Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paranoiatx
Captain Denny's Retirement flight roll call. Please list your handle, cabin, and when you will be arriving in SEA, where we will arrange a dinner on 5/30.

Pat89339 - F - arriving 5/30
legalalien - F - arriving 5/31 (I can guest 2 into UC at either SEA or ORD)
Jubileesmom-F-arriving 5/30 ( I also can guest 2 into UC. )
Whiskarina - F - arriving 5/30
wxguy - F - arriving 5/30 via Capt Denny's second to last flight
FlyerBeek - F - arriving 5/29
JeepGuyDE - F - arriving 5/29 (need guesting into UC)
jmd001 - F - arriving 5/30 (would appreciate guesting into UC)
texasex95 - Y - arriving 5/31 (hopefully 5/30 if I can change my flight)
alanro - F - arriving 5/30 (I can also guest 2 into UC)
mendicantmonk - Y - arriving 5/30 (need guesting into UC)
SFO 1K - F - arriving 5/30 (I can guest 2 into UC)
wtigerFF - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (I can guest 2 into UC)
YRKInsider - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (can guest 2 into UC)
N1120A - F - Arriving 5/31 UA635 (Probably need guesting into UC)
CleUnited - Y - Arriving 5/30 (hopefully)
cawhite - F -arriving 5/30 UA635
paranoiatx - F - arriving 5/28 (can guest 2 into UC and/or 1 into CL)
Print Wikipost

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by PHLstudent
Finally got the chance to fly with him. Had Captain Flannagan Sunday night on flt. 376 ORD-PHL. The oil pressure was high in one of the engines so we had about a 40 minute delay. Captain Flannagan walked around the gate area to field questions from anyone/everyone on the flight. He was exceptional throughout the whole experience. I was in 6D and was happy to receive one of his personalized business cards too.

Quick question -- He said he would have channel 9 on and would try to play the eagles game too. I tuned into channel 9 in and out throughout the flight but it was only playing the the XM kids channel. I would find it hard to believe that he would mention it but never turn it on? I had 4 flights this weekend with UA and none had channel 9 on.
Nice. I just had my first Captain Denny flight too. The brutal lax-ord redeye was made much less so last night. I slept for much of the flight and when I woke up, the flight attendant handed me one of the famous hand written appreciation cards by Captain Denny. As a 1p, I never expected to get one, and I was beaming for the last twenty minutes of the flight.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by PHLstudent
Also the guy in 6A asked about channel 9 and she said she would check that it was on, but I couldn't tell if she actually asked.
That is what is about between a good and bad FA. Good FA: would actually call the flight deck to see if ch.9 turn on or not, even if the answer is no, then at least you know the answer. Bad FA: would say it is all up to the pilot, they have no control of it, no action taken.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you'd like to fly with Captain Flanagan, here's your chance.....
Old Feb 14, 2009, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by bug_me_not
I'm a producer with Good Morning America. We're doing a story on Capt. Flanagan and wanted to share some experiences of passengers who've flown with him. Please give me a call today if you have a good story to tell 212-456-6632.

thanks,
Josh Gaynor
I have not flown with Denny but went to school with a Molly Flanagan that went on to become a Captain for a major airline. She would make a wonderful story. Grew up in rural CA on a farm with a runway. Many of the kids grew up learning to fly. Fun, kind, honest, Irish redheaded and always looking for adventure. From the threads I read about the wonderful kind and pleasant pilot, it has to be her. After the recent plance crash with a female co-pilot I was thinking about Molly and went online searching to find out if she was still flying. I hope you visit this site and do a follow up on Molly.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MCates
I have not flown with Denny but went to school with a Molly Flanagan that went on to become a Captain for a major airline. She would make a wonderful story. Grew up in rural CA on a farm with a runway. Many of the kids grew up learning to fly. Fun, kind, honest, Irish redheaded and always looking for adventure. From the threads I read about the wonderful kind and pleasant pilot, it has to be her. After the recent plance crash with a female co-pilot I was thinking about Molly and went online searching to find out if she was still flying. I hope you visit this site and do a follow up on Molly.
Welcome to Flyertalk, MCates!

The post you are replying to is from Aug 30, 2007.

