Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
For the Record

Strictly for archival purposes, here is the "free" drink menu I snapped at the IAH E United Club on September 2, 2013:

Wish I'd tried a Shiner Bock when I had the chance!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:49 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Shiner is a good brew.

Seriously as a beer (not swill) drinker this really has stopped any attempt I will make to attain club membership (through card or purchase).. I know people will say "Its about the agents and why get annoyed over a small thing) well, if I am paying $$$ I don't want to have to pay for the privilege of drinking passable beer. It is just another reflection of the devaluation.. No food of any decency, swill to drink, I will be supporting local cafe's, bars and eateries..
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Shiner is a good brew.

Seriously as a beer (not swill) drinker this really has stopped any attempt I will make to attain club membership (through card or purchase).. I know people will say "Its about the agents and why get annoyed over a small thing) well, if I am paying $$$ I don't want to have to pay for the privilege of drinking passable beer. It is just another reflection of the devaluation.. No food of any decency, swill to drink, I will be supporting local cafe's, bars and eateries..
Oh my, how fast attitudes change. Wasn't it just over a year ago everyone had to pay for all booze in UC's? Unless on an international trip in business and got 2 coupons when entered?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Oh my, how fast attitudes change. Wasn't it just over a year ago everyone had to pay for all booze in UC's? Unless on an international trip in business and got 2 coupons when entered?
Yes and no. Depends on if one was a PC or RCC member. PC was always free alcohol. RCC was not.

For those of us used to CO policy, this is a big deal.

For those of us used to UA policy, this might not be.

Either way, I think it is not good to have raised the price for UC and then cheapen the product. JMHO.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
What do people think about the fact that one pays a flat rate and get unlimited entries? It's kind of an interesting cost proposition for the airline. I wonder what the makeup of members and entries is per unit revenue from the member? I'd guess that U.S. carriers have a lot more domestic lower-yielding members vs. foreign carriers, but I'm interested to hear what other people think.

I also find the rising membership rates interesting. They are going up way faster than inflation so does this mean that United's costs are going up or does it mean that United is trying to maximize revenue from the club system?
Originally, the clubs were a place to put the HVF's for airlines 'back in the day', and they were comp. Then they realized they could help defray the cost and increase the network if they offered paid memberships. I don't think they ever really expected to make the club a big profit center, they were there to make travelers more 'sticky' with them. After all, they offer cheaper memberships the more you fly. A GM paying $500 a year almost certainly won't use the club more than a plat paying $350 or whatever it is, and on a cost/use basis the plat obviously will be a much less profitable user than the Plat.

The "Rest of the world" situation is different, certainly within the EU, the lounge is a big part of "business class" experience, since the seats are Y seats.

I always thought the CO way was worse. I can't count the # of times going through IAH and EWR when the club was basically a drunken frat party. UA was more subdued. Again, given the choice between unlimited garbage and limited coupons for good stuff, I'll take the good stuff any day.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Yes and no. Depends on if one was a PC or RCC member. PC was always free alcohol. RCC was not.

For those of us used to CO policy, this is a big deal.

For those of us used to UA policy, this might not be.

Either way, I think it is not good to have raised the price for UC and then cheapen the product. JMHO.
Seeing as everybody and their mother seems to be able to enter maybe they are trying to weed out the cheapies. Last few ties I was in any UC it was so crowded it was actually more comfortable out in the terminal. And yes, I used my Chase explorer passes to get in which just adds to the crowding.

But I think they would be better served to do things to get people to actually pay for memberships and weed out all the freebie entries.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:12 am

PG is a boutique airline. You're paying for that in your ticket. BTW, which airport? I love PG's Samui and Sukhothai
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:33 pm

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Blah

Billows Vodka in the UC in ORD....

Ridiculous.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by dshafiee

Ridiculous.
Please provide a more comprehensive list!

Complimentary
Vodka:
Gin:
Rum:
Whiskey:
Beer:
Red Wine:
White Wine:

Premium choices and prices too if you can!

Thanks,
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:59 pm

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Blah x 6

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Please provide a more comprehensive list!

Complimentary
Vodka: Bellos
Gin: Beefeater for now
Rum:
Whiskey: Out
Beer: Same: Bud Light, Blue Moon, Honkers, Heineken (BT not yet on the change) Although the Heineken is out and no plans for replacement
Red Wine: Same so far (BT not yet on the change)
White Wine: Same so far (BT not yet on the change)

Premium choices and prices too if you can!

Thanks,
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:08 pm

Thank you.

If everyone else who sees the new plonk could report the same... Appreciated.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by golfingboy
UC is a joke... I am flying on Bangkok Airways on a domestic flight and even their food and soft drink offering is better than what is found in the UC. No liquor, but I'd rather decent snacks over liquor if I had to pick one.

And for the wifi, they write down a unique six digit code on your BP or a sheet of paper at the entrance, when the agent scans your BP the computer automatically assigns a pass code, and once you connect to the wifi, a landing page will pop up. Six keystrokes later you are all set.

A lot more efficient than the arcane authentication system UA is about to implement. Not to mention the speed is considerably better.

The kicker, this lounge is available to every single passenger flying on PG.

What is the point of paying for a membership when every one all the way from GS to an once per year flyer can get it for a mere $375 Less than the discount UA gives its elites.
And if you have two devices they'll scan your BP twice and give you two wifi connection codes. ^^

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
PG is a boutique airline. You're paying for that in your ticket. BTW, which airport? I love PG's Samui and Sukhothai
Other than 'boutique' being marketing hype PG has very good prices in some markets and high prices in others.... just like every airline. Your post is rather non-sensical.

[mine]
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Now that this is confirmed, I've broke the news to about 15 coworkers who all travel and have memberships. I've gotten 9 responses all of them saying they're not renewing, add myself and that's 10. Hope your pockets feel 5 grand lighter Jeff.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by dshafiee

Ridiculous.
Please tell me you're kidding. I wouldn't drink that stuff in college.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by sgfood
You might be even more underwhelmed by December. I was in the T6 club at LAX last week talking with a staffer I know well. Seems the news is the T6 club will be closing in December, along with the Global Services club in T7. Didn't get a timeline on that one but was told usage of it (GF club) didn't warrant keeping it open.

The possible good out of this is talk of a second T7 club by the bridge area.
Closing the LAX IFL doesn't surprise me at all, with (almost?) all of LAX int'l service moving to game-changing 787 and no int'l F. While the lounge closing itself will be very disappointing, a nice recovery would be to put the lounge staff in charge of customer service at LAX as they are among the very best customer service people I have experienced on any airline anywhere.

And then one wonders where the celebs will go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.