Hotel Transfers [GS 2011 master thread]

Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
When transferring Wyndham points I'm a little confused. At the checkout page there is reference to sending a code to the address listed. I'm assuming the transfer will go through without the need to send anything anywhere, but it would be nice to have confirmation that all is accomplished smoothly.

Also, how long does a Wyndham transfer take?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by dsquared37
When transferring Wyndham points I'm a little confused. At the checkout page there is reference to sending a code to the address listed. I'm assuming the transfer will go through without the need to send anything anywhere, but it would be nice to have confirmation that all is accomplished smoothly.
I've never worked out what they are talking about either. It works fine without you doing anything more.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Also, how long does a Wyndham transfer take?
They post on Wednesdays only. Not sure what the cut off day is though.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by marshlight
Could you run that by me again? Since my first redemption attempt appears to be a nonstarter on PCR's part, maybe I can revise my strategy.
There is one report (I think just one but maybe more) that if your account is set to earn miles, and you deposit a 5k PC certificate, it will be transferred to US as 1250 miles and count as a hit.

At this point in the promo, personally I'd be pretty cautious relying on this as a 28th, 32d, 36th, or 40th hit, given some uncertainty and not much reporting on how long it takes or what the posted transaction date is, although maybe those familiar with this trick can post the details.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by louie-m
I've never worked out what they are talking about either. It works fine without you doing anything more.

They post on Wednesdays only. Not sure what the cut off day is though.
Well that's a relief. I know it's a surprise but I won't be at my Europe address for quite some time.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by lkar
There is one report (I think just one but maybe more) that if your account is set to earn miles, and you deposit a 5k PC certificate, it will be transferred to US as 1250 miles and count as a hit.
Out of interest, what's a 5k PC certificate?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:17 am

Out of interest, what's a 5k PC certificate?
PC gives them out for various reasons -- I think maybe when you become an elite in their program. It's worth 5k points deposited into your account.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by marshlight
Could you run that by me again? Since my first redemption attempt appears to be a nonstarter on PCR's part, maybe I can revise my strategy.

At this point in the promo, personally I'd be pretty cautious relying on this as a 28th, 32d, 36th, or 40th hit, given some uncertainty and not much reporting on how long it takes or what the posted transaction date is, although maybe those familiar with this trick can post the details.
After I found one confirmed report, I tried it myself, and it worked. Regular transfer time. You will see it also immediately on the conf page as it states 1250 miles, and you wont see any points on your acct.

PC gives them out for various reasons -- I think maybe when you become an elite in their program. It's worth 5k points deposited into your account.
They are always in the ambassador (and royal ambassador) kits. Frequently traded on CC.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by travelkid
After I found one confirmed report, I tried it myself, and it worked. Regular transfer time. You will see it also immediately on the conf page as it states 1250 miles, and you wont see any points on your acct.
I have a 1000 pt PC certificate that I haven't deposited yet. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work for me?

(I need an insurance hit, as I got 2500 miles for a Sharebuilder account that I was told I was ineligible for! )
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by NewArrival
On the topic of PC transfers, I'm still struggling to see this hit's value. People say PC is a no-brainer if you have lots of points, but it's actually pricey: 10,000 PC gets two hotel nights (PointBreaks). Are two nights worth forfeiting for one hit? I know PC points are easier to come by than other hotel points, but cost of points shouldn't determine transfers' worthiness. Value does. And the value of 10,000 PC is two hotel nights. Am I loopy? Wouldn't you rather shell out 40 bucks for unnecessary Teleflora than hand over enough points for two hotel nights? (For those who reject Teleflora but press the PC button.) And this is actually more true of PC than some other hotel transfers, because PointBreaks go farther.
Originally Posted by vysean
The people that say it's a no-brainer are likely those with huge points balances.

I'm not one of those people, and am on the fence with burning 10k points for a hit - I really don't want to do it, but 20k US miles is worth more to me than 10k PC points, and if this is the hit that gets me over a hit threshold, I'm willing to sacrifice them.

It also helps that I've got a "earn 80k PC points with credit card signup" flyer sitting on my coffee table.
I think vysean has the right answer. I've addressed the issue in the value of points thread, but it is really a question of what the points are worth to you. I have 150K ICH points that I am never going to use, since I almost never stay in their properties, so they have almost zero value to me. To me, it is a no-brainer to transfer them. For the purpose of the promo, however, I used Lucky's spreadsheet to come up with a value, since valuing them at zero didn't make sense, either. In other words, it is an "expensive" hit for accounting purposes, but will really cost me zero out of pocket.

Mike
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:56 am

If 5,000 PC points becomes 1,250 DM then presumably 1,000 PC points would become 250 DM which is below the minimum transfer amount of 850 DM.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
I think vysean has the right answer. I've addressed the issue in the value of points thread, but it is really a question of what the points are worth to you.
I always struggle with these issues. Let's say you want to stay in NYC and the best price you can find on a comparable hotel is $500. You can get it for 25k PC points. (I know this is not a realistic hypo; just using it to ask the question.) You have exactly 25k in your account.

What is the value of those points to you? One might answer 2 cents per point. On the other hand, you could purchase 25k points for $150, or .6 cents per point and book your reservation.

To me, it feels like the value of these points is only .6 cents per point, regardless of how you use them, because they can be acquired in unlimited quantities at that price.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
If 5,000 PC points becomes 1,250 DM then presumably 1,000 PC points would become 250 DM which is below the minimum transfer amount of 850 DM.
Face palm! You're right of course. I was thinking of the 200 mile min for hotel stays. Thx
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:06 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
What is the value of those points to you? One might answer 2 cents per point. On the other hand, you could purchase 25k points for $150, or .6 cents per point and book your reservation.
The cost to do the transfer will be the lowest of these three numbers:

- The cost to purchase the points outright (0.6 cents)
- The cost to earn them somehow (say 1.5 cents by staying a night in a hotel)
- The cash cost you would have avoided by using the points somehow (2 cents in your example)

As soon as you can NOT do one of those options, it's out of the equation. So right now, the value is 0.6 cents.

In other words, even if you use the 25k points to book the hotel, it doesn't matter, because you could just purchase another 10k points at 0.6 cents to use for the transfer. The cost of the transfer and the cost of the hotel redemption are separate and independent.

If, for some reason, you could no longer buy points, the value goes up to 1.5 cents. In other words, you could then "buy" points using a mattress run.

If there were no cheap hotel nights available, you then only have the choice between using the points on your expensive hotel night or doing the transfer. If you do the transfer, then pay for the hotel night, you "paid" 2 cents/point to do the transfer.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Not sure if this would work for anyone (I have no idea how quickly they post), but it's a ton of points for what might be a relatively inexpensive hotel stay.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/club-...us-points.html

From the posts in the thread, a new member could earn at least 54k points for one stay.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by vysean
Not sure if this would work for anyone (I have no idea how quickly they post), but it's a ton of points for what might be a relatively inexpensive hotel stay.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/club-...us-points.html

From the posts in the thread, a new member could earn at least 54k points for one stay.
Thanks! GS or not, that's an incredible deal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.