Capt. Molly Flanagan and Capt. Denny Flanagan(the subject of this thread) are not related. People have commented on her in other threads though.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
People have commented on her in other threads though.
See, for example:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...an-merged.html

Edit: p.s. welcome to FlyerTalk MCates! ^ ^

Last edited by FortFun; Feb 14, 2009 at 2:43 pm Reason: welcome
Old Apr 10, 2009, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eng8ge
I just did the same thing and found Capt. McFadden's card (at the bottom of the pile on my desk). I think I'll e-mail him. He's probably a little disappointed that Capt. Flanagan gets the recognition while there are a number of pilots who make the same gesture.
I just received a business card from Capt McFadden last week! My very first one...
Old Apr 27, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
4/27 UA168 DEN-BOS

Currently waiting to board and no activity... Capt come out of the jetway and gets to the podium and grabs the microphone: "good evening folks, I'm Capt. Denny Flanagan and wanted to let you know how this evening's flight to Boston is going to be....."

What a great way to wrap a weekend MR to Moscow! My last leg piloted by Capt. Flanagan!.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
continued.....

So, we arrive in BOS at close to 12:45am. About 30 min prior to landing the f/a covering first hands out Denny's business cards with personal messages. What a thrill and had 1 pax behind me very vocally proclaim her excitement of receiving a biz card w/ msg from the Captain. As I understood it she flies frequently and was very much impressed by Capt. Flanagan's approach to customer service.

She also noticed when the f/a came by and handed me the book, The Age of Flight! She asked if she could look at it and I obliged. I went on to tell her how fantastic Capt. Flanagan was and how many of us here feel that Denny sets the example that all UA employees (especially management ) should follow.

I wrote a msg on the back of my biz card to have the f/a give to Capt. Flanagan and the woman behind me did the same. I tried to wait a bit but the cockpit door remianed closed .. the guys up front deserved some quiet time after dealing with some moderate chop across the midwest ^

Anyway, as mentioned in my previous post it was a great end to my Moscow MR and just another reason why I continue to be a loyal customer of UA.

Oh... Denny mentioned that we haven't had much enthusiasm for the upcoming dinner with him... make sure to check this thread out --> http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...-may-16-a.html
Old May 10, 2009, 6:02 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Couldn't find the denny flanagan thread on my bb, so it goes here. I'm on a flanagan flight! In F UA836 ORD-LGA right now. Haven't taken off yet, but did get the 757 collector card and introduced myself to the good captain. Given that I recognizes him, the first words out of his mouth were, "are you a flyertalker?" Lol. First time I've met him. Definitely doing ch9 this flight (I've been doing ch4 lately).

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

And he just handed me a copy of the age of flight. Woo! So psyched...

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 10, 2009 at 7:32 pm Reason: merge
Old May 10, 2009, 7:34 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by gobluetwo

Couldn't find the denny flanagan thread on my bb, so it goes here. I'm on a flanagan flight! In F UA836 ORD-LGA right now. Haven't taken off yet, but did get the 757 collector card and introduced myself to the good captain. Given that I recognizes him, the first words out of his mouth were, "are you a flyertalker?" Lol. First time I've met him. Definitely doing ch9 this flight (I've been doing ch4 lately).

And he just handed me a copy of the age of flight. Woo! So psyched...
If you saw a guy talking to Capt Denny who just got off the SEA-ORD 757 at your gate - that was me. Saw him standing at the Red Carpet and chatted with him for about 5 minutes.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:41 pm

First, thanks for merging my posts. I didn't realize until later that I could edit posts on my bb.

Second, sorry to say that I missed you. I'm not one of those who like to stand by the gate 15 min prior to boarding, so I had a seat pretty far from the gate (by the CS counter past gate B9) and only went up when F boarding was called.

Btw, I also got the personally handwritten biz card. Quite a haul for one flight!
Old May 18, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Plat, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I just received a business card from Capt McFadden last week! My very first one...
Just had Capt McFadden ORD-TPA (UA#632) this morning. Nice personal touch with the business card and thanking 1K's for their business. Amazing how the little things really go a long way.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:56 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The following thread may be of interest: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...-flanagan.html
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA/1K/HHDiamond
Originally Posted by HitAndRun
I have nothing against an interest story and I commend Capt Fannagan for his extraordinary efforts. Ultimately however, his efforts amount to zero because the goodwill generated by his effots are swamped my the mediocrity of the service experience provided by the majority of United employees.
Could not disagree with you more. Efforts at excellence never amount to zero and attitudes are contageous. Capt. Fannagan has high standards and a unique desire to be his best at everything. If his efforts were zero there would not be a discussion here. I am also sure others that work with him strive to be better just by his example. Kind for like playing tennis with a better player, the experience improves your game. A smile, consideration, and kindness can change a persons day and it costs zero. IMO the effort is more than worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.