind of activity. But there may be some room for interpretation there.

For example, one common thing last year was people partnering up for share miles. (One person would transfer miles to another, and both would get a hit, and then they'd work out the payment to account for who gave and who got the miles.) Whether that's within CC rules is unclear. On the other hand, I would think a straightforward request for 1500 transfered SPG points in exchange for Amex or hotel points, or something like that, would probably raise the ire of a mod if noticed.

My hunch is that we'll get some moderator input before September 14.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
21st Century advertises in this part of New York State and will give a rate quote. Just no miles for US. It appears that 21st Century does give Delta Skymiles and I may try that since I'm just short of what I need for a reward there.

I am thinking that NYS insurance regulations restrict offering premiums. I noticed that Liberty Mutual (with which I have home insurance and used to have auto) gives Delta Skymiles but also excludes NY.

Sentry does not write automobile insurance in New York, but does offer motorcycle insurance.

Originally Posted by NewArrival
Could this year be different for NY residents? Sentry was hitless for NY last year but maybe this time it's expanded because now you can easily click STATE from a drop-down menu for a quote, and sure enough NY is listed, and nowhere does it say New Yorkers are not quote-eligible/points-eligible, unless I'm missing it. Am I missing some fine print? This could be a free GS hit, if we can confirm.

As for 21st Century, yeah, New Yorkers are out of luck. One possible approach: Can New Yorkers get a quote for, say, California, under the idea that we're considering moving or currently split time between NY and CA? Problem might be that Century compares quote info with home addresses on US Airways' end. ?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
As best I can remember, trades were to be negotiated only on CC. I know that I arranged a miles share through CC and heard nothing from moderators about it, and there were several identical offers running at the same time.

Originally Posted by lkar
There are a lot of threads on this promo, but not too long ago, somewhere (maybe the "anticipation" thread) one of the mods indicated that board rules require only CC for that kind of activity. But there may be some room for interpretation there.

For example, one common thing last year was people partnering up for share miles. (One person would transfer miles to another, and both would get a hit, and then they'd work out the payment to account for who gave and who got the miles.) Whether that's within CC rules is unclear. On the other hand, I would think a straightforward request for 1500 transfered SPG points in exchange for Amex or hotel points, or something like that, would probably raise the ire of a mod if noticed.

My hunch is that we'll get some moderator input before September 14.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by kochleffel
As best I can remember, trades were to be negotiated only on CC. I know that I arranged a miles share through CC and heard nothing from moderators about it, and there were several identical offers running at the same time.
Yes, me too. The share miles was complicated, because it also involved an exchange of money. Basically, to share 1,000 miles, you need to pay some amount of money to US, and the receipient gets the miles. I proposed a trade where the cost would be born by the person receving the miles, and that was ok on CC, so long as it didn't exceed the actual transfer cost and thus cross over into paying for miles.

Bottom line, with 3 weeks to go, my strong hunch is that aztimm or another mod will somewhere weigh in on this issue, although as the threads start to expand, it will likely be up to all of us to police it by reporting posts where necessary to comply with the guidelines that are set. (And I say "police" it not because I think we should endeavor to be tattletales, but because ultimately the threads are how I get all my information about this promo and I don't want to see them get shut down because someone in FT leadership decides that we're violating rules.)
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:20 pm

How many posts do you have to have to unlock the CC thread?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by biggdeebee
How many posts do you have to have to unlock the CC thread?
I think it used to be 90, but recently increased to 180. So I am bitterly out of luck.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Platinum
U just need to be more "post happy". Me too,
Originally Posted by echino
I think it used to be 90, but recently increased to 180. So I am bitterly out of luck.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
Do not forget that this starts on Sept 14
BUT the promo for buying miles ends on Sept 15
So if you wait till the very end you can buy 50k miles receive 50k miles and receive the hit for buying miles.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Grand Slam Credit Cards

Hey. New to the GS this year, so please have patience!

I currently have zero US Air credit cards. Looking at the list of hits, there are no hits for signing up...is this correct? I was planning on applying for at least three (MC, MC Biz, and the debit card) on Sept 1...but I didn't want to waste a hit if there was a signup hit (like last year?)

Thanks for the info!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by davidwu
U just need to be more "post happy". Me too,
Agreed!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by STLFlyer78
Hey. New to the GS this year, so please have patience!

I currently have zero US Air credit cards. Looking at the list of hits, there are no hits for signing up...is this correct? I was planning on applying for at least three (MC, MC Biz, and the debit card) on Sept 1...but I didn't want to waste a hit if there was a signup hit (like last year?)

Thanks for the info!
There was no "signup hit" last year for any of the CCs and there does not appear to be one this year either. The hit occurs at the close of your monthly bill when points are transferred from your card issuer to US Airways. Any one purchase within the promotion time frame should get you 1 hit per type of card.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Words of Wisdom: Caution Regarding 1st Day of Promo 9/14 & e-rewards

I recommend waiting a couple days into the promotion before you start initiating transfers/ hits. Last year there were a couple of instances in which partners posted activity dates that were too early to qualify for the promotion. For example, I initiated a transfer from e-rewards on 9/1/2010 (the first day of GS10) and the activity date posted as 8/31/2010. US Air and e-rewards took care of the issue but it was a hastle.

Another note: only transfer the minimum e-rewards amount. You may need your e-rewards to top off hotel accounts for transfers.

Best of luck to all!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA AS DL UA US WN Choice Gold, BW Diamond, PClub Plat, HHonnors Gold, Marriott, Carlson Gold
What is the CC thread? Credit Card? Since I need a lot more posts to be able to use it, I might as well add this one to my collection.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:04 pm

Points.com

Uh-oh. Just checked points.com to make sure Continental transfers will still work for a hit (no-minimum swap to DM) but suddenly there is a minimum move requirement of 10,000 miles from Continental! Anyone else seeing this? This spells the end of that "free" hit. (No way would or can I move 10,000 OnePass to DM.) What are other free or low-cost no-minimum swaps at points.com? Help please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.