Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Stays [GS 2011 master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
La Quinta is now listed as a viable hotel for stay hits.

Please amend post #1.

Can be found here.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:51 am

Since the Grand Slam doesn't start till September 14, 2011, can i book a hotel stay today for September 20, 2011 stay and count it as a "hit"?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
La Quinta is now listed as a viable hotel for stay hits.

Please amend post #1.

Can be found here.
Changed it, also adding this (from halfway down this webpage:

Reservations booked through third-party Web sites, i.e., Hotels.com, etc., may not be eligible to receive La Quinta Returns points.
It does not say third-party website bookings are not eligible, just that they MAY not be. They do not define which rates will and will not earn points on a third party booking though.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by metoo
Since the Grand Slam doesn't start till September 14, 2011, can i book a hotel stay today for September 20, 2011 stay and count it as a "hit"?
Yes.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:15 pm

Looking through this thread, it seems to me that some may not be used to earning frequent flier miles by hotel stays and thus might not understand how exactly to get a hit for a hotel stay.

I recognize that this post is not for 90 percent or so, but maybe for 10 percent or less. I remember last year during the grand slam, people would say things like, "I showed up at Wyndham and they didn't take my US dividend miles number," or "I stayed at super 8, but I didn't get a hit," and when asked, "well, did you set your earnings preference to US" they would say, "huh"?

So, I guess I'd suggest that perhaps the initial post in the thread potentially be changed to explain the process, which is (1) book a hotel using your number for that hotel chain, and (2) set your earnings preference, before your stay, so that you are earning US miles, instead of hotel points.

As straightforward as this seems, I can already predict that it's going to be a source of confusion. Ideally, someone might want even to provide links or instructions to the various ways that one changes his or her hotel preferences. Each program is different. To get the ball rolling, here's the place you to do it for SPG: https://www.spgpromos.com/moremiles/...MoreMiles_enUS
Old Aug 28, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
If there's a cheap hotel that gets the required mileage near wherever I'm at at the time, I'd be happy to try to check in for other folks.
ive been trying to do this as well.
how do you ck in for other people?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
ive been trying to do this as well.
how do you ck in for other people?
Generally the other person makes a reservation in their own name with their own credit card and then either in the notes for the reservation says that you will be staying in the room too and checking in first or calling the hotel and saying that you are checking in first.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
I don't understand your question. As already told: 3rd party bookings do neither get you a hit nor points @:-)
3rd party bookings at La Quinta do. US residents can get 6 free hits right there.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stinger101
3rd party bookings at La Quinta do. US residents can get 6 free hits right there.
Perfect. woot woot. Just what we were waiting for.

Got 3 BRG's in expedia already. a few weeks and will get the other 3.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by stinger101
Did anyone clarify this with La Quinta? Why do people think one gets a hit with Expedia, Orbitz etc bookings?

LQs T&Cs state "Reservations booked through third-party Web sites, i.e., Hotels.com, etc., may not be eligible to receive La Quinta Returns points." This is pretty clear standard language, saying the booking are ineligible, isn't it?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did anyone clarify this with La Quinta? Why do people think one gets a hit with Expedia, Orbitz etc bookings?

LQs T&Cs state "Reservations booked through third-party Web sites, i.e., Hotels.com, etc., may not be eligible to receive La Quinta Returns points." This is pretty clear standard language, saying the booking are ineligible, isn't it?
"may not be eligible" is neither clear nor means bookings are ineligible. In fact, I don't see how it can be more vague.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by dsquared37
"may not be eligible" is neither clear nor means bookings are ineligible. In fact, I don't see how it can be more vague.
well, do you think the hotel chains have to give away something? "may not" is in reality "not". same as in other programs. sometimes i get hhonors points for expedia bookings but thats not the norm
Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well, do you think the hotel chains have to give away something? "may not" is in reality "not". same as in other programs. sometimes i get hhonors points for expedia bookings but thats not the norm
May not means may not. You can read into it all you want and you may not be correct. In reality it means whatever they want it to mean and could easily indicate that it's more nuanced than a simple yes or now.

EG it could mean that an opague site wouldn't count (negotiating) but expedia does.

NB: I have no idea what 'may not' actually means when dealing with La Quinta's policies.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by carsonheim
Cheap LaQuinta stays: using Expedia BRG book the LaQuinta for $50 off. Gets 250 US Airways points for a hit. I confirmed with LaQuinta yesterday that stays booked via Expedia do count for mileage earning stay credit.

Okay, so today I called back again just to confirm this, since I now see that LaQ is indeed included. The rep I spoke to today told me stays booked via Expedia DO NOT count for stay credit.

sorry if I got anyone else all excited. I was planning on doing the max "stays" there for almost free. oh well......
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by carsonheim
Okay, so today I called back again just to confirm this, since I now see that LaQ is indeed included. The rep I spoke to today told me stays booked via Expedia DO NOT count for stay credit.

sorry if I got anyone else all excited. I was planning on doing the max "stays" there for almost free. oh well......
And yet, other people have spoken to agents that say they do count. What to do, what to do...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.