Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Welcome to the Dedicated Grand Slam Forum!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Any thoughts of things i can do to prepare to try to get a hit for points.com. I don't think I have any loyalty points for anything other than dividend miles and have no trips planed.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by beachbrew
Any thoughts of things i can do to prepare to try to get a hit for points.com. I don't think I have any loyalty points for anything other than dividend miles and have no trips planed.
Sign up for a Continental account and see if there's a sign-up bonus, or take a Continental survey for 100 miles (any amount will do; surveys come around often on Continental's website), then transfer freely from Continental to USAirways on points.com; no minimum transfer.

Last edited by NewArrival; Aug 22, 2011 at 3:11 pm Reason: clarification
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
DH and I both got to 36 hits last year, entirely on our own dime(s). We spent about $600 each, but also got to consume or gift hotel stays, car rentals, wine, cookies, flowers, USA Today subscriptions, Netflix, car cellphone chargers, hiking poles, etc. There are things we'd do differently this year, but we had a great couple of weeks traveling the Southwest maximizing Grand Slam and Priority Club's Crack the Case at the same time. Then, this March, we redeemed 110,000 miles each and spent 3 weeks in New Zealand and 10 days in Thailand. (LAX-AKL NZ business class; AKL-BKK and BKK-LAX TG business.)
Originally Posted by PSUPaul
Last year was the first for me, and I do travel on my company dime, so I was able to get 36 hits with my own out of pocket expense of $267.47 with total miles of 127,309, or $0.0021 per mile. Of course if I included what my company spent it would be a bit higher, but they would have spent that anyway.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by slocouple
DH and I both got to 36 hits last year, entirely on our own dime(s). We spent about $600 each, but also got to consume or gift hotel stays, car rentals, wine, cookies, flowers, USA Today subscriptions, Netflix, car cellphone chargers, hiking poles, etc. There are things we'd do differently this year, but we had a great couple of weeks traveling the Southwest maximizing Grand Slam and Priority Club's Crack the Case at the same time. Then, this March, we redeemed 110,000 miles each and spent 3 weeks in New Zealand and 10 days in Thailand. (LAX-AKL NZ business class; AKL-BKK and BKK-LAX TG business.)
That is just fantastic. The hope is wifey and I will be spending the miles on honeymoon either in Israel or Australia/New Zealand/Fiji
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NewArrival
Sign up for a Continental account and see if there's a sign-up bonus, or take a Continental survey for 100 miles (any amount will do; surveys come around often on Continental's website), then transfer freely from Continental to USAirways on points.com; no minimum transfer.
are they still offering these, even though onepass is going away?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:21 pm

I've completed several of those Continental surveys over the years, and never received the 100 mile credit. The surveys seem to be tied to a Continental associated credit card, which I do not have.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by NewArrival
transfer freely from Continental to USAirways on points.com; no minimum transfer.
Is this true?

points.com always seems to show me that it's a 10,000 mile minimum?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: US Gold; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
Activity Dates - Hotels/Cars

It may be helpful to start a list of the various hotel and car chains activity dates postings for people traveling around the 14th of Sept and Nov. I think most if not all hotel chains use the check out date but I remember from last year car rental activity dates vary by company.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Hopefully they will have another club sale during this seeing how i have to renew by the end of sept.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, AA, WN, UA, US, WN, BA.
This is my first GS promotion and I'm looking forward to having some fun! I don't travel on business much so it will take more effort to get to 36 hits but I figure it can be done for $500-$600 in cost. I already have a couple of mattress runs planned at the local Econo Lodge for $35 all in.

I also have 6 Thrifty car rentals planned one afternoon at my local airport (TUS) to max out the car rental hits. These will be $21 all in each which is not bad. I called up and asked if I can just process the paperwork for each rental and not leave the lot with the car, which would waste more time and effort. The station manager was unsure and they had to find out from the GM who wasn't in and I will have to call back and talk to the GM. The rep who answered the phone initially said in all the years he's worked there he never heard of someone wanting to rent a vehicle just for a frequent flyer promo and not actually take the car. Worst case is I will take each car off the lot, fill it up with 25 cents in gas down the block (so I have a gas receipt for the return). Rinse and Repeat 5 more times. Hopefully I don't have to waste an hour doing that!

I was hoping to get some feedback for E-rewards. I recently got an offer to sign up and it states "You’ll receive a welcome gift when you complete your profile and get 250 miles after you complete your first survey within 2 months of enrolling.* " In the terms and conditions which the offer refers to it also says "Bonus miles are only available to newly enrolled e-Rewards members. A minimum accumulation of $25 in e-Rewards Currency is required before miles can be redeemed." I'm unsure if I should sign up for e-rewards now or wait till the promo starts since it seems I'll get 250 miles but I'm not completely sure since it states in the terms I will have to have $25 accumulated first. Any input here would be appreciated.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by glader
I was hoping to get some feedback for E-rewards. I recently got an offer to sign up and it states "You’ll receive a welcome gift when you complete your profile and get 250 miles after you complete your first survey within 2 months of enrolling.* " In the terms and conditions which the offer refers to it also says "Bonus miles are only available to newly enrolled e-Rewards members. A minimum accumulation of $25 in e-Rewards Currency is required before miles can be redeemed." I'm unsure if I should sign up for e-rewards now or wait till the promo starts since it seems I'll get 250 miles but I'm not completely sure since it states in the terms I will have to have $25 accumulated first. Any input here would be appreciated.
You can sign up now. The 250 bonus miles post only to your e-Rewards account, not to your Dividend Miles account. You then have to take a separate step to initiate the transfer of the e-Rewards miles to your US account. Do this second step after Sept. 14.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by starflyer
You can sign up now. The 250 bonus miles post only to your e-Rewards account, not to your Dividend Miles account. You then have to take a separate step to initiate the transfer of the e-Rewards miles to your US account. Do this second step after Sept. 14.
Does it work the same way with e-miles? Should I sign up now?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by echino
Does it work the same way with e-miles? Should I sign up now?
You can sign up for e-miles now. I'm not aware of any signup bonus. Just be sure to wait until after registration and Sept. 14 to transfer e-miles to US.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: A few
This is great. I just worked out thanks to the tracker spreadsheet I can get to 37 hits for an incremental spend of $240. In fact I think I will earn that back in that it this promo made me look at cheap alternatives to my usual Four Points Long Island NYC and found La Quinta is around $30-50 a night cheaper! So over 6 stays of 3 nights each I basically just found I was probably overpaying $720

I am also not including the cost of buying and sharing miles in incremental, but that's because I'm ok with the cost rate of acquiring US miles through the promo.

I only managed a handful of hits last year but this year by laying it out all up front with the spreadsheet I ought to be able to get there very, very quickly!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
This is great. I just worked out thanks to the tracker spreadsheet I can get to 37 hits for an incremental spend of $240. In fact I think I will earn that back in that it this promo made me look at cheap alternatives to my usual Four Points Long Island NYC and found La Quinta is around $30-50 a night cheaper! So over 6 stays of 3 nights each I basically just found I was probably overpaying $720

I am also not including the cost of buying and sharing miles in incremental, but that's because I'm ok with the cost rate of acquiring US miles through the promo.

I only managed a handful of hits last year but this year by laying it out all up front with the spreadsheet I ought to be able to get there very, very quickly!
According to the rules as of 8/24, La Quinta counts neither as a stay hit nor as a transfer hit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